Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 157 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 61,277 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
July 29, 2014, 4:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That's not the reason we have suffered 3 relegations though is it?

That's a different question,

We have been poor for over ten years,

Bad managers and bad signings,

Some people might even go so far as to say, a bad chairman !!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 330 - 340
barralad
July 30, 2014, 9:45am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Apologies for any offence caused, I simply don't understand how we can't attract quality players because of our location and Scunny manage it.

I haven't made a study of Scunny's fortunes but they certainly benefited from being able to sell some of their better players a few years ago. Admittedly they used the money wisely. It is worth noting that recently they appeared to be gravitating back to their natural level until their "new" chairman, who I believe is heavily involved in the Wilkos chain stepped in. Money talks ...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 331 - 340
dapperz fun pub
July 30, 2014, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,935
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from barralad

I haven't made a study of Scunny's fortunes but they certainly benefited from being able to sell some of their better players a few years ago. Admittedly they used the money wisely. It is worth noting that recently they appeared to be gravitating back to their natural level until their "new" chairman, who I believe is heavily involved in the Wilkos chain stepped in. Money talks ...

Scunny got lucky imo in that the physio turned out to be a decent manager so i suggest we sack hurst and install dave moore as manager its that simple
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 332 - 340
promotion plaice
July 30, 2014, 10:23am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,061
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Scunny got lucky imo in that the physio turned out to be a decent manager so i suggest we sack hurst and install dave moore as manager its that simple

Scunny already tried Dave Moore.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 333 - 340
dapperz fun pub
July 30, 2014, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Scunny already tried Dave Moore.

That was agent moore deliberately installed to shaft them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 334 - 340
BIGChris
July 30, 2014, 11:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Helped hugely by chief scout Lee Turnbull who 'found' a lot of their strikers
Private Message
Reply: 335 - 340
Southwark Mariner
July 30, 2014, 11:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
the trick is to find decent players, develop them and only sell them once you know you have an excellent upcoming star to replace them with. Not entirely sure what Southampton are up to but you'd hope for England's sake they won't go out and buy average European players instead of relying on developing more home-grown stars.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 336 - 340
dapperz fun pub
July 30, 2014, 11:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Helped hugely by chief scout Lee Turnbull who 'found' a lot of their strikers

Very true
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 337 - 340
rancido
July 30, 2014, 11:43am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I've always thought the location argument was a bit of a red herring

Grimsby is in a no worse location than say Carlisle, Morecambe, Hartlepool to name a few and whilst they might have troubles of their own attracting players and then persuading them to sign on the dotted line, they're arguably better at it than we are

We're out on a limb in some respects here on the East Coast but it's not totally the back of beyond....within 75 miles or so there's a substantial catchment area for us to try and tap in to

In some ways it says more about the ambition of a certain kind of player if they aren't interested in playing for our club with its heritage and potential

It's not stopped lads like Shaun Pearson coming here and developing his game and his future prospects so there must be others out there....it's just up to the club to sell what we have and what we could have

I don't think it's a red herring, our location ( not necessarily the area ) doesn't help. Scunthorpe is 36 miles closer to South Yorkshire and the league clubs that are there. It might not seem a lot but it all adds up to commuting time and travel costs especially if you don't want to uproot your family and move here. The thing about London and any of the big cities is that you can have a progressing career from being a Youth Player to your twilight career with several clubs at all levels and not have to leave your local area. Morecambe is close to the Manchester area , with loads of clubs in that district at varying levels in the Football Pyramid. We know the surrounding areas, such as the Wolds, are very picturesque coupled with some lovely villages and small towns but I don't think this is widely known in other parts of the country.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 338 - 340
ginnywings
July 30, 2014, 12:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

But surely the point is, how did they attract those players in the first place? They don't have a big support and they have a Town that isn't very appealing, yet they consistently do better than us and attract better players.

You have to speculate to accumulate and we don't seem very good at signing promising players and selling them on for a profit. It does happen occasionally, but nowhere near enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 339 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.