Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 167 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,685 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
LongEatonMariner
April 12, 2014, 7:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I agree with lew and I did go today..

Does that make me a doom merchant?

Not necessarily, and if you are so be it. I just like a bit of balance and I get the feeling there is a bit of negativity when there doesn't need to be.

We could be playing better / worse, we could be scoring more / less, our league position could be better / worse.

It still pains me to say it but we are currently non league & we can't expect to knock it about like we did in the days of championship footy.

Let's hope this season is a big step to getting closer to those days.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 144
mariner83
April 12, 2014, 8:01pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
[url]http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/grimsby-town-2-chester-fc-6981735[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 51 - 144
LongEatonMariner
April 12, 2014, 8:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mariner83
[url]http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/grimsby-town-2-chester-fc-6981735[/url]

That report seems to say for the first hour we were far superior, and dare I type it, good?  Granted the writer will have been watching Chester all season tho!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 144
FishOutOfWater
April 12, 2014, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner83

Reading that you'd almost believe that Town were the better side on the day and deserved their win....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 144
FishOutOfWater
April 12, 2014, 8:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from pontoonlew

My point is that we went over all of these points last season and we wound up getting embarrassed in the play-offs. I nor anybody else want to feel that again at the end of this month, we just seem to be sweeping it under the carpet and coming up with the same cliches. If I didn't care about the eventual out come or was overly negative I wouldn't be posting any of this.

We're simply boring as hell to watch, we have been for about a year now. We failed last season after we just dribbled into the play-offs, playing poorly but grinding them out. 'Sign of a good team' they said, 'play-offs is a lottery' they said. I have to say I disagree with both, we haven't earnt the right to say playing badly is the sign of a good team because we don't play well enough throughout the season. I sit and see the budgets we all have in this league and see how exciting some of the teams around us are to watch and just think why do we look so far off on the pitch?

We've scored the least goals in the top 5 and barely have the defensive record to back that up as we rank 3rd amongst the top 5. Out of the teams who occupy the play-offs, we have the worst form in the last 10 games. We've got 2 wins against the top 5 this season and have the second lowest points tally against the top 5 with 7 points. So I'm not entirely sure where people get the idea that we beat these teams or play better against them comes from, 2 wins and a draw from 7 games against the top sides isn't great form.

Onto Hurst and the Cook situation. If everything had gone to plan today, Andy Cook wouldn't had been in the squad. The reason for that? Can you give me an honest reason why Cook deserved that? Our top scorer last season, the Non League young player of the year who has been given no chances of a proper run to show what he can do. He's given half a chance at Dartford and plays well, better than Tonk and Hannah and gets MOM. Today he was lucky to get on the bench at the last minute, he then goes on to get a goal and play very well. Is Hurst supposed to pretend that he's engineered that? Cook came on ahead of Hannah because Tonk was shattered and he insists on playing a big man and a little man, no matter what happens it HAS to be that. He's destroyed Cook this season, other players have been given countless chances no matter how the play yet Cook can't even get in the squad 2 days after being the MOM.

As I've said before, I say this because I care very much about how we do. I just do not see how we can justify that we're in any position to give the play-offs a real crack. We're tough to beat prehaps, but when push comes to shove I don't personally believe we can play so poorly and think we can go on and win the play-offs. It's not me wanting to be negative, I can just see striking similarities between this side and the one which let us down so badly last season.

I'll be there on Tuesday, showing support as I always do whenever I go to the games. My views on here do not affect my willingness to drive the team on when I go, in the hope that at some point we turn it around and kick on. Because we do have the squad for it, but for me i'm not seeing the signs that we're going to do it, which is frustrating.

Point taken but we (and our other play off rivals) also have better form in the last 10 games than the team that will go up as champions

Form going in to the play offs whilst good for confidence means not a lot really if you consider Kidderminster's push at the same time last season

I may not be 100% sure of how we'll fare if / when we get in to the play offs but who's to say we can't pull out three 1-0 wins and go on to get promoted?

Until we're in the thick of it, then it's all speculation as to what will happen
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 144
Tom13
April 12, 2014, 8:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
A point worth making also is that Nuneaton (who were in the play offs when we beat them) have now sunk as low as 13th - the past few weeks could have been much worse despite not being convincing.

The main thing is we look solid again defensively, and three consecutive clean sheets as we had a couple of weeks ago could well be all we need if we can nick one at the other end - look at Newport last season, they never convinced me but they made it through the play offs somehow!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 144
Roast Em Bobby
April 12, 2014, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
I didn't think we were anywhere near as bad as people are making out. For large parts of the game we were on the front foot and it was nice to see us playing more to feet. There was some quite good intricate football at times and we could have easily have scored at least another two. The back four was fine (paddy did especially well at left back), Kerr played better than I've seen him do for a while, Rodman and Neilson also worked hard and looked threatening going forward, Jennings links the play very well (very rarely loses the ball and sprays the ball about very well) however he's coming to deep and does look short in confidence in front of goal. Tonka also played pretty well, as did cook and than on when they came on. I can't get my head around people being so negative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 144
JonoGrimsby777
April 12, 2014, 8:41pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +16
Some good points made by both sides of the argument here.  Most important thing is that we don't start falling out at this stage of the season!

I wasn't at the game today (because of work) but have been reliably informed that we won without playing particularly well, which sounds very similar to the majority of our games in 2014.  While it's good that we are third and look like making the play-offs, we don't seem to be learning the lessons of last season's failure.

We don't seem confident enough to dispatch teams at home when we really should be beating them and have gifted away silly points in the process.  The quality in the squad is there but it's not be utilised very well. PH is starting to be appear weak to me recently, made worse by the fact that he sounded like he was going to burst into tears in Tuesday's post-match press conference.  However, he was part of a management team that has built a good squad that is capable of succeeding at this level, and I still have faith in him to be the man to fire us back up.

I think that we all badly want Town to succeed and any criticism we make comes from our desire to see Town back in the Football League, as long as it's constructive criticism.  Although I didn't hear any booing on Tuesday, booing a player before he steps up to take a crucial pen is not good.  I will be at the game on Tuesday and will be there again if we make the play-offs, in much hope of Town picking up form and eventually being successful.  Also, where has the atmosphere gone in home games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 144
petethemariner
April 12, 2014, 8:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Desperately hope we bring our A game with us on Tuesday, we really owe
Halifax one!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 144
GrimRob
April 12, 2014, 8:48pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I don't believe this side is not good enough for L2 (we beat two L2 clubs in the FA Cup this season) but even if they aren't there's nothing to stop us changing most of the squad next year as nearly all the team are out of contract anyway. Let's worry about what happens next season when it comes around.

3 points at this stage of the season is job done. In football you get 3 points regardless of how you win. There are no bonus points as there are in other sports. We are obviously hard to beat (Woking thought they'd done it twice and they were wrong). Only 1 team has beaten us by more than one goal next season and we're playing them next.

We're doing well. Wake up if you think we're not!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.