Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 173 Guests

Not good enough.

This thread currently has 16,677 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
April 12, 2014, 6:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I agree with lew and I did go today..

Does that make me a doom merchant?

Pretty much  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 144
jonnyboy82
April 12, 2014, 6:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad

Pretty much  

Because who says?

You and some others..

Nah.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 144
barralad
April 12, 2014, 6:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Because who says?

You and some others..

Nah.

It doesn't matter that much to me. I just don't understand how someone who wasn't at the match Lew) can have a view on the performances of the players and expect to be taken seriously....especially when the commentary was being given by someone who had a player down who wasn't on the pitch!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 144
jonnyboy82
April 12, 2014, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad

It doesn't matter that much to me. I just don't understand how someone who wasn't at the match Lew) can have a view on the performances of the players and expect to be taken seriously....especially when the commentary was being given by someone who had a player down who wasn't on the pitch!

Fair point.

I thought today we were just about above average.

And re the cook goal he could seriously not miss,  it was as easy as they come after neilson did all the hard work.

I just struggle since cambridge away to think were we have played well to convince me and others that if we get in the playoffs that we have that performance in us to do it..

For me its deja vu from last season with a not as strong defence.

I do of course want us to do it I really do..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 144
April 12, 2014, 6:46pm
Guest User
Agree with lew if we are lucky enough to get out this league then we would have to be one of the poorest teams ever to gain promotion to the football league, and would surely be one of the favourites for relegation.
It's just one stuttering performance after another I also agree with a previous poster I've seen most of the home games and there isn't one league game that stands out were we have totally dominated and looked a class above, hope I eat my words but from what I've seen nowhere near good enough and we won't get promoted.
Reply: 34 - 144
barrattstandman
April 12, 2014, 6:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Absolutely spot on Lew. I urge everyone who hasn't read it to read the Geoff Ford column in Friday's ET. An excellent article by a Town fan. He sums things up just so correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 144
barrattstandman
April 12, 2014, 6:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +477
Gold Stars: 17
Absolutely spot on Lew. I urge everyone who hasn't read it to read the Geoff Ford column in Friday's ET. An excellent article by a Town fan. He sums things up just so correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 144
ackomariner
April 12, 2014, 6:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from pontoonlew

My point is that we went over all of these points last season and we wound up getting embarrassed in the play-offs. I nor anybody else want to feel that again at the end of this month, we just seem to be sweeping it under the carpet and coming up with the same cliches. If I didn't care about the eventual out come or was overly negative I wouldn't be posting any of this.

We're simply boring as hell to watch, we have been for about a year now. We failed last season after we just dribbled into the play-offs, playing poorly but grinding them out. 'Sign of a good team' they said, 'play-offs is a lottery' they said. I have to say I disagree with both, we haven't earnt the right to say playing badly is the sign of a good team because we don't play well enough throughout the season. I sit and see the budgets we all have in this league and see how exciting some of the teams around us are to watch and just think why do we look so far off on the pitch?

We've scored the least goals in the top 5 and barely have the defensive record to back that up as we rank 3rd amongst the top 5. Out of the teams who occupy the play-offs, we have the worst form in the last 10 games. We've got 2 wins against the top 5 this season and have the second lowest points tally against the top 5 with 7 points. So I'm not entirely sure where people get the idea that we beat these teams or play better against them comes from, 2 wins and a draw from 7 games against the top sides isn't great form.

Onto Hurst and the Cook situation. If everything had gone to plan today, Andy Cook wouldn't had been in the squad. The reason for that? Can you give me an honest reason why Cook deserved that? Our top scorer last season, the Non League young player of the year who has been given no chances of a proper run to show what he can do. He's given half a chance at Dartford and plays well, better than Tonk and Hannah and gets MOM. Today he was lucky to get on the bench at the last minute, he then goes on to get a goal and play very well. Is Hurst supposed to pretend that he's engineered that? Cook came on ahead of Hannah because Tonk was shattered and he insists on playing a big man and a little man, no matter what happens it HAS to be that. He's destroyed Cook this season, other players have been given countless chances no matter how the play yet Cook can't even get in the squad 2 days after being the MOM.

As I've said before, I say this because I care very much about how we do. I just do not see how we can justify that we're in any position to give the play-offs a real crack. We're tough to beat prehaps, but when push comes to shove I don't personally believe we can play so poorly and think we can go on and win the play-offs. It's not me wanting to be negative, I can just see striking similarities between this side and the one which let us down so badly last season.

I'll be there on Tuesday, showing support as I always do whenever I go to the games. My views on here do not affect my willingness to drive the team on when I go, in the hope that at some point we turn it around and kick on. Because we do have the squad for it, but for me i'm not seeing the signs that we're going to do it, which is frustrating.

Good post IMO lew because were making hard work of it aren't we?

Glad we got the win but even LJL wouldn't have missed that chance today, and all credit to Scott for the brilliant run to put it on a plate for Cook .

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 144
Grimal
April 12, 2014, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from StiggsGTFC

Not sure why Jennings wasn't taken off rather than tounkara. Would have given the opportunity to see cook and tounkara together.....might be a good combination....

That's my thinking to. It's well worth a try.Quite impressed with Cook when he came on today.Also he was very unlucky not to score last thursday night.  I've liked Tonka when ever he has played.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 144
Grimal
April 12, 2014, 6:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I agree with lew and I did go today..

Does that make me a doom merchant?

No, It makes you his best mate  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 144
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Not good enough.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.