Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 226 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,687 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
April 13, 2014, 7:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,030
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
It's also worth pointing out, amidst the gloom, that of the likely/possible opponents we might face in the play offs, that this season we've beaten Cambridge, beaten and drawn with Gateshead, beaten Braintree, beaten Alfreton. So the only potential opponent we haven't beaten is Halifax. Let's hope we can put that right on Tuesday.

Another point I'd add is that I've repeatedly read that Macclesfield and Barnet are two of the most attractive, entertaining sides in the division. Who wants to swap with them?

The only point I'd raise to the attractive business is the fact we don't seem to have it in our locker to go and pass a team off the pitch. Well, not under Hursts stewardship anyway. It's fine winning one way all the time, that makes you a good team.

Winning all sorts of ways make you a very good team and for whatever reason, we've shown nothing to say we can have that edge to be a very good side. Just my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 144
BIGChris
April 13, 2014, 8:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew

The only point I'd raise to the attractive business is the fact we don't seem to have it in our locker to go and pass a team off the pitch. Well, not under Hursts stewardship anyway. It's fine winning one way all the time, that makes you a good team.

Winning all sorts of ways make you a very good team and for whatever reason, we've shown nothing to say we can have that edge to be a very good side. Just my opinion.

I haven't seen a side in the conference in 4 years who can "pass a team off the pitch"!

Not a criticism but how many times have you seen Town this season? I appreciate your job keeps you away from Gy and I recall you posting previously that you cannot get to see the team as often as you would like
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 144
Marinerz93
April 13, 2014, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
A few weeks ago I didn't believe we had what it took to get into and stay in the play off's.  Within a couple of games we jump straight into the play off's and so far maintained our 3rd position.  Being a fan you go through the motions of belief and non belief and this debate has certainly got posters sitting firmly in their camps.

Pontonlew who is at times rather over dramatic, does raise valid points.  However, it is clear to see that the team is developing at the right end of the season to give us a fair shout.

We need to start being more vocal at home and to help that, the club needs to open up the Osmond.  I can't believe a few weeks ago that I thought we had bottled it and now I am starting to get that buzz that something good is coming our way.

This is the business end of the season and we should all be singing off the same hymn sheet.  If at the end of the season we don't make it then it won't be because of the lack of trying from all parties.  We will regroup and go at it again next season.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 144
pontoonlew
April 13, 2014, 9:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,030
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from BIGChris

I haven't seen a side in the conference in 4 years who can "pass a team off the pitch"!

Not a criticism but how many times have you seen Town this season? I appreciate your job keeps you away from Gy and I recall you posting previously that you cannot get to see the team as often as you would like

I'd point to York City for that, my point being that your Lutons, Mansfields and Newports of this world had loads in their lockers.

I'd say I've seen about 10 games, which is about every game I could've physically seen. Understandably it seems urine poor as to how I could have such a view on our season but I'd counter that by saying the games I have seen have given me a pretty good idea of the way we've set out to play. The commentary and the posts on here do the rest, all of which underwhelm me as to the standard of our performance so far this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 144
Rodley Mariner
April 13, 2014, 9:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
When did you last go? As for being informed by posts on here, lots of people who go regularly seem far less negative about the team and manager than you are. Do you only take information from the negative posts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 144
barralad
April 13, 2014, 9:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from pontoonlew

I'd point to York City for that, my point being that your Lutons, Mansfields and Newports of this world had loads in their lockers.

I'd say I've seen about 10 games, which is about every game I could've physically seen. Understandably it seems urine poor as to how I could have such a view on our season but I'd counter that by saying the games I have seen have given me a pretty good idea of the way we've set out to play. The commentary and the posts on here do the rest, all of which underwhelm me as to the standard of our performance so far this season.

It took Luton's money several years to get to the position they are in today. I don't think you'd find many of even the most loyal Luton fans who'd agree with that definition.
Mansfield did well last year partly because of the huge sum of money generated by their cup match with the Scousers. I went to the away game at their place and I certainly wouldn't be holding them up as a shining example of how the game should be played.
Newport had money and all they had "in their locker" for me was the same grit and determination that our players are showing this year-particularly away from home. They did a job on us in the Play Off semis but it sure weren't pretty.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 144
GrimRob
April 13, 2014, 10:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Another point I'd add is that I've repeatedly read that Macclesfield and Barnet are two of the most attractive, entertaining sides in the division. Who wants to swap with them?

You could guarantee that if we did play more expansive football like them then many of the negative posters on here would complain about the lack of defensive solidity and over-attacking football. In the so-called glorious Buckley era there were loads of detractors complaing about overpassing. Many people wanted to get rid of him when he was sacked in 2000 as they felt he'd taken us as far as he could (the same accusation which is levelled at PH today by some).

No football team is ever perfect, you can always find faults, or you can find plus points. Some people are negative by nature. Personally I'm a glass half full man rather than half empty.

The bottom line is people like to come and watch a winning side. That's what gets the gates up, not style of football.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 116 - 144
April 13, 2014, 10:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

"The posts on here....... "

This is exactly why negativity on forums and social media is a dangerous thing because negative behaviour and perception is very catching.

Your constant criticism of hurst and the team when you haven't been to a game may well convince someone else who hasn't been to the that game that we are in a lot worse position than what we really are- like how someone's previous negative comments on here have helped you come to your negative conclusions.
Reply: 117 - 144
Madeleymariner
April 13, 2014, 11:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Vance Warner

What a bizarre comment. Do we rely on the opposition not scoring or do we have an excellent defensive record based on a well organised back 5. Any team the records three clean sheets in a row away from home does more than [b]rely on the opposition not scoring. Can't get my head around it being a lottery how many points we get when we concede either.[/b]

Everyone's entitled to their opinion etc etc. The problem with posting negative comments on a public forum is that eventually it becomes divisive and risks affecting the confidence of the players. It's not Buckley football but some so called fans even moaned when AB was in charge. Get behind the lads until the end of the season (on the pitch and off it) and then make a judgement.

Since Christmas when the opposition have scored we won 4 drew 6 lost 5. I would say that goes some way to proving my point about complete reliance on our defence. And I dont think we have come from a losing position to win a game since new year either.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 144
April 14, 2014, 12:15am
Guest User
Phew! So to try and sum things up:

Some fans - who are accused of negativity - think we are not playing well enough to approach the play-offs
with any confidence, and...

...other fans - who are making the said accusation - point out we are likely to make the play-offs (something
which is not widely disputed) and the whole thing then becomes just a 'lottery'.

I'd say the logic is probably just about with the "some fans", but then the "other fans" point out that the
negativity doesn't help and what can we do about it at this stage of the season anyway? - which are also
valid points.

Perhaps it's best if we all just support the team, and keep our mouths shut and our fingers crossed!
Reply: 119 - 144
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.