10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 12, 2015, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
In spite of what I have said elsewhere about Bogle & Amond, I am not craving that they are picked as a partnership tomorrow.

Tomlinson is a certain type of player and he's good at what he does like LJL. If he had a better goals potential he might even be playing in the FL instead of on loan to us. My point has always been that Tomlinson is a symptom of how Hurst wants his side to play. He is quite prepared to give up the goalscoring talent of Amond and Bogle for the non-stop running and tracking back of Tomlinson and rely on a clean sheet for a result.

The other side of this of course is that Bogle and Amond are a waste of money. What did he sign them for? He could have got six Tomlinsons for one Bogle if that's the way he wants the team to play.

Ron , tomlinson is a paul hurst ideal signing and fits into what he wants and how he wants to play at the minute.

The ball out the back launched up to monkhouse and looking for tomlinson to use his physical side and hope for something to happen , if im being honest amond and bogle do not fit into it.

They both like the ball into feet and to turn there man and run at the defence ,amond is also a great poacher and is it any coincidence they both scored goals when we were actually trying to play football.

Paul then did what paul does and reverted to type and then came the launch ball of a sudden, so frustrating as we are lucky to have amond and bogle and they needed sticking by and showing some faith in them but no they were out the team as soon as paul had a whiff of a longball.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
Rick12
October 12, 2015, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Ron , tomlinson is a paul hurst ideal signing and fits into what he wants and how he wants to play at the minute.

The ball out the back launched up to monkhouse and looking for tomlinson to use his physical side and hope for something to happen , if im being honest amond and bogle do not fit into it.

They both like the ball into feet and to turn there man and run at the defence ,amond is also a great poacher and is it any coincidence they both scored goals when we were actually trying to play football.

Paul then did what paul does and reverted to type and then came the launch ball of a sudden, so frustrating as we are lucky to have amond and bogle and they needed sticking by and showing some faith in them but no they were out the team as soon as paul had a whiff of a longball.
Does he like the long ball game though? Iam sure if you asked him one on one he would like us playing football thats mixed up ie short,long ,quick slow.However you can only work with whats at your disposal.Money talks at the end of the day and players are at this level(no disrespect) for a reason

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
moosey_club
October 12, 2015, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
No goals,no assists, two yellow cards, moans alot, works hard, helps us keep a clean sheet..........that would look ace on his C.V if he was a centre back.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
Abdul19
October 12, 2015, 8:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
With Pittman injured we'd only have 2 strikers if he wasn't re-signed, so it makes sense. I still want him on the bench tomorrow though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
Lordgibil
October 12, 2015, 8:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +31
If we have ambition to come top of this table we have to play with some ambition. Plenty of teams can do the long ball tactics better than we can and to suggest we don't have the talent does Arnold, Dis, Amond, Clay etc a disservice.  Paul might not realise this but he works in the entertainment industry and at the moment there are a large numbers of fans who are not entertained.  I am certainly not travelling from Leeds to see us hoof the ballup to Monkhouse and hope Tomlinson picks up the scraps. Stop being such a dour, negative misery Paul and let the players play like we know they can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
nightrider
October 12, 2015, 8:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Loads of good teams over the past 20years never had a big lump up front with little to no footballing ability so why do we have to have one?
Is it purely because the manager wants his team to hoof it down the middle or is there another reason - please enlighten me

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
grimsby pete
October 12, 2015, 8:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Arsenal are the masters of defensive football,

Yes they try and play attractive football but defence is the key,

Now let me think, when did they last win the championship ?

The most successful teams attack and have goal scorers in their team,

Come on Mr Hurst we would rather win 4 -2 than 1-0.

Play a more attacking team.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
TAGG
October 12, 2015, 8:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,940
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Maringer
Tomlinson is the new Robinson. Regardless of how he plays, he's the figurehead to those who want rid of the manager so he can never do any right. Against Gateshead, there were moans and groans among the crowd when he miscontrolled the ball early on that our other strikers wouldn't have received. He's not been brilliant for us but I understand that he was apparently a lot more involved than Bogle against Braintree. He was a lot more involved than JPP against Gateshead and FGR (though Pittman did obviously score a nice goal in that one), so he's not an empty shirt.

For me, Tomlinson looks a decent enough player at this level but his lack of goals so far is obviously disappointing. I'm surprised he's not been tried with Amond just yet. Wonder if we'll see that tomorrow?

Those who criticise Tomlinson's lack of goals so far should remember that Hearn didn't score until his 11th appearance for the club - I don't remember too many people getting on his back so quickly!

If Tomlinson is going to stay, he will hopefully bag a goal tomorrow (assuming he plays) to silence the doubters, then more after that.

Disagree that Tomlinson is 'the figurehead to those who want rid of the manager' I'm in the Hurst out camp but I'm glad he may be staying
He's not the new Robinson because Robinson is the outfield equivalent of Tommy Forecast and he's nowhere near as bad as that.
I do agree that Tomlinson does look 'a decent enough player at this level' and think he's done ok and given his all for Town. If he stays for a bit longer the goals will come.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 12, 2015, 8:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Does he like the long ball game though? Iam sure if you asked him one on one he would like us playing football thats mixed up ie short,long ,quick slow.However you can only work with whats at your disposal.Money talks at the end of the day and players are at this level(no disrespect) for a reason

Actions speak louder than words Rick.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
Maringer
October 12, 2015, 9:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,588
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TAGG

Disagree that Tomlinson is 'the figurehead to those who want rid of the manager' I'm in the Hurst out camp but I'm glad he may be staying
He's not the new Robinson because Robinson is the outfield equivalent of Tommy Forecast and he's nowhere near as bad as that.
I do agree that Tomlinson does look 'a decent enough player at this level' and think he's done ok and given his all for Town. If he stays for a bit longer the goals will come.

The statement, "Robinson is the outfield equivalent of Tommy Forecast" is just ridiculous. He did OK during his spell with us - not spectacularly well, by any means, but OK. Some took against him from the very start because they thought Clay had been dropped to bring him into the team, which we now know wasn't the case. This is a player, lest we forget, who made 27 appearances for Luton Town in their dominant promotion season when he was just a teenager so comparing him with Tommy Forecast (total career appearances: 13) is nonsense. The Kiddy fans spoke very highly of him from his loan spell, as I recall.

However, regardless of your comments about Robinson, I'm pleased that you agree Tomlinson is a decent enough loan signing. I do have to say that I'm not sure he's what we need longer-term because I think we still need somebody who is capable in the air to give us a different option and Tomlinson is not a target man. I reckon Hurst was caught out here because thought that Bogle would be able to challenge decently in the air due to his size. However, we've seen that this isn't the case so it is something we really lack. Almost certainly why Monkhouse is almost the first name on the team sheet as we need somebody who can win some headers in attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tomlinson "surprise"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.