This thread currently has 13,466 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Havelock the Dane
August 14, 2011, 6:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Quoted from ruthinred

I can remember the reff Tony Harrington in a match 2 years ago between us - wxm and Northwich vics

he was the worst reff many of us had ever seen, he looked very young

he tried  the 'softly softly calm down' approach, and it completely backfired,, he was easily intimidated and let foul after foul go.

it ended up being farcical how noone was sent off,, it became a horribly violent affair

way out of his depth

And so history repeats itself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 134
pontoonlew
August 14, 2011, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Its hard to come on here and post your match report a day later after 8 pages worth of opinions and say something that hasn't been said. So i'll keep it short and say if our forward line doesn't sort itself out, its going to be a LONG season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 134
grimsby pete
August 14, 2011, 7:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from pontoonlew
Its hard to come on here and post your match report a day later after 8 pages worth of opinions and say something that hasn't been said. So i'll keep it short and say if our forward line doesn't sort itself out, its going to be a LONG season.

If you have just got back Lew,

Where do you live ?  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 134
rancido
August 14, 2011, 7:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from marinette

Didn't the big manager say something about Serge having to play too far back in order to get the ball - he said that his team-mates could have given him the ball further up the pitch so that Sergio didn't have quite so much to do.  As it was, I thought he kept the ball extremely well - some very determined play by him to get it and keep it - and I wholeheartedly appreciate that kind of player.  As for 'not having any end product', perhaps if he was played as a striker, he might have more of an end product?  Don't know if he'd be strong enough, but he seemed to be banging the goals in for Lincoln reserves and also for us, pre-season - yes, I know, pre-season means nothing, but it's still something to consider.  And if it hadn't been for the Fleetwood goalkeeper making a flying save, Serge would have got one in the bag today, no problem.  

One plus point for Liam Hearn - he appears to be extremely fast.  I like that.

Agree , but why didn't we use his pace against that gorilla McNulty who certainly wasn't that mobile.Instead we play the ball up in the air which was " bread and meat " to a neanderthal like him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 8:14pm
Guest User
Hurst said on MP:

"From then on,[conceding 1st goal] I think that changed the game.
You know 1st half a little bit of pressure at times, but still looked like we caused them a threat.
But as soon as they scored they just sat deeper and deeper, and the spaces we were trying to utilize, you know, weren't there. And I think we just went back to front a little bit too quickly. We needed to try to pass us way through at times, you know we never really got Michael Coulson in the game, Serge has had a couple of good runs but  he's had to do it all himself from deep up to the areas where we want them on the ball. So I think we made it a little bit easy for them to defend, although they've had to defend a hell of a lot, I'm sure territorially, we're way ahead on that."

Said he wasn't too concerned about the 2nd goal then said...

"Just got to be a bit cuter, a bit cleverer on the ball in the final 3rd."
Reply: 114 - 134
siy2k5
August 14, 2011, 8:19pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from 1600
Hurst said on MP:

"From then on,[conceding 1st goal] I think that changed the game.
You know 1st half a little bit of pressure at times, but still looked like we caused them a threat.
But as soon as they scored they just sat deeper and deeper, and the spaces we were trying to utilize, you know, weren't there. And I think we just went back to front a little bit too quickly. We needed to try to pass us way through at times, you know we never really got Michael Coulson in the game, Serge has had a couple of good runs but  he's had to do it all himself from deep up to the areas where we want them on the ball. So I think we made it a little bit easy for them to defend, although they've had to defend a hell of a lot, I'm sure territorially, we're way ahead on that."

Said he wasn