chaos33
April 18, 2014, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,955
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from meggietown
Thought wood was lucky to stay on as well blatant double handed save an wish they would of shown his goal line clearance first half looked a good foot over line

Exactly what I thought

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 75
jonnyboy82
April 18, 2014, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We could have easily lost it as much as we could have won it

Not overly impressed tbh especially with the defending.

Today we got aswad thomased again.

Great support.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 75
chaos33
April 18, 2014, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
A decent Town performance marred by individual errors that cost us all 3 points.

Good going forward and in some spells played some good composed football.

Thomas got forward well down the left, Neilson was great on the right and Paddy was ok. Thanoj and Kerr did well in the middle although Thanoj went very quiet the more the 2nd half went on.

Hannah was nice and lively and pleasing to score any striker score a hattrick. Although 1 was a scuff and 1 a penalty. His second might well have been onside despite what BT sport guys said. Difficult to tell from the angle their camera was at.

Thanoj should've scored after that lovely move when Paddy flicked it into his path. Disley gets a lot of criticism on here but that was the type of chance Disley has been finishing for the last couple of years.

Alfreton's 1st goal was a good break from them but we we didn't react well to being unorganised when they broke.
We were well on top at the end of the 1st half and kept the ball well. Then 2nd half they started stronger.
Their penalty was a penalty. Stupid defending from Pearson who had his hands all over Akinde and then made a challenge and as soon ad he did you knew it was going to result in a foul.

Pearson did his best to make amends by winning a penalty after throwing Kempson a stepover and ambling into the box. After we got this 3rd goal we were well on top and looked likely to score again.

Then out of nothing an instinctive decision from Thomas to try and head the ball (don't know what the communication was like down there) and it ends up at their strikers feet to poke in.

Good performance. Just need to cut out the individual errors at the back now. Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.

Good summary

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 75
moosey_club
April 18, 2014, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Tommy

Good performance. Just need to cut out the individual errors at the back now. Neilson MOM for me, best player on the pitch.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Neilson!!! He didnt do anything until the 61st minute other than give it away, you cant give MOM for a 30 min cameo surely?

Hannah with a hat trick for me or possibly Hatton for pretty steady performance at right back.
Kerr is going to cost us big time with his over playing of the ball, thought he was poor again today personally.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 75
MeanwoodMariner
April 18, 2014, 8:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from moosey_club

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Neilson!!! He didnt do anything until the 61st minute other than give it away, you cant give MOM for a 30 min cameo surely?

Hannah with a hat trick for me or possibly Hatton for pretty steady performance at right back.
Kerr is going to cost us big time with his over playing of the ball, thought he was poor again today personally.

I think it was a mixed bag for virtually every player. Agree regarding Neilson, he was terrible first half but looked a threat second half. There's a fine line between being composed on the ball and dallying, Kerr trod both sides of that line. Hannah scored all 3 so surely has to be MOM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 75
BIGChris
April 18, 2014, 8:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I thought that when we got the ball down and played then we looked good. They had a spell at the start of the 2nd half but then the home team is always going to do so.

I agree totally with the poster above who thought Kempson could have got a straight red for the first half challenge through the back of LJL . That was a challenge from the 1970's, he then pulls Hannah back by the throat before giving away a penalty when Pearson heads towards goal. As an absolute minimum that is 3 yellows or 2 reds and a yellow (if you get my drift)

I haven't had the benefit of watching the tv or reading the other threads but we could have had a hat full. Their keeper made a great save from Hannah's header first half, Boyce looked very close to scoring, Paddy should have done so as should Noj. Pearson hit the bar and it must have been very close to the ball going in during the first half? YET they could argue they gave us 3 goals, what was their keeper doing for the first, twitter suggests the 2nd was offside (?) and a stupid foul from Kempson for the 3rd.

I hope we get the ball down and play with the same verve and attacking intent on Tuesday and we don't make unnecessary changes, If Ross is on the bench I will go mad! Hopefully Rodders should be fit by then.

Persons challenge was very silly and from the Town end looked a nailed on penalty, Thomas probably felt he had to stretch and try and get his head to the ball as he could reasonably expect a striker to be behind him. Communication?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 75
Tommy
April 18, 2014, 8:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from moosey_club

I thought he was doing ok but most of our play just went down the left, with Thomas getting in behind their full back a few times. He was still drifting into good positions and I didn't think he kept giving the ball away 1st half at all, but thats how people see a game differently I guess.

Good shout for Hatton though. He covered across when the centre-backs were beaten a couple of times - once when Akinde turned Boyce (I think) and was in on goal but for Hatton covering. It also helped Hatton having Neilson on his side showing/wanting the ball, as opposed to Colbeck hiding.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 75
Happy_Mariner
April 18, 2014, 8:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
My thoughts having not been in a while.

Going forward we looked a real threat. Shop was excellent and is a real focal point for our attack. Was disappointed to see him go off and I thought Cook was poor when he came on. To me he doesn't look good enough. I liked Kerr in the middle as he gets his foot in and is quite calm in possession. Neilson can be great but too hot and cold. As soon as Wood was booked I thought he should have got at him more. Hatton was steady and did ok but Thomas on the other side was poor. Doesn't do a great deal going forward and cost us the third goal with a bad error. Centre halfs started well but faded against a physical front two. Pearson had a shocker on the penalty. McKeown needs to be more commanding. Should have come for the third instead of Aswad heading it. Hannah very lively and delighted with the hat trick but fades in and out of the game.

Overall though thought it was a very entertaining game but definitely, on chances, three points dropped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 75
chaos33
April 18, 2014, 8:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hatton?!? He was very disappointing at times, summed up perfectly by the shamefully wasted free kick near the end that he decided to shoot from, ballooning it over the bar when a good delivery into the box for players to attack was the thing to do. I was also infuriated to see him not busting a gut to get a block in on an Alfreton player pulling the ball back from the touch line near the end. Nielson, MOM or not, was patently the best player on the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 75
Tommy
April 18, 2014, 8:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from BIGChris
YET they could argue they gave us 3 goals, what was their keeper doing for the first, twitter suggests the 2nd was offside (?) and a stupid foul from Kempson for the 3rd.

Not certain whether Hannah's 2nd was offside or not. The camera angle isn't the best to judge from. The angle makes it look offsife but its nowhere near being in line with the call. I think he could well have been in line.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.