16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 19, 2014, 1:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I didn't feel a swipe. Must have missed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 156
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2014, 1:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
It's ok for posters on here to call for him to be sacked or call him clueless,

He reads the Fishy and answers a question and he gets slated for it,

He can not win.

That's the problem.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 156
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2014, 1:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
I didn't feel a swipe. Must have missed.

Tempted to add a punchline but it's like shooting fish in a barrel.......

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 156
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 19, 2014, 1:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It was a swipe. It was a reply to letters in the GT and probably the Fishy as well. Fair enough to back his players but is that what PH is doing?

Personally I don't believe him. LJL will be the first name on the team sheet every week because PH rates his work rate and defensive qualities more highly than his goal scoring or lack of it. The injuries to other strikers are disguising the situation so we shall see when they are all fit whether he really means LJL "must earn his place" or not. I think not.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 156
Marinerz93
August 19, 2014, 1:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Well Mr Hurst we may not be professional managers in football terms but you will find plenty of us have managed personnel and teams that have been successful against the odds.

You may know more in footballing terms but your management style is uninspiring, the personnel you have at your disposal are not performing, you have no clear leader on the field and quite frankly you should concentrate on getting Lenny a striking coach and getting your teams to perform, especially at BP.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 156
Hagrid
August 19, 2014, 1:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,436
Gold Stars: 536
stupid thread, he's defneding a player thatgets a hell of a lot of stick, why dont we all stop this now? we've had non stop threads since saturday of LJL excrement, hurst out, non league for ever etc and its starting to get boring, I said during pre season cant us fans just all start to stick together, I more than agree that performances have been dull and to an extenet poor, but it is at these times surely we should become a proper fanbase and back the team from the off? I expect numerous crosses and disagreements to this post, but is it really such a bad idea? we all want town to do well, We can make the difference by getting behind the boys instead of posting thread after thread of non stories and old opinions. UTM and i welcome your responses  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 156
carrot top
August 19, 2014, 1:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Biccys
"Fewer" managers....

So pleased the spelling and grammar police are back on here. Well said Biccys

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 156
headingly_mariner
August 19, 2014, 2:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from pontoonlew

I've seen plenty of people moaning about other players during Hursts reign and he's not come out to defend one of them. I mention it a lot but Hurst's favoritism of LJL was summed up after his actions when people moaned about him taking a penalty, he was raging that people had groaned. He probably had a point, though he really went overboard with his defense of LJL that night.

2 weeks later he publically calls out Cook for missing the sort of chance LJL has spent his entire career doing. And then people why Cooks head went?

I can see why LJL is at the club, I really can. But Hurst has got to let this go now, show he can be versatile and is willing to drop players who aren't performing, ALL players should be under the impression they are not guaranteed a start. I don't think LJL is, I think Hurst will change the name of the Stadium for good luck before he'll accept LJL maybe shouldn't be starting every week. Eventually if his persistance doesn't pay off (he's be trying to make LJL work for over a year now) then it will cost him his job.

that was just plain embarrassing and shows the level of some of the mouthbreathers that are in the stands.

If cook had half the desire LJL had he would be playing in the league, if you look at the strikers we have had over the conference years how many of them would be an improvement on LJL? i can think of players that were shite but never came near the stick he gets, players like Lee Peacock who was an absolute shirker and spent his time here trying not to get hurt, he probably scored less goals than lenny and people seemed to like him! Other players like Rob Duffy and Anthony Elding (who did get a bit of stick) were brought in to lead the line and failed as they were shite, they didn't have the heart and were too worried about getting hurt, the difference with these players is that they were playing with a strike partner who was banging the goals in, Lenny has not had such a partner yet, Pittman could be the one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 156
pontoonlew
August 19, 2014, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from headingly_mariner

that was just plain embarrassing and shows the level of some of the mouthbreathers that are in the stands.

If cook had half the desire LJL had he would be playing in the league, if you look at the strikers we have had over the conference years how many of them would be an improvement on LJL? i can think of players that were shite but never came near the stick he gets, players like Lee Peacock who was an absolute shirker and spent his time here trying not to get hurt, he probably scored less goals than lenny and people seemed to like him! Other players like Rob Duffy and Anthony Elding (who did get a bit of stick) were brought in to lead the line and failed as they were shite, they didn't have the heart and were too worried about getting hurt, the difference with these players is that they were playing with a strike partner who was banging the goals in, Lenny has not had such a partner yet, Pittman could be the one.

But most of them brought other players into the game better than LJL does. Peacock may not have been great but he helped Connell to all those goals, Elding (for all he's slated on here) formed perhaps the best strike pairing we've had in years with Hearn. I'm yet to see a single striker who has performed well with Lenny and i'm starting to believe he's not this superb link up man he's made out to be. He's touted as this 'strong in the air, lays it off' type, for one it's an absolute myth in my eyes that he's good in the air. In fact for a big man I'd suggest he's actually relatively poor. We've had a couple of decent strikers alongside him, Hannah scored for fun with Cook but couldn't with LJL? Jennings scored for fun at Macc, came here and couldn't score with LJL? I get that Jennings wasn't 100% right but he looked decidedly poor & lost.

So if he can't score, doesn't have many assists and doesn't ever bring out the best in his strike partner, what are we left with? A nuisance to defenders perhaps, holds the ball up fairly well? Is that worth 46 games of a season? Hurst doesn't help himself with Lenny because of stuff like this, even things like 'His shot hit the inside of the post and I'm not sure how it didn't go in' well Paul, it didn't go in because it didn't hit the inside of the post! Then throwing it in that he's carrying a knock. I just wish he'd stop treating us all like mugs who just because we haven't managed a football team, all of a sudden know intercourse all about the football on the pitch? One of the best in the league he says, always coming out and defending him yet he's adamant he's not a 'favorite' I for one am a little skeptical on that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 156
Southwark Mariner
August 19, 2014, 2:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I think a lot of people recognise what LJL brings to the team, but right now we need something slightly different. I think Gordon phrased it perfectly when he said:

"Because he's the hero Grimsby deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 156
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst takes a swipe at fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.