MeanwoodMariner
October 7, 2015, 9:21am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mariner_09

JT was also right about that the hurt of 5 years in "non-league" has built up and we are desperate to get out and I also agree that Hurst doesn't seem to appreciate this either.

I think this is a problem among fans. The fact we have been down here 5 years is just not relevant to the decisions Hurst makes, or how hard the players are trying. The idea that we've served our time, or had enough of this league, or are somehow owed a return to the league now is doing nothing but make fans frustrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
mike_d
October 7, 2015, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
A bloody damp Tuesday night?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
Rick12
October 7, 2015, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Liked his interview.However people will always have opinions and you cant keep them all happy.In truth I agree with most of his views on the interview.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
Rick12
October 7, 2015, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I think this is a problem among fans. The fact we have been down here 5 years is just not relevant to the decisions Hurst makes, or how hard the players are trying. The idea that we've served our time, or had enough of this league, or are somehow owed a return to the league now is doing nothing but make fans frustrated.
I feel things are improving under Hurst albeit slower than some fans seem to like.Look at Luton for one.Arguably a bigger club and it took them 5 years to get out of this league

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I thought it was reasonable of Hurst to mention the few fans who made sarcastic applause directed at Macca, but I would have liked to have heard him balance that out with some positive comments about the vast majority of supporters who showed Nathan Arnold fantastic and warm support.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
A Brace Of Tees
October 7, 2015, 9:32am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry
I haven't heard the interview yet (as we cannot get it on our PCs at work ) but if his comments about some of the fans were in answer to a question from JT then fair enough, but this wouldn't be the first time he has had a moan about some of the fans and for me managers should just let it go, having a moan wont win those fans back as even Alan Buckley found.

If JT wanted to ask a question about the fans perhaps a more pertinent one would have been why did he think there was 1200 fans missing from Saturday.

Pretty obvious that - it had been pissing down with rain most of the day and some of our fans probably couldn't afford to attend 2 home games in 4 days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
excusebeef
October 7, 2015, 9:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
What is annoying me at the moment is that people forget how together the club and players became under Hurst's management. Losing your top goal scorer from last season coupled with the fact that the playoff final losers generally have an almighty bubble burst moment (Wrexham, Kidderminster, Gateshead to mention a few). Given town have not lost in 8 games, have not lost to Wrexham, Tranmere, Forest Green and Gateshead. We were 12 points off top and now only 4, we're in a fantastic points position to start to turn the screw a bit.

I think the manager was absolutely spot on in the interview last night to protect the closeness he has been working hard for.

Everyone knows it takes 10 games minimum for a team to gel, plus the fact he's had injuries along the way, it seems no coincidence we are becoming hard to beat again. Coincidence? Think not, we've always been sturdy under Hurst.

One final point, I liked the way Hurst says that despite fans having their favourites, yes Amond and Bogle have scored the most goals as a partnership, we also shipped more goals the other end and its the team that he cares about and not individuals.

I will see you all at Braintree Saturday where I for one will not be in the moaning minority. I have a moan away from the games but never directed towards town players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
barralad
October 7, 2015, 9:54am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry
I haven't heard the interview yet (as we cannot get it on our PCs at work ) but if his comments about some of the fans were in answer to a question from JT then fair enough, but this wouldn't be the first time he has had a moan about some of the fans and for me managers should just let it go, having a moan wont win those fans back as even Alan Buckley found.

If JT wanted to ask a question about the fans perhaps a more pertinent one would have been why did he think there was 1200 fans missing from Saturday.

It's not clear from your answer whether you went to work after the game. If not then surely that must be one of the reasons? People working evenings?
I thought historically mid-week league games always attract lower crowds...

EDIT:- Just read your contributions on other threads so obviously you were there (I thought it was strange!). Point still stands though-shift workers?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
big al
October 7, 2015, 10:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Excellent point. Every time we draw or worse, lose, I immediately revert back to all the deep seated feelings I have about being in this league. That's why I think PH is the man to help me and others exorcise those ghosts by getting promoted. I think he's put together an even better team than last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
dapperz fun pub
October 7, 2015, 10:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Just listened to the interview and thought it was fair enough tbh but having said that when the manager critisizes his own fans small minority or not it's never a good thing usually
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursts interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.