moosey_club
August 13, 2011, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,327
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from ginnywings
About 20 years ago i was in Pier 39 and thought to myself "what the intercourse am i doing in here" and i never went again.Had that same feeeling at BP today watching a totally toothless,inept,urine poor team playing the same old boring hit and hope footy and never looking like they'll score if they played all weekend.

Fleetwood,yes Fleetwood,were better in every single department.

Bored and disillusioned with the whole GTFC thing now.

Your new found optimism did not last long then!!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 134
codhead91
August 13, 2011, 8:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Think we should give Church a go before we start the campaign to have Wood play in midfield. Don't think we were too over run in midfield, as the possession stats will show (think somebody had earlier quoted 60%), however we never used the ball effectively. We played long ball all game to strikers who until the last 30 mins were not going to win headers, especially against the defenders that Fleetwood had. Seems a shame that we don't appear to have a plan b again, especially given the early promise of these two managers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 134
roundballovalhole
August 13, 2011, 8:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from codhead91
Think we should give Church a go  

worth a try, see you there tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply: 62 - 134
bigdavemariner
August 13, 2011, 8:28pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
1 thing that I noticed today, and needs addressing straight away is...

Spencer needs to get down the gym. He really needs to bulk up a little bit and build up some muscle if he's going to make it at this level

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 134
Lew19
August 13, 2011, 8:30pm
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Quoted from bigdavemariner
1 thing that I noticed today, and needs addressing straight away is...

Spencer needs to get down the gym. He really needs to bulk up a little bit and build up some muscle if he's going to make it at this level

lmaooooo he needs a bigger top still!

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 134
Roast Em Bobby
August 13, 2011, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Lew19
wood got told by the managers that the first goal was his fault dont see how tbh he was in the right place it was garners intercourse up

probably because garner was at right back when he made the intercourse up, when bradley should have been in that position

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 134
craigy
August 13, 2011, 8:47pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
why are people calling for the managers heads already? hull lost their opening game and so did scunny but you dont see their fans calling for the chairmen to sack them do you? first game of the season so judge them close to december!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 134
TownSNAFU5
August 13, 2011, 9:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Just back.   Saw on SSN that Fleetwood had 10 shots on target to our 1.  Not sure that this is correct, but it does tell how the match went.

For a hard game against a good team we needed Church in midfield.   We missed him and did not have an effective replacement.  Maybe Wood should be considered here? We have no natural cover for Church. The 3 central midfielders used today are not ball winners.  For the second half we had no cover for the full backs either.  

We can get better.  In the first half Disley was turning with the ball (like Sweeney used to) looking for a free player or runner.  He struggled to find anybody most of the time.  Not enough movement.

Also in the first half the defenders were relying on the Ref to blow for a freekick.  You cannot do that with the quality of Refs in this League.

Elding did not play to his supposed strengths. I worry about our threat up front.  We are weak if Hearn gets injured or suspended. Lack of mobility.  All in all there are risks to losing key players, without having good replacements.

Misc points:   L'Anson was good, Fleetwood are good and dirty.  Trying to emulate Crawley?   They took control of the first 15 mins.  I know the width of the pitch had been shortened, but what about the length?  Both keepers were kicking far into the opposition half.

We may win at Braintree.  Neither game are probably a reflection of the League standard and how we will do against other teams.  Lets hold judgement for a few games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 134
80sglory
August 13, 2011, 9:19pm
Guest User
SUMMARY.....

Started very edgy and tentative and thought we could have started at a lot higher tempo(reminded me of Ferriby) - slightly lucky not to be down early when Fleetwood looked dangerous around the box(obviously they have some useful players) but we rode our early wobbles.
Both sides played some nice bits coming forward but moreso Fleetwood 1st half and always a degree of trepidation  when they packed the penalty area but we defended stoutly enough (albeit deep)
They got their 2nd at the death but really it was pretty much all Town pressure 2nd half without hatfuls of chances though we went very close a couple of times.
Pressed more and more in search of an equaliser so not too suprising we got caught right at the end.
A very frustrating game with blind officials completely out of their depth not spotting some terrible whacks to our players from Fleetwood who should be ashamed (and possibly taken action upon if the video evidence backs it up) today...
Did it affect the result ?
Maybe we should have had a penalty I'd like to see it again...
Just a fiery and frustrating game all round - I felt nothing really fell for us all day.
Think they probably deserved to edge it but 1-1 wouldn't have been robbery with all our 2nd half pressure until their late goal.

The lads kept going today and couldn't fault them too much for effort and I proudly clapped them off at the end.

Disappointing but no great suprise in light of the footballing work that was left to do after Ferriby.

Always felt we wouldn't reach our peak today and from that perspective feel there is enough reason to say the positives outweight the negatives at this stage IF we can sort it all out and improve.

Didn't think Fleetwood looked that great defensively and thought we could have pushed them back a bit sooner and tried to get down the flanks even more than we did.

Also get the feeling we're playing a mixture of long ball to the big man/channels + nice passing and maybe need to decide which path we ultimately go down to realise a more tangble gameplan.

MATCH RATINGS...

McKeown 8 - Kicking poor early on but made some very good stops.

Ridley 7.5 - A few loose balls but impressed at his passing and composure today. Got caught for pace for the goal right at the end but we were pushing forward at that point.

