Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 276 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,381 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
May 8, 2023, 11:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 237
aldi_01
May 9, 2023, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d be disappointed if Crocombe left to be honest. Came from nowhere, got into the team and we never really looked back. Macca was great, no denying but Crocombe comes for a cross and is quick off his line, all things that Macca wasn’t great at.

Still, I trust Hurst enough to find a decent keeper should he need to.

I think we could see some Rob Jones type evolutions this coming season; Glennon, Maher, Kahn spring to mind. They’ve shown glimmers of being decent but their lack of EFL experience or confidence at times has held them back. I really do think they could push on.

Personally I’d give Amos a contract too and I’d genuinely be enquiring about Lloyd, Rich talks about partnerships, I do think him and Orsi could develop something…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 237
MuddyWaters
May 9, 2023, 6:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,253
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d be disappointed if Crocombe left to be honest. Came from nowhere, got into the team and we never really looked back. Macca was great, no denying but Crocombe comes for a cross and is quick off his line, all things that Macca wasn’t great at.

I think we could see some Rob Jones type evolutions this coming season; Glennon, Maher, Kahn spring to mind. They’ve shown glimmers of being decent but their lack of EFL experience or confidence at times has held them back. I really do think they could push on.

Personally I’d give Amos a contract too and I’d genuinely be enquiring about Lloyd, Rich talks about partnerships, I do think him and Orsi could develop something…

Orsi and Lloyd are both quite lightweight. They both need a bigger foil to play off.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 237
Maringer
May 9, 2023, 7:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Orsi has shown some decent touches in recent matches and looks quite cool when a chance comes his way, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting the season as one of our main strikers. He's 27 years old now and has scored 3 League goals during his career. Wasn't trusted to start at Harrogate and only managed to get some starts later in the season for us when there weren't really other options.

He might be a different player alongside a younger and more capable Taylor-alike, or if we're dominating midfield, but I'm not convinced by his abilities to lead the line.

I'd like to see Lloyd back as he's quick, hard-working, has scored a few goals and looks a good all-round player. Another one, however, who I don't really want to see leading the line. He's very strong for his size and challenges very well in the air, but the useless referees in this division let the big defenders wrestle and shove him around with impunity and then penalise him if he gives any back. Their view seems to be that if a small player out-muscles a big one, it must be a foul!

I'd assume Taylor will move on (with thanks for his past efforts), so hopefully, we can finally sign that striker we couldn't manage to get last season!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 237
HertsGTFC
May 9, 2023, 10:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,938
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01

I'm optimistic that Glennon, Maher, Hunt will look much more assured next season. I also think that with a proper rest Michee will have made the adjustment. I agree re Amos but don't think he'll get an offer. We know what Khan can do but fitness has been his biggest challnege and hopefully after a proper break we'll see Holohan pass the ball better, but he'll have Khouri snapping at his heels for sure.

Max will be interstesting as Battersby isn't staying we could be looking for 2 keepers, I can't remember when that was the case but Hurst will have a plan,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 237
jamesgtfc
May 9, 2023, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm optimistic that Glennon, Maher, Hunt will look much more assured next season. I also think that with a proper rest Michee will have made the adjustment. I agree re Amos but don't think he'll get an offer. We know what Khan can do but fitness has been his biggest challnege and hopefully after a proper break we'll see Holohan pass the ball better, but he'll have Khouri snapping at his heels for sure.

Max will be interstesting as Battersby isn't staying we could be looking for 2 keepers, I can't remember when that was the case but Hurst will have a plan,

I don't think we've needed to sign two keepers in the summer since 2010 when we signed Kenny Arthur, loaned Richard O'Donnell and brought Steve Croudson out of retirement.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 237
diehardmariner
May 9, 2023, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
I think we need an upgrade at left-back.  I like both Glennon and Amos but we're not outstanding in that position.  I think the decision is made really in that Amos is out of contract, Glennon isn't.  If both were out of contract I think it would be an interesting decision to say the least.  Based on this season alone, Amos is the better performer. But Glennon has shown, albeit, 3 years ago what he can do.  I'm definitely in agreement that he looks leggy and slower this time round, I can only guess that's down to injury - hopefully pre-season will sort that.  He definitely looked slower after his injury break earlier in the season.

Crocombe is a fine 'keeper, but he needs competition.  No 'keeper is exempt from this.  Complacency is dangerous.  McKeown was at his best when he had someone genuinely challenging him too.  I liked the aforementioned Eastwood, but I've seen a lot of Rochdale fans on Twitter say they buggered up when they put him in the side, not sure you can apportion too much blame considering they were circling the drain all season...

Centreback looks pretty decent to me. Waterfall and Maher is as solid a base as you're likely to get at this level.  Still believe Smith ends up a Town player over the summer.

Rightback - perhaps controversial but I wouldn't be kicking doors down to sign Emmanuel.  Incredibly anonymous for most of his time here.  Showed what he can do but definitely didn't it anywhere near enough.  One thing you can say in his defence is that he hadn't played for 18 months and went straight into the team.  Is there enough confidence that he will be much better with a pre-season?

Midfield needs something in it.  That something, for me anyway, comes in the form of Hunt (and to a lesser extent Khouri) making their mark over the summer or upgrading.  

Width is lacking.  Khan's a decent attacker but not really a proper winger.  I'd like at least one in who really stretches teams.  

Up top, I'm very much of the belief that Orsi and Lloyd could be a decent pairing.  We don't need a Taylor figure to lead the line every week.  Sometimes you need that option, but not always.  Our best pairings in recent history haven't been big blokes.  Woods/Rees, not a big bloke there.  Rees just used his body well, as do both Lloyd and Orsi but just to different effect.  Nogan/Lester, again Nogan was just very good at using his body to look after the ball rather than dominate his defender. Lester on the other hand had strength but it was an awkward, niggly style.  In some ways what Lloyd does when he gets in and behind.    Even Bogle and Amond lacked that traditional centre forward.  Bogle was/is a bloody big bloke.  But he wasn't a battering ram and it was Amond who led the line of the two.

Yes, we'll need a presence and an option (a Livvo type, if you want).  But it shouldn't always be a case of Big Bloke and AN Other.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 237
diehardmariner
May 9, 2023, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Maringer

I'd assume Taylor will move on (with thanks for his past efforts), so hopefully, we can finally sign that striker we couldn't manage to get last season!

I thought the same, until he didn't come on yesterday to get chance to say goodbye.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 237
Surrey97
May 9, 2023, 10:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
Expecting Crocombe to move to Scotland, and Bryn Morris to head back to Hartlepool.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 237
supertown
May 9, 2023, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,457
Gold Stars: 53
I’m not reading that  Crocombe tweet as a goodbye , just a ‘thanks for the great season’
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 237
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.