Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 143 Guests

Retained list

This thread currently has 41,382 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 8, 2023, 8:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Heisenberg

That took me a while to click, actually!

Attachment: img_3475_4395.jpeg
Size: 7.90 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 237
Maringer
May 8, 2023, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
Where do we think Crocombe is heading, then? I have a feeling it might be off to, say, a League One club.

He's been a very good player for us.

A real shame about Cropper's injury problems as he would have been useful backup this season. If he can keep himself fit, that weapon of a throw will ensure he has a decent career in the lower divisions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 237
Maringer
May 8, 2023, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Don’t really understand the downer on Glennon who I believe will get better with more league experience, he’s not perfect but few players at this level are but as always a game of opinions.

I think the lack of pace is the main issue. He's not really slow, but everything is done at full-stretch so what should be a regulation tackle often ends up being a last-ditch lunge. Amos a bit quicker, but not as strong in the air or quite as good on the ball. I think we'll sign someone else to compete for the position with Glennon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 237
Poojah
May 8, 2023, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,562
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Maringer
Where do we think Crocombe is heading, then? I have a feeling it might be off to, say, a League One club.

A real shame about Cropper's injury problems as he would have been useful backup this season. If he can keep himself fit, that weapon of a throw will ensure he has a decent career in the lower divisions.

I like Crocombe, and think he’s done well for us, but at almost 30 his spell with Town has been comfortably the best of his career. His CV before signing for us was seriously underwhelming, hence why he effectively joined us as a non-league second fiddle ‘keeper.

To that end, if he has the opportunity go step up to a higher level and / or earn more money then you can’t knock the lad for doing so.

If he does, and let’s not forget that all we have right now is rumour and conjecture, then at least in Hurst we have a manager who has a canny eye for a goalkeeper. He of course signed McKeown, who despite his loss of form and confidence towards the end of his time here was player of the year a record 5 times. He signed Dean Henderson too, though you can argue that he didn’t bother to play him, I suppose.

And he picked up Max Crocombe no less, seemingly out of nowhere. I’d heard of Max, but only for his on-pitch toilet break and subsequent red card. He was a left-field signing who arrived with next to no fanfare. I’d like him to stay, but if he doesn’t, I’m not concerned about whoever replaces him.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 237
Mariner93er
May 8, 2023, 9:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,737
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Maringer

I think the lack of pace is the main issue. He's not really slow, but everything is done at full-stretch so what should be a regulation tackle often ends up being a last-ditch lunge. Amos a bit quicker, but not as strong in the air or quite as good on the ball. I think we'll sign someone else to compete for the position with Glennon.

This is the issue for me. It's like he's running through sand which is strange because I don't remember him being slow when on loan. It's noticeable how often people get in behind just because of his lack of pace to cover. Hopefully he can work on it over the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 237
RichMariner
May 8, 2023, 9:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
Whoever Hurst signs in the summer, I'd really like to see more partnerships in the team.

If you asked me to name one solid partnership that has developed - between two strikers, two centre backs, down the left, down the right, in the middle... I'd seriously struggle.

I think this reflects the stop-start nature to our campaign.

We've tweaked formation more times than I care to remember, and hardly ever named the same starting XI in back-to-back games since we seem to react more to what the opposition are doing than be bullish about our own style.

There are many reasons for why we've had to be like this (short-to-no pre-season, late in making summer signings since we didn't know what division we'd be in, etc), so I'm not having a go.

But we've had Green, Hunt, Holohan, Clifton and Morris in the middle this season. I couldn't say any of them have developed a partnership since they've all been heavily rotated.

Up front, no partnerships. Some half decent displays here and there from individuals, but no 'big man small man' threat, or anything like that.

In the wide areas, Efete and Glennon have been selected most, but in front of them it's been chopping and changing all the time — again, injuries, formation changes, adapting to the opposition, etc, have dictated this.

If we had a game next week, I couldn't tell you what formation we'd play or who'd be in the starting XI.

I truly think one of the reasons we've never been able to string a load of good results together at any point this season (you know, win four on the bounce, go 10 unbeaten, that kind of thing) is due to a lack of understanding between players throughout the squad.

An 11th place finish, all things considered, isn't bad since we spent the last 5-6 months lower than that.

Early signings, a commitment to a certain formation and certain style of play, and the ability to establish partnerships throughout the starting XI will be the way to take this team and club forward. Thankfully we've all known what division we'll be playing in next season for ages, so hopefully this has helped with early contract negotiations and I think we can expect some business to be done early this time round.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 25 - 237
forza ivano
May 8, 2023, 9:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,188
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Maybe Grimsby born Harvey Cartwright or martija sarkuc could be tempted 😂😂

Cartwright would be interesting. There was some talk of a link up in January ,but he went off to Wycombe.
He's very highly rated I understand
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 237
Meza
May 8, 2023, 10:01pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Jake Eastwood?
Yeah, he was good if I remember correctly, but was only Rochdales sub keeper this season

Which is why they went down  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 237
TAGG
May 8, 2023, 10:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Maringer

Crocombe to a league one club, not with them jelly hands he won't.
Nice bloke but not good enough if we want to progress.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 237
CSLM
May 8, 2023, 10:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +641
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from RichMariner
Whoever Hurst signs in the summer, I'd really like to see more partnerships in the team.

If you asked me to name one solid partnership that has developed - between two strikers, two centre backs, down the left, down the right, in the middle... I'd seriously struggle.

I think this reflects the stop-start nature to our campaign.

We've tweaked formation more times than I care to remember, and hardly ever named the same starting XI in back-to-back games since we seem to react more to what the opposition are doing than be bullish about our own style.

There are many reasons for why we've had to be like this (short-to-no pre-season, late in making summer signings since we didn't know what division we'd be in, etc), so I'm not having a go.

But we've had Green, Hunt, Holohan, Clifton and Morris in the middle this season. I couldn't say any of them have developed a partnership since they've all been heavily rotated.

Up front, no partnerships. Some half decent displays here and there from individuals, but no 'big man small man' threat, or anything like that.

In the wide areas, Efete and Glennon have been selected most, but in front of them it's been chopping and changing all the time — again, injuries, formation changes, adapting to the opposition, etc, have dictated this.

If we had a game next week, I couldn't tell you what formation we'd play or who'd be in the starting XI.

I truly think one of the reasons we've never been able to string a load of good results together at any point this season (you know, win four on the bounce, go 10 unbeaten, that kind of thing) is due to a lack of understanding between players throughout the squad.

An 11th place finish, all things considered, isn't bad since we spent the last 5-6 months lower than that.

Early signings, a commitment to a certain formation and certain style of play, and the ability to establish partnerships throughout the starting XI will be the way to take this team and club forward. Thankfully we've all known what division we'll be playing in next season for ages, so hopefully this has helped with early contract negotiations and I think we can expect some business to be done early this time round.

Good summary.
I think the left has the most potential from what we have. Glennon and Khan have a decent understanding, when in a 3 at the back Maher looked dangerous down the left to.
Last few games Hunt has hit some early switches, it has been hit and miss, and I think there are good partnerships building there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 237
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Retained list

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.