Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,684 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 13, 2014, 11:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Caesar

I can agree with that then and say we have never been flying this season, but my point is suggesting that it will be a miracle if we go up and if we do we are the poorest team ever to do it is extreme.  This league is a tough one as we can see by how much teams relegated from league 2 sturggle but if we finish 3rd we have improved on last year and massess on the two years previous to that.  I cannot believe that the quality of the confernce has decreased that much, if we get promoted (and I agree we will have to improve and are not favourites) we will be as good as any other team to have gone up via the playoffs, ie. as good as is necessary.  

The quality of the teams in the Conference has improved every year since automatic promotion was introduced. This isn't to say that the quality of the football has improved that much though. Every season two teams are relegated to the Conference and the majority have been established Football League teams. The Conference has gone from a virtually total semi-professional league to a predominantly professional one. Most seasons there seems to be a team like Crawley or Fleetwood who invest heavily on the gamble that they will get promoted but this isn't guarenteed. FGR are an example of a lot of investment last season with no promotion and not being able to sustain that this season.If we go up this season I can imagine there will be a lot of changes in playing staff - some not being good enough for league football and some just wanting away , like Hatton. I'm sure PH is totally aware of who he thinks he will need next season if we are promoted. I think it is foolish for us fans to look at this squad and think we won't be good enough to survive in the Football League when the odds are that the squad will be completely different when the new season starts.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 144
April 13, 2014, 11:32am
Guest User
Can I just say that I would be unbelievably happy if we were the worst team ever to get promoted out of this league, and it happened this year.
Reply: 81 - 144
lowerfindus
April 13, 2014, 12:55pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
I think the major concerns of those labelled as moaners is the fact that potential is not being transformed into performances on the pitch. We have a good budget, a solid squad that is reasonably balanced but the managers obsession with collecting strikers and then swapping and changing (all bar one ) , dubious subs ( good job Nielsen was kept on for once yesterday ) and a apparent acceptance of these "just enough" performances causes questions to be asked. He does nothing to put these right, we should have spanked Chester by three or four. The pen was a disaster and he openly admits in his post match interview that he doesn't name a penalty taker before the kick off thus the scenes of  Tonks, Hatton and Nielsen arguing who was going to take it. That's poor, he even said post match that he would have had Hatton take it, well your the manger, sort it out FFS!

I don't think its wrong to ask for more considering PH has been here a little while (in modern manager terms) and seems to be making similar mistakes to last season, has he learnt anything from our dismal performances against Newport ?

We all want promotion but are we really giving ourselves the best possible chance going into the playoffs at the moment?

UTM

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 144
Madeleymariner
April 13, 2014, 1:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Problem we have is we rely on the opposition not scoring, if they do then it seems pretty much a lottery of how many points we get from the game. There are a few good attacking teams in this league that score plenty of goals, we will struggle to beat them by scoring just 1 from the meagre 4 or 5 chances we create in a game, and unfortunately we play 2 of these teams before the end of the season and will most likely meet one of them at some point in the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 144
pontoonlew
April 13, 2014, 1:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,027
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Problem we have is we rely on the opposition not scoring, if they do then it seems pretty much a lottery of how many points we get from the game. There are a few good attacking teams in this league that score plenty of goals, we will struggle to beat them by scoring just 1 from the meagre 4 or 5 chances we create in a game, and unfortunately we play 2 of these teams before the end of the season and will most likely meet one of them at some point in the play offs.

This, this this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 144
Theimperialcoroner
April 13, 2014, 1:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
In a previous post, I think it was Les, it was mentioned that very few teams get promoted playing pretty football. AB2 was An exception but even he knew that you had to have a very solid defence to go up. Davison kept a record number of clean sheets that year. Over recent weeks we've become tighter at the back and have collected a decent points tally.
Sladeball was similar in that it relied on percentage football and at times was dull as ditchwater. It was again effective though and but for his disgraceful actions at the end of that season, we'd have gone up then too. Point I'm making is that there are many ways to skin a cat, and this team show a number of characteristics that could get us promoted. I just hope to god they pull it off. Suggest BP is made to be a febrile couldron on Tuesday night, though this will be difficult with the number of moaners and chunterers out there. But just remember what a huge game it is for us and get down there with your energy focused on urging the team to win rather than worrying that they are not playing tika-taka football.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 144
oldun
April 13, 2014, 2:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It is time some people came to terms with the fact that we are in The Conference and not the Championship. I know it is not always great but we are where we are with a good chance of getting back into League Football something everyone would have been happy with prior to the season starting, so get down to BP on Tues and support the team in a positive way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 144
barralad
April 13, 2014, 2:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Bradford Mariner
The so-called 'moaners' on here want nothing but the best for this club, especially promotion to the football league, so get off their backs.

What they see is such consistently poor performances that they realise that promotion is extremely unlikely unless things change and there are a lot of fans who share that view.

All views and opinions are valid and if you don't share them, tough. Deal with it.

UTM

Thanks for the permission to deal with it.

I'm "dealing with it" in my own way which is to post counter arguments. That is unless of course your expertise extends past your own peculiar brand of inspirational support into telling others how and what to think.

A simple question:- Do you believe that by being consistently negative you are actually helping the situation?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 144
barralad
April 13, 2014, 2:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Sconeboy
I honestly am in shock that anybody on this board can say that yesterday was a 'good performance'.

It was WOEFUL!!

Nobody wants to be saying this, but it was just so so bad and we were playing 19th in the table!!

Have a lie down dear!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 144
Bradford Mariner
April 13, 2014, 3:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from barralad

Thanks for the permission to deal with it.

I'm "dealing with it" in my own way which is to post counter arguments. That is unless of course your expertise extends past your own peculiar brand of inspirational support into telling others how and what to think.

A simple question:- Do you believe that by being consistently negative you are actually helping the situation?

Yes I do believe that people posting comments which don't necessarily conform with others views are both helpful and appropriate. Just because they don't coincide with the your view and that of others doesn't make them negative. In fact, they just might be more realistic.

For example, I don't think we'll get promoted this season because I don't believe we're good enough, often enough. This might not be a view shared by many other supporters but I haven't got a problem with that.

At the end of the day, we all want the same thing for this club, we just have different ways of expresssing it.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.