Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

Lennel John-Lewis.

This thread currently has 13,838 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 14, 2014, 10:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
The funny thing, of course, is that one of our two currently fit strikers hasn't actually scored a goal in his past 42 appearances stretching back almost 18 months (and hasn't looked like scoring in the past 2 games, being barely involved). Seems to have escaped the notice of most people as there has been no real mention of this fact.

Perhaps we need a few hysterical posters pointing out that this is obviously going to lead to the end of the world in every other thread?

Come on now. You're setting up false dichotomies. Just because someone thinks LJL isn't the answer, it doesn't mean to say they think AC is the answer either.

And how much match time has AC had over that period compared to LJL? Connell has hardly been first choice at higher division clubs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 133
KingstonMariner
August 14, 2014, 10:24pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The funny thing, of course, is that one of our two currently fit strikers hasn't actually scored a goal in his past 42 appearances stretching back almost 18 months (and hasn't looked like scoring in the past 2 games, being barely involved). Seems to have escaped the notice of most people as there has been no real mention of this fact.

Perhaps we need a few hysterical posters pointing out that this is obviously going to lead to the end of the world in every other thread?

And this is just as much nonsense as these mythical doomsayers. There's more exaggeration in that sentence than in anything anyone has said about our (lack of) hope.

If your focus is only the last two games* then yes, there's still lots of scope. When you take the longer view you'll see there is actually little change in our prospects.

* I think you're actually much more intelligent than that, but are just over-doing the Cod Almighty Diary balancing act.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 133
KingstonMariner
August 14, 2014, 10:27pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98
If you all got the intercourse off John-Lewis' back then maybe he'd start scoring? You know, not feeling quite under so much pressure? The fishy really is full of complete and utter fucktards these days.

He must have had fans on his back before he came here then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 133
Maringer
August 14, 2014, 11:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
The problem is that he's getting slated by a section of the fans for a couple of misses of the sort that all strikers have from time to time. Didn't see the game on Saturday so have to assume that his miss then was bad, but the one on Tuesday simply wasn't as bad as people are making out (from my viewpoint). Cross coming in a bit behind him so had to lean back to get around it. He ought to have hit the target still, but he's received nothing but criticism and the fact he managed a few efforts on target (which forced a couple of good saves) is ignored. Perhaps he's just unlucky that the two 'sitters' have come in close proximity to each other.

To use the Livvo analogy yet again, LJL is not necessarily there to score the goals himself, he's there to help the rest of the team and the better players to do their jobs. Livvo rarely even got close to double figures in a season but I don't ever recall him being endlessly criticised for his lack of goals.

My point about the hysteria on this board is that it is aimed at just one player and completely ignores the failings of any of the others. Scapegoat is the word that comes to mind.

As for our prospects this season, our defence looks a good bit stronger to me, the central midfield is improved with the arrival of Brown (and the departure of Thanoj who I never rated and Kerr who was just too slow), Arnold and Mackreth look to be good signings, we've retained Neilson and the loss of Rodman is the only way in which I think our team is weaker this season. I wasn't disappointed by the departure of Cook who flattered to deceive most of the time and hopefully, Pittman will be able to use his strength and pace to some benefit if he can find some fitness. I've still got my fingers crossed that we'll sign another striker or general attacker before to long to give us further options up front.

All in all, I still think we're better set than last season, despite the less-than inspiring start this year.

We're not likely to blow many teams away, but we can certainly go the Cambridge route and keep things tight at the back whilst grinding victories out. We just need some of our injured attacking players to get back to fitness quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 133
davmariner
August 14, 2014, 11:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, for one, I posted on several occasions that I didn't want Connell back and for two, LJL isn't exactly a new kid on the block, we've seen his limitations for 18 months now and I seriously don't believe that you can base an attacking threat around someone who is clearly a less that prolific goalscorer. Even when we are full strength, as you put it, LJL will be one of the first names on the team sheet. I'm not going to boo him, abuse him, shout at him or any of that, but I am, like you a GTFC supporter, and perfectly entitled to have an opinion!