I'Anson 8 - One of the highlights to come out of the game I thought - excellent in the air, covered well and did well making space in the box at the other end too. Think he deserves to keep his place on this showing and my suspicion that he will make it is looking well on course - looks a decent prospect.

Garner 6 - Didn't look convincing from the word go today and his lunge and mistake later led to the first goal. Not the first mistake he's made when 1 on 1 and think Scott needs to coach him how and when to challenge at crucial times in the box. It's one thing being solid in the air(which he suprisingly didn't look today) but entirely another when defending attackers running forward.

Silk 6.5 - Not overly impressed today I'm afraid - lots of long balls to nobody and agian looked a bit vulnerable when up against an attacker running down the byline. Needs to get closer to the man to stop the crosses coming in.  Had to come off when injured just before half time.

Makofo 8.5(MOM) - Once again looked the most dangerous player with his serge-ing runs down the wing and unlucky their goalie made a great save from his right footed shot. Still doesn't look convincing knowing what to do when he ends up near the penalty area, but if he did he'd be a few divisions higher. Lots to like about the performance though - if he can take that extra step we will have a player of some value on our hands in due course(if we don't already)  Has some wicked curl on his corners !

Thanoj 7 - Mixed bag - misplaced passes and looked slow and exposed at times early on. Obviously has some useful passing ability but needs to up his workrate and sharpen up his positional play(keeping goalside !) to demand a place in the team.

Disley 8 - A lot to like in terms of his ball control, anticipation, heading and tackling. Could clearly see his league class today but just feel he'd be so much better if his contribution went forward rather than backwrads - one moment when he passed back playing a hospital ball which sums up the frustration but little doubt his all round ability will be a calming and much needed influence this season. Looks reasonably pacy too and broke up a lot of play in the centre even if he didn't use it to the max. Well done.

Coulson 7.5 - Worked hard for the team today and tried to link up and create openings through the middle as well as down the wing where he did well to beat a player once or twice(proved me wrong !) but his crossing (like in general today) was a bit hit and hope. Still think we need to seriously consider him up centrally up front near to Hearn.

Hearn 8 - Worked hard, chased, passed well and held the ball up and had a good game, showing some nice bits of skill to beat defenders in tight situations. Never really had a clear sight of goal today - tried to make space but had his shots blocked again. Does he needs to be a little cuter around the penalty box rather than always shaping to shoot every half chance he gets ? Not that I'm blaming him - he's clearly a large asset to the club and it's only a matter of time before he scores. Would like to see him steamroller and impose himself on defenders even more but that may come with physical development over time.

Elding - 5.5 Innefective 1st half - doesn't look like he can head a ball properly to me and seems to have a dodgy first touch at times - sometimes seems to spend an age holding the ball up if/when he does. To be fair worked hard enough and got better as the game went on but thought Scott should have replaced him a lot sooner at half time because he was offering us almost nothing. To be honest not suprised after his pre-season and the excuse of "needs match practice" is already starting to look a little questionable. Hit one promising shot from distance over th bar so don't really know much about his goalscoring abilites but we can't afford to carry him. Guess Scott wanted to give certain players opportunities but not suprised at the outcome after the holes in pre-season and makes you wonder with hindsight if Duffy would have been better to try to link up with the forwards today.

Subs

Wood 7.5 Committed as always. Covered well, some fair play and tried to get forward down the right flank but like the team his crossing with both feet wasn't the best today.
As expected the teams crossing looks a lot better up close from the byline than being pumped into the box from long range.

Spencer - 6.5 Didn't look like he could get involved in the game too much to me - not much to report but doesn't look very mobile and wasn't really a handful in the air against their big (and dirty !) defenders.

Artus 7 - A few ok passes, but another who I didn't really spot a great deal. Think he should get his chance based on pre-season though and no doubt he will with time.

CONCLUSION......

No need to start crying or moaning yet, I'm slightly disappointed we're not firing on all cylinders but hopeful we'll play better football than that this season and pick up enough points for the playoffs.  

Still too early to say, but feel there's a solid basis to build on and there is improvement to come IF the managers can find our way forward and identify the right team blend and what needs improving (feel there may be real signs this is the case as I don't think it was necessarily our best team today)

But also feel Fenty may need to get his chequebook book out sooner rather than later unless they can bring us on in leaps and bounds(which remain to be seen) with the current squad in it's current form.

Hearn looks needs in need of a relaible and consistent partner - who will that be ?

Feeling more positive than I was after the first home game last season vs York under Woods where we never put them under any kind of pressure....

Question remains do Scott and Hurst have the nouse with their tactics and gameplan to match their work ethic ?
We'll see...
Reply: 68 - 134
mariner marc
August 13, 2011, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from 1600

CONCLUSION......

No need to start crying or moaning yet, I'm slightly disappointed we're not firing on all cylinders but hopeful we'll play better football than that this season and pick up enough points for the playoffs.  

Still too early to say, but feel there's a solid basis to build on and there is improvement to come IF the managers can find our way forward and identify the right team blend and what needs improving (feel there may be real signs this is the case as I don't think it was necessarily our best team today)
form.

Question remains do Scott and Hurst have the nouse with their tactics and gameplan to match their work ethic ?
We'll see...
quality post on our first game of the season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.