14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
AdamHaddock
August 14, 2011, 2:02pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
I understand why people like Makofo - yes he's hard working and his pace causes problems but he doesn't make good use of the ball when he has it. He does all the hard work by beating his man but when the opportunity comes to have a shot or square it, he just fannies around until the opposition have got men back. There's talent there but it needs a lot of fine tuning before he gets a run in the side.

I'd start Artus or Eagle on the left at Braintree.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 134
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 2:19pm
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I understand why people like Makofo - yes he's hard working and his pace causes problems but he doesn't make good use of the ball when he has it. He does all the hard work by beating his man but when the opportunity comes to have a shot or square it, he just fannies around until the opposition have got men back. There's talent there but it needs a lot of fine tuning before he gets a run in the side.

im sorry but i have to disagree i think there was only once in the game yesturday were he could ave scored and he fannied about and that was right at the end of the first half he had a good shot tipped over and there was twice in the game were hearn and elding could of put him through on goal but they didnt look up or hear his shout for me makofo was MOM with I'anson a close second eagle for me is to slow and at times has trouble beating his man and has 2 times out of 10 good cross artus would rather play through the middle all though he is left footed and i think he would suit being on the left but again he has no pace would be nice to see him run down the wing and produce a good cross though.

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 134
Mariner_501
August 14, 2011, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Lew19

im sorry but i have to disagree i think there was only once in the game yesturday were he could ave scored and he fannied about and that was right at the end of the first half he had a good shot tipped over and there was twice in the game were hearn and elding could of put him through on goal but they didnt look up or hear his shout for me makofo was MOM with I'anson a close second eagle for me is to slow and at times has trouble beating his man and has 2 times out of 10 good cross artus would rather play through the middle all though he is left footed and i think he would suit being on the left but again he has no pace would be nice to see him run down the wing and produce a good cross though.

....and breathe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 134
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 3:39pm
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501

....and breathe

ha id rather just fly through then put silly dots in

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 134
James77
August 14, 2011, 3:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Quoted from 1600

CONCLUSION......

No need to start crying or moaning yet, I'm slightly disappointed we're not firing on all cylinders but hopeful we'll play better football than that this season and pick up enough points for the playoffs.  

Still too early to say, but feel there's a solid basis to build on and there is improvement to come IF the managers can find our way forward and identify the right team blend and what needs improving (feel there may be real signs this is the case as I don't think it was necessarily our best team today)

But also feel Fenty may need to get his chequebook book out sooner rather than later unless they can bring us on in leaps and bounds(which remain to be seen) with the current squad in it's current form.

Hearn looks needs in need of a relaible and consistent partner - who will that be ?

Feeling more positive than I was after the first home game last season vs York under Woods where we never put them under any kind of pressure....

Question remains do Scott and Hurst have the nouse with their tactics and gameplan to match their work ethic ?
We'll see...

About the best post on this thread - disappointed to have lost, but positive signs are there. Can't see Fenty doling out much more money though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 134
marinette
August 14, 2011, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Didn't the big manager say something about Serge having to play too far back in order to get the ball - he said that his team-mates could have given him the ball further up the pitch so that Sergio didn't have quite so much to do.  As it was, I thought he kept the ball extremely well - some very determined play by him to get it and keep it - and I wholeheartedly appreciate that kind of player.  As for 'not having any end product', perhaps if he was played as a striker, he might have more of an end product?  Don't know if he'd be strong enough, but he seemed to be banging the goals in for Lincoln reserves and also for us, pre-season - yes, I know, pre-season means nothing, but it's still something to consider.  And if it hadn't been for the Fleetwood goalkeeper making a flying save, Serge would have got one in the bag today, no problem.  

One plus point for Liam Hearn - he appears to be extremely fast.  I like that.

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 134
Garth
August 14, 2011, 4:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from codhead91

Makofo, much like Akpro, gets the ball and runs at defenders causing them problems but ultimately lacks much of an end product. I wasn't suggesting that they are of similar abilities, just of similar styles.

Give him time , he`s raw and young and IMO might easily have been our MOM yesterday, for Christ sake he was the clubs biggest disaster three weeks ago and has now gone from that to a crowd favourite, who knows what he might do in the next thirty or so games-----Calm down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 134
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 4:39pm
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Give him time , he`s raw and young and IMO might easily have been our MOM yesterday, for Christ sake he was the clubs biggest disaster three weeks ago and has now gone from that to a crowd favourite, who knows what he might do in the next thirty or so games-----Calm down

he was the MOM yesturday he played well, i dont know why so many people didn't like him he neva realli got the chance to show us what he had last season im glad serge hasn't been snapped up because he would be a big loss!

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 134
siy2k5
August 14, 2011, 6:24pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
I was one of the few that expressed disappointment at Serge being told he could leave. There's a player in there, Fleetwood were shitting themselves when he ran at them. I like his workrate too, if he loses possession he's straight back at the opposition to get it back.

If a certain player who shall remain nameless 'cos the subject bores me, had Serge's attitude, he would have been a hell of a player

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 134
ruthinred
August 14, 2011, 6:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00

I can remember the reff Tony Harrington in a match 2 years ago between us - wxm and Northwich vics

he was the worst reff many of us had ever seen, he looked very young

he tried  the 'softly softly calm down' approach, and it completely backfired,, he was easily intimidated and let foul after foul go.

it ended up being farcical how noone was sent off,, it became a horribly violent affair

way out of his depth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.