9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Caesar
April 29, 2016, 2:09pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Quoted from sam gy
For anyone interested, and anyone who still thinks that the Police weren't at fault for this horrific tragedy, please read this article. I found it to be really in depth and well written and I learnt more than I had known previously:

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades?[/url]

Just got to say thanks for sharing that link and encourage others to read it, very thorough article and a fascinating read, although somewhat sad obviously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 88
Cloudy
April 29, 2016, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Caesar

Just got to say thanks for sharing that link and encourage others to read it, very thorough article and a fascinating read, although somewhat sad obviously.

David Conn is an excellent journalist. If you get the chance I strongly recommend people read his books, The Beautiful Game, The Football Business and a few more
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 88
Vance Warner
April 29, 2016, 7:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,798
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Cloudy

David Conn is an excellent journalist. If you get the chance I strongly recommend people read his books, The Beautiful Game, The Football Business and a few more

Fully agree. He's certainly got a lot more integrity than the so called journalists who work for papers that didn't even cover Hillsborough this week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 88
Teestogreen
May 2, 2016, 12:06am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from big al

No, was wrong. This one's even more despicable.

Big Al   Did you design the security fence in the Leppings Lane end at Hillsborough? - where there were no relief gates, it seems, to enable crowd to evacuate on to the pitch - not just for over crowding but in the event of a fire? Intrinsic design is at the top of the tree in terms of human safety and risk assessment, and management arrangements are much lower down the hierarchy of scales. Unfortunately, intrinsic design was not in place for this stadium, and management arrangements (being lower down the hierarchy of scales of risk assessment) has been found out and punished.

The managers of the stadium appear to have got away with it i.m.o. - (which is wrong).

Where is the H.S.E. to provide the guidance / judgement that it preaches?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 88
May 2, 2016, 10:46am
Guest User
Did the 33 fans who got killed at Bolton get justice?
Reply: 84 - 88
HertsGTFC
May 2, 2016, 11:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Agree 100% with this.  The Thatcher govt was divisive, creating a view of society where if you weren't 'one of us' then you were part of the enemy within.  If you were a trade unionist, a Labour supporter, a football supporter, a foreigner, you weren't part of the Tory world under Thatcher.  The police wasn't only institutionally racist - it was infiltrated by a lot of right wing thugs.  Not all the police but enough of them
to treat the likes of football supporters with contempt - a crowd to be controlled with force and treated like cattle, not to be kept safe.

The police are to blame but they operated within a culture that was set by Thatcher and Murdoch.

Re the above, absolutely spot on, If you did not own your own home, rack up debt on consumer goods, buy shares in Nationalised companies you where thought to be some kind of weirdo lefty. Their contempt for the working man, naked aggression towards amongst others the striking miners and the political capital milked from the Falklands crises where two of the most detestable things of that regime.

On a number of occasions this included they would wheeled out that twit Colin Moynihan who was meant to be the sports minister but was one of Thatchers lackeys to politicise sport and talk about tournament withdrawals when they should have been seeking out the true causes and the guilty.        

Some should be embarrassed by the type of society they created in the 80s.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 88
RoboCod
May 2, 2016, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 28195
Did the 33 fans who got killed at Bolton get justice?

The dead and injured were taken from the railway end terrace, with those who had died lain along the touchline and covered in coats. A little under half an hour after leaving the pitch, the game was restarted, with a new sawdust lined touchline separating the players from the corpses. At the end of the first-half, the players immediately changed ends and started the second half. Stanley Matthews was on the Stoke team, and later said he was sickened that the game was allowed to continue

So no, there was no justice. You'd hope that we'd have moved on from such brutal treatment and flagrant dismissal of responsibility for football fans from 1946  though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 88
FishOutOfWater
May 2, 2016, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
I've not got much to add to this sorry story of how those innocent fans lost their lives but to say that over time what would have become just a distant memory for lots of us - say like the Ibrox disaster in the early 70s - this still generates so much comment because not for just what happened on the day but because of the cover up, the lies, the deceit of the SYP, blaming the victims and not admitting their wrong-doing

When I first heard on the day what was going on it made me think of a night match at Hillsborough where I and many other Town fans were being held outside the ground waiting to get in when the game kicked off

Same approach but on a smaller scale....we were all getting impatient and then when Town scored twice in the first couple of minutes we were more and more agitated so when we got in we of course all ran to get to the terraces going through that tunnel

I don't usually get claustrophobic but being in there does make you nervy so what those poor folk must have experienced beggars belief

For the authorities who we should be able to depend upon to then subject the families involved to such contempt, to have witness stories discredited and for the powers that be to conspire to pervert the course of justice is absolutely disgusting

I can't begin to get my head around what the families who lost loved ones might have endured for the past 27 years but being older and wiser since it all happened and having become a parent gives me another perspective

Anyone of us could have been caught up in such an event as young football fans and the loss of life that they suffered is unforgivable

It's the years thereafter where the pain has been prolonged that is criminal. Families suffering and grieving to this day because of spineless selfishness on the part of SYP  and other establishment figures, this so needs to be kept in the public domain until there is an outcome that delivers some closure for those affected.

Only when those who abused their positions of power and who lied to the public are taken to task. will justice be seen to have been served

#JFT96
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 87 - 88
nightrider
May 2, 2016, 11:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Only born in the mid 80s but wasn't it Thatcher who let everyone own their own home?
And everyone lapped it up. They couldn't get enough. Meant they couldn't go on strike

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hillsborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.