Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 93 Guests

FGR v Town Match Thread

This thread currently has 30,841 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
March 20, 2014, 11:16am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from cmackenzie4
This is a football forum where we as fans air our views, how can this have an impact on the how the players play, i would imagine that the players and manager don't take any notice of the fishy, or even realise it exists.

You seriously suggesting players/managers dont think message boards exist? Many are very aware of what is posted.
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 261
cmackenzie4
March 20, 2014, 11:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from BIGChris

You seriously suggesting players/managers dont think message boards exist? Many are very aware of what is posted.

I am sure they are aware of message boards existing, but why would what you,me or anyone else post affect the way they play?  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 261
GrimRob
March 20, 2014, 12:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,464
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I am sure they are aware of message boards existing, but why would what you,me or anyone else post affect the way they play?  

People like to feel loved. We should try an experimental week where everyone writes positive things about the players, managers and team. Then we'll see what effect it has.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 222 - 261
jonnyboy82
March 20, 2014, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from BIGChris

Well good if they do read them they wil see how drunk off the majority of the fans are.

The good thing about the uk is free speech is encouraged and not everyone agrees with each other.

The sense of the negativity is that most fans can see were this season is heading AGAIN.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 261
jonnyboy82
March 20, 2014, 12:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from cmackenzie4
This is a football forum where we as fans air our views, how can this have an impact on the how the players play, i would imagine that the players and manager don't take any notice of the fishy, or even realise it exists.

Exactly mate.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 261
RoboCod
March 20, 2014, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
We've had weeks where the positivity is brimming  over on here, Town will have won 2-3 on a trot and played exceedingly well and all the talk on here is how we should win the game the following day or whenever. Either they choose not to look in on those occasions or they just get all giddy at the thought of being so popular and then play like a bunch of nervous amateurs.
Ridiculous notion, a bit like pleading with the fans to Pack the Park then the boss complaining that the players get a bit nervous in front of 4,000+ fans, as has happened.

Get some backbone.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 225 - 261
FishOutOfWater
March 20, 2014, 12:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I think you're dead right in saying what is posted on here shouldn't affect them on match days Chris

Maybe some do read this and maybe some don't...it opens a can of worms though if our players do choose to take on board what's said because there will be some who feel affronted by the criticism and abuse and let it affect their confidence and others who will react to the negative comments and think "I'll show them".

Confidence / psychology / kidology.....every player has his own personal make-up and how they respond to external factors

If they are confident in their ability (such as Nielson) then maybe it's water off a duck's back so to speak, because he'll stilll try to outwit defenders and go forward knowing there's a risk he might lose the ball but he'll do what he can to beat the man

But there'll be others who are a bit lacking in confidence and criticism won't help a bit...Shop being blasted for missing sitters etc, Disley being moaned at for not "giving his best", Cook being criticised because he's "not fit", Rodman running into blind alleys etc etc

At least though the lads have a choice whether or not to look on here (and on other site such as Twitter) ....it's a different matter at games though where they get abused just for having their names read out pre-match and then some of the moaners get on their cases for the slightest error

One thing I've always done is try to support my team...maybe I'm too much a "glass half full" type but when push comes to shove, I always think you get a better response from positive support than you ever do from being on someone's back.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 226 - 261
Les Brechin
March 20, 2014, 12:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I'd suggest that it affects them more than you think Chris. I'm going back about 5 years now and I slagged off one particular player believe it or not who will remain nameless, on another forum.

A couple of weeks later I got a PM from a relative of this player asking me to remove my post as he'd seen it (and the subsequent replies, most of which were along the same lines) and it was affecting his confidence.

Strange I know but what is posted on the internet DOES affect the players.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 227 - 261
cmackenzie4
March 20, 2014, 12:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I do believe there is no place on here for name calling or personal insults, But if a certain player/players are not performing or don't look interested then fans have a right to air their views and demand more, it's all part of having a forum surely?

That said if a player plays well and gives his all he deserves full praise off us fans. Players surely have to play their part too though.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 261
RichMariner
March 20, 2014, 12:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 212
Quoted from GrimRob

Totally disagree. I think the unrealistic expectations of us taking the league by storm every season leads to a negative aura and demand for whoever is manager to be sacked after every point dropped.

Completely agree with this.

Every fan is entitled to his/her opinion, and if they choose to demand automatic promotion every season then that's up to them. They'll say that's what we should be aiming for; people like me would love for them to be right but I choose to remain more realistic.

It's my choice and I'm not telling anyone how they should think or behave. But having such high expectations all the time means you're more often than not disappointed with the eventual outcome, and I'd rather not live my life like that.

It's sport. It's a game of football. Games are supposed to be enjoyable. Some are, some aren't. You have to take the rough with the smooth in life.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 229 - 261
27 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.