Don't be so ridiculous. This is The Fishy, a football message board in which people are slated for having a differing opinion.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 133
LondonMariner43
August 14, 2014, 11:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,957
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from mariner tommy

Get off his back ?
He's a grown bloke for gods sake, He is employed by GTFC to score goals which he isn't doing.
Any striker in this country will get stick from the fans if they're not doing what they're employed to do.
If he or anyone else for that matter, cannot take the criticism when it comes his way, and justifiably at the moment, then they might as well pack up and go home.
It's criticism, and everybody gets it from time to time, and for another poster to suggest that LJL is a hate figure is also just as ridiculous. Of course he's not hated.
When you're employed as a striker there's only one way to get people off your back.
UTM

Is that your boss says to you if you make a mistake at work?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 133
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 15, 2014, 12:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
To be honest I have tried to ignore this debate but a few pints and I cannot resist giving my view.

Firstly, I would not want ljl to leave the club as I think he has a role to play but I would see this as playing in a number of away fixtures where his work rate would be an asset and then as a substitute coming on later in the game, particularly when we are holding on to a slender lead. His goal scoring record is all for there to see but IMO his overall contribution is overrated by many on here. Yes he works his socks off and I admire his commitment to the club, something we all know has been lacking in many of our players in recent years, but in reality does he hold the ball up well? Does he bring in pick out colleagues with quality passes and or good flick ons? Does he win more headers then he loses? Does he create havoc in the oppositions box? Does the fact that he is in the side dictate some of the negative style football we witnessed last year? I have four no's and one yes in response to these and it is this which is the difference between play offs and championships.

Finally, I have read on other threads that we continued same as same as in our style on Tuesday but I, who am not PH's greatest fan, do not agree with this. I thought we tried to keep the ball on the ground far more and with no wide players it was not a night to assess how we will play this year or where we will finish in the league.

Hopefully, come saturday some of these are back and both our strikers have scored a brace, now the beers taking over so off to bed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 133
August 15, 2014, 12:12am
Guest User
This argument seems to be between fans who think LJL works his socks off to lead the line (which is true),
and those who think he doesn't score enough goals (which is true).

Can't see it being resolved any time soon...  
Reply: 57 - 133
DocTower
August 15, 2014, 7:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from 137
This argument seems to be between fans who think LJL works his socks off to lead the line (which is true),
and those who think he doesn't score enough goals (which is true).

Can't see it being resolved any time soon...  

Sums 18 months up so well .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 133
Maringer
August 15, 2014, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
LJL didn't hold up the ball overly well on Tuesday night. However, most of the reason for this is because the standard ball he was receiving was coming at head height whilst he was marked by 2 or 3 players! In fact, this has been a big failing of our play in the last season or so as the passing to the forwards (whoever they are) hasn't been good enough. I'm hoping that this will improve as the midfield gels and we get the pacier wingers back in the team to create more options. That said, some of the passing on Tuesday was pretty horrible with straightforward passes from midfield being underhit and intercepted on numerous occasions, especially in the first half.

On Tuesday, I think a big problem was that the gap between the midfield and forwards was just too big because of our lack of attacking midfielders and don't forget they had 7 men back defending pretty much all of the time so neither of the forwards got much of a kick.

LJL is clearly never going to be a great goalscorer, but at this level, forcing defensive errors from opposition players is a big part of attacking and he's currently the only one of our strikers who has the physical presence to achieve this. A fit Pittman would offer a different proposition as he also looks strong but with an extra turn of pace.

I do feel that criticism of LJL goes over the top most of the time - fair enough criticising misses, but he's even getting blamed for our players punting it forward too often as an easy out ball! Hardly his fault if the other players aren't doing their jobs properly, is it?

Just hope things improve shortly with injuries so we get some more of the attacking players coming back and can create some more chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 133
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennel John-Lewis.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.