TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 29, 2014, 2:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from chicaneuk
I absolutely have no opinion on the team until I see them playing, against competing teams, in the same league as us... so when the season actually starts. Transfer news, friendlies, rumours, signings really mean nothing until we're actually kicking a ball in games that actually count.

No disrespect intended to the original poster who says he's supported town for 50 years - I admire that commitment and can say it's been tough even as someone who's only followed town for 5 or so years, but it seems the most disillusioned folks on here (including the OP) are those that are long term supporters who've seen the glory days for town, and struggle to accept the position of the club now. For me, as someone who never knew the glory days, I think we're doing the best we can with limited revenues in this crap league. We're making some good signings, and a have a loyal fan base who travel far to a lot of games across the country - so many clubs in this league would envy what we have.

The players looked burned out and lacked passion towards the end of last season but I believe all those involved want the club to succeed and I really do believe Paul Hurst will get us out of this league eventually.. hopefully this season. We just need to give them our support (financially and morally) to make that happen - not going to games, or cancelling your season ticket only serves to shoot yourself in the foot surely?!

That is a fair point. What you never had, you never miss.

But as somebody whose first memory of BP is being passed over the heads of blokes in a packed Osmond Stand to the front railing to watch Town play Liverpool on a 1950s Christmas Day morning, all of this "we are where we are" attitude is a bit hard to take.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 113
cannylad68
July 29, 2014, 3:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8

But as somebody whose first memory of BP is being passed over the heads of blokes in a packed Osmond Stand to the front railing to watch Town play Liverpool on a 1950s Christmas Day morning, all of this "we are where we are" attitude is a bit hard to take.

I was there too. Got my first black and white scarf as a Christmas present.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 113
ackomariner
July 29, 2014, 3:20pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from barralad

So where do you stand on slagging off a Town player before a ball has been kicked in anger?

Deleted my first reply to your question,

I don't call any player until I've seen them play, but others have been to every game so far, so that's their opinion , but I will make my own mind up on the matter.

As for where do I stand, I don't, I sit in the pontoon row b, seat 41, pop along and say hello

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 113
ackomariner
July 29, 2014, 6:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from ackomariner

I don't call any player until I've seen them play, but others have been to every game so far, so that's their opinion , but I will make my own mind up on the matter.

As for where do I stand, I don't, I sit in the pontoon row b, seat 41, pop along and say hello

Three negatives for this and I've been called a keyboard warrior  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 113
MuddyWaters
July 29, 2014, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,267
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33

Some people on this board (not you Barra) confuse critical analysis and just call it all negativity or moaning. These are probably the types who seem quite happy with mediocrity and scraping our way through season after season, hoping to drag our @rses into the play offs, only to get embarrassed. Bit of a generalisation? Don't like or agree with it? Don't be so negative. Stop 'bashing' other people for their views.  

I would put barralad right up there with those who confuse critical analysis with negativity. One of several who seem prepared to put up with mediocrity.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 113
chaos33
July 29, 2014, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,943
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Can you imagine what it would have been like if the fishy had been around in the nineties - I can imagine the posts for example on - "why are we wasting money on a 35 year old Halifax reserve"

Let's give the guy a chance he may well turn into a little diamond

I reckon the electronic fishcake was around in 1999, and that I was posting on it, albeit under a different name. Rob will know when it started......

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 113
barralad
July 29, 2014, 9:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from ackomariner

Thanks for your reply...Not that it really matters but I'm much reassured that you aren't prepared to join in the ritual slaughter of a Town player...

Thanks too for the offer...I will!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 113
barralad
July 29, 2014, 9:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jonnyboy82

But your opinion is if you don't agree with mine then you are wrong.

You only crawl out to give it the big un to certain posters who don't agree with your opinion..

And comparing peoples opinions on a message board to sugggesting people need to get a grip on real life is just silly from you again in fact probably your best one yet.

Your grip on reality is so tenuous that you gave me a negative reputation marking...I may never recover. I'm cut to the quick!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 113
mrsd
July 29, 2014, 10:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
IMHO he was OK tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 113
Grimal
July 29, 2014, 10:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mrsd
IMHO he was OK tonight

I've lost the gist of this thread now but I suppose we are talking about Craig Clay. I was in agreement with all on here that no way should we have signed him but on tonights showing I can see a decent player there and he seems to have a good footballers brain.Perhaps the pressure on him trying for a contract was making him try to hard ,hell knows we've all been there.Tonight he was more relaxed and it showed in his performance he made some excellent passes and neat little flick ons.Obviously Paul could see a good player in him or he wouldn't have signed him. Welcome to our Club  Craig..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Absolutly shocking

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.