Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 57 Guests

FGR v Town Match Thread

This thread currently has 30,852 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
March 20, 2014, 6:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob

People like to feel loved. We should try an experimental week where everyone writes positive things about the players, managers and team. Then we'll see what effect it has.

I will start it off then Rob,

I love Hursty and think he is the best manager we have had since Buckley,

I love all the players and think they all work very hard for the manager and us the fans,

I am sure Saturday will be the start of a 12 game  winning run which will see us pip Luton to be the champions by one point.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 261
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 20, 2014, 6:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,049
Gold Stars: 191
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'd suggest that it affects them more than you think Chris. I'm going back about 5 years now and I slagged off one particular player believe it or not who will remain nameless, on another forum.

A couple of weeks later I got a PM from a relative of this player asking me to remove my post as he'd seen it (and the subsequent replies, most of which were along the same lines) and it was affecting his confidence.

Strange I know but what is posted on the internet DOES affect the players.

Do tell les

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 261
Teestogreen
March 20, 2014, 6:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

I will start it off then Rob,

I love all the players and think they all work very hard for the manager and us the fans,

I am sure Saturday will be the start of a 12 game  winning run which will see us pip Luton to be the champions by one point.

Nice one Pete - hopefully we'll love them at 5.00 pm on Saturday

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 242 - 261
Abdul19
March 20, 2014, 6:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,627
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from grimsby pete

Better than Mike Newell and Neil Woods? Faint praise indeed

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 261
grimsby pete
March 20, 2014, 6:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Abdul19

Better than Mike Newell and Neil Woods? Faint praise indeed

I loved Newell and Woodsie as well.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 244 - 261
TAGG
March 20, 2014, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 3610

If you are so Unsatisfied with the budget given to hurst why don't you set yourself up in business ...... anyone can do that you know....... Choose anything you want to sell..... work hard and earn millions and then plough it all back into the club to watch someone else spend it on the wrong type of player. After that you can then expect someone on a forum to then have a go at you for not spending enough of your hard earned cash.

I dont want my own business.
I work thousands of miles away from my wife and children and work hard enough thanks.
I dont want a football club.
Those who do though should try harder not to take the team plummeting down the leagues.
If they do this then they should take responsibility and get them back in the FOOTBALL LEAGUE whatever the cost.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 261
Tom13
March 20, 2014, 8:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from TAGG

I'm suggesting that something substantial is done not just sitting on their hands.
You just prove my point that too many fans have become used to being losers. I dont blame you Tom its just that we have been used to that sort of losing doom & gloom mentality seeping from the very top over the last few years
Where you satisfied with the business we did in January or do you think as I do that more should have been done????????

We did something substantial last year in January (and in doing so spent all our money from the FAT run) and that didn't come off as we'd hoped.

I was satisfied at the time with our business because I didn't want to derail our promotion bid with poor signings which would disrupt the momentum of the team as we did last year. I can see now with hindsight why some people would be unhappy because the Tounkara signing hasn't come off as we'd hoped, but I think the run of games we've had coupled with the injuries we've had has made us wonder whether the business has been sufficient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 261
marinette
March 21, 2014, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I think some people might look at the Town fans who weep and wail and gnash their teeth over every setback and think, ‘Blimey, I wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with that lot.’

On the other hand, the whingeing could be quite a healthy outpouring in a culture where the norm (for men at least) is stiff upper lip, keep calm and carry on, big boys don’t cry, and the rest of it.

Not really sure about Rob’s idea of pretending to love the players as an experiment.  If I was a player my response would probably be ‘Yeah, whatever – phoney gits.’

People deal with negativity in different ways.  Every so often Town will bring in someone who I instantly dislike with an almost irrational intensity, and the only way forward is to see the funny side.  I can reel off a whole list of names – Peter Beagrie, Mike Newell, Michael Reddy, Parky (!) Adam Proudlock, Richard Brodie….Last season became a permanent Brodie Watch, as I searched in vain for something to like about him… pretty futile, but at least it kept me interested.  And sometimes, after a while, I surprise even myself … Parky!

Private Message
Reply: 247 - 261
psgmariner
March 21, 2014, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from marinette
.. Every so often Town will bring in someone who I instantly dislike with an almost irrational intensity, and the only way forward is to see the funny side.  I can reel off a whole list of names – Peter Beagrie, Mike Newell, Michael Reddy, Parky (!) Adam Proudlock, Richard Brodie…

Michael Reddy's stands out a mile in that list! How anyone could not be captivated by his greasy long hair, Irish accent, mazy runs, lightening pace and fantastic ability is beyond me.

The others I am in agreement with. Parky did grow on me though. He was actually OK and always did well when we were on TV. Butt ugly though.

Private Message
Reply: 248 - 261
ginnywings
March 21, 2014, 12:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
What i find annoying is the fact that anyone who criticises the team or manager on here is instantly branded a doom monger or a moaning twit, as if staying positive makes you some kind of moral crusader for GTFC and that being positive will get us winning. I attend 99% of home games, never shout at the players, never boo, and clap them off if they have give it a go, win lose or draw.

What i voice on here is more concern than anything. Hurst has been here exactly 3 years and we look no more likely to get out of this league now than we did then. We have not progressed at all from last season, gone backwards if anything, yet several teams around us have improved dramatically- some of those with far less budgets at their disposal. I think that is a cause for concern and if JF isn't concerned, then he should be. It's possible after Tuesday that we could have 14 points from 14 games.

It's also possible that we will win the next 2 games and storm into the play offs. We can only go on what has happened, not what might happen, so if you want to stay optimistic, then fine, but don't then call anyone without that optimism a doom monger or moaning twit- saying that we only come out of the woodwork when Town lose. Not all of us do and i've been saying for months that i don't think PH has what it takes.

Sincerely hope i am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 261
27 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FGR v Town Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.