ginnywings
October 7, 2015, 5:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I wonder if pressure just tells a bit sometimes. Must be pretty horrible at times when people are speculating over your job and when I think how nervous I am watching the last five minutes of a game so god only knows what it's like for managers. I know he's paid to deal with it and a positive interview would have been more use but he generally conducts himself in a very dignified way.

I sat in the Main Stand for a while last season and the abuse he gets from some in there is horrendous. Hard for him to ignore when they are right behind him but i'm afraid it goes with the territory as some people think they have a right to hurl abuse. I know a lot of it is frustration but i get frustrated and don't feel the need to shout crap at the top of my lungs to players and the management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2015, 5:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
More a reflection of them as people than anything else I guess. Didn't I read on the match thread that there was some confrontation with a screaming Main-Stander before the game? Maybe that set him off and then a bit of (predictable) mock cheering of Macca and it just built up to a bit of an outburst. Agree with you that it would've been better if he'd bitten his tongue but understand why occasionally managers struggle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
Grimal
October 7, 2015, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters
JT was fine last night - as was Paul Hurst, someone once said ' you can't please all of the people all of the time' and PH needs to remember that. We played pretty well last night and should/would have been out of sight last night had the strikers taken their chances and Macca not made his howler.

Many sat near me last night are frustrated with the needless points we've dropped and the feeling when Gateshead scored was 'here we go again', surely he feels that himself? There is a feeling out there that, on the balance of play, Wrexham (where we ironically drew) could have been the only game we've lost so far.

Poet, John Lydgate  .  I didn't know that but google is a wonderful source of useless information..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
moosey_club
October 7, 2015, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
I actually think, on reflection , that Hurst was more pleading for unity and stressing the importance of support to the players than he was intentionally having a go.  For which, of course, he is right.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
barralad
October 7, 2015, 7:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Alan Buckley was far more dismissive of the opinion of fans than Paul Hurst could ever be. It was almost a weekly occurance that he'd get involved in a slanging match with fans in the Main Stand especially in the early days. I can only wonder what his reaction would have been to the shenanigans last night. Someone said earlier that the fans have a right to moan and heckle. The right is pretty undeniable but I cannot think of any other form of entertainment where five thousamd people think they can do a better job than the professional paid to do it.
I dont know how long it has been on but I caught a programme on R.H. tonight where they are still debating it! Talk about overkill!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
LH
October 7, 2015, 7:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
It's only because Hull haven't got a game this week and the RLs finished! We'll be back on the backburner again from next week.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from barralad
Alan Buckley was far more dismissive of the opinion of fans than Paul Hurst could ever be. It was almost a weekly occurance that he'd get involved in a slanging match with fans in the Main Stand especially in the early days. I can only wonder what his reaction would have been to the shenanigans last night. Someone said earlier that the fans have a right to moan and heckle. The right is pretty undeniable but I cannot think of any other form of entertainment where five thousamd people think they can do a better job than the professional paid to do it.
I dont know how long it has been on but I caught a programme on R.H. tonight where they are still debating it! Talk about overkill!

Agreed. It was on RH Sportstalk tonight. As I said earlier - it's a mountain out of a molehill - both the mistake by Mckeown and everyone's reaction to Hurst's comments. I see the whole thing as no big deal and would rather talk about the performance and move on.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
nightrider
October 7, 2015, 8:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Buckley wasn't very good with the fans was he. The difference being he delivered 3 promotions and 0 relegations so could get away with it.
And for all the praise he now gets, people seem to forget the awful low attendances when he was in charge
They were crap. I started going in 90/91 and even with big away followings, I think our average attendance was under 6k most seasons
So basically, the fans must like the current regime baring in mind how many went against Forest Green

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 7, 2015, 8:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Could be worse. He's not Des O'Connor be appearing at the Glasgow Empire.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
Neilo83
October 7, 2015, 8:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Grimsby is in buckleys heart, was like a fan arguing with a fan, he was very passionate... Hurst is the exact opposite in every way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursts interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.