8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
April 18, 2014, 10:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,932
Gold Stars: 26
I wonder were we can find a coach who used to be a left back with say 15 yrs league experience?

Lost on me Chris! get your drift with Hurst but are you saying IYO he is not getting the coaching, or is and can`t take it on board, enlighten please
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
grimps
April 18, 2014, 10:45pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,133
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Garth
I wonder were we can find a coach who used to be a left back with say 15 yrs league experience?

, enlighten please

Brian Laws is free  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
louth_in_the_south
April 18, 2014, 10:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

So we are too insular to learn from other sports and individual development techniques are we?

How do you know he hasn't had this coaching since the Huddersfield game ? Or his hand held and cuddled and told he's the best fullback in non league

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
StiggsGTFC
April 18, 2014, 11:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

How do you know he hasn't had this coaching since the Huddersfield game ? Or his hand held and cuddled and told he's the best fullback in non league

Leaving aside the general football coaching aspects it would be be
interesting to find out what individual development techniques are used though wouldn't it.

Though I guess you are of the school that the mental side of the individuals game needs no outside development help?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
barralad
April 18, 2014, 11:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Well, I only saw the first half but was left wondering about the difference between Town in attack mode (i.e. today) and any of the last four away league games (excluding Dartford) where the defence looked strong(er) but attacking nous was sadly lacking. It certainly made for a more interesting half but ultimately we are two points worse off. Perhaps that is the way it is at our level-difficult to have both with any regularity.
As I said I cannot comment on the second half but got in the first half all the evidence needed as to why P.H. sees LJL as a pivotal player for the team.
Plenty of evidence also for those who believe that the "ball-players" in midfield should have more of a look in. I'll leave it for others to comment on whether what Dis brings in terms of goals and support for the defence outweighs the undoubted improved service for our strike force.  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
moosey_club
April 18, 2014, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226

Sorry, MUST disagree...
Bit of a watershed for me today, but two things are clear.
Firstly the Shop... Tries like hell, big heart, but no instant control or class in front of goal.  
UTM

Did you see LJL win the ball back to instigate the first goal and put in on a plate for Hannah for his second?
LJL earnt his wages today.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
brad_gtfc
April 18, 2014, 11:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Cracking atmosphere from the town fans, and the best attacking performance I've seen for a long time from us, just stupid silly mistakes at the back have cost us the game.

Thought Macca was poor today, and silly mistakes from Pearson and Thomas have cost us really.
Pleased to see Thanoj on the pitch, a very calming influence and always looking to get the ball down.
Hannah was back to his old self and hardly ever offside for a change, should've won the game for us though late on I thought.
Thought Lenny made the ball stick up top, but his distribution after that he'd got hold of it left alot to be desired.
How Kempson stayed on the pitch I'll never know.

Well done to all the travelling town fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 18, 2014, 11:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,711
Gold Stars: 79
Reference your last comment Barra I would, if he is fit, put Dis back in & leave out Kerr on Monday. Ask him to play a bit deeper, think he does do some solid work defensively, and give others freedom to bomb on against what hopefully will be weaker opposition.

Also gives Kerr a rest and another opportunity to see if we can continue to create more goalscoring opportunities. Have to say after Tuesday todays attacking display was very enjoyable pity we decided to lose defensive shape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
Rick12
April 19, 2014, 12:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimps

Brian Laws is free  
hope Hurst can get us out of this league but the one I like and admire is John Still.I know he hasnt had it all plain sailing in his managerial career  eg with Barnet whom were relegated with him at the helm but managers learn.One of the things I like about him is his preference for choosing mentality over ability and his no nonsense attitude

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
oldludensian
April 19, 2014, 7:33am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from moosey_club

Did you see LJL win the ball back to instigate the first goal and put in on a plate for Hannah for his second?
LJL earnt his wages today.

Too true, I thought LJL held it up well, sprayed it about, competed with the physicality/cheating of Kempson and headed a few on. Far superior than the saviour Cook I'm afraid.

Also, no one appears to have mentioned Thomas saving us from conceding another by a pretty blatant hand ball near in the second half.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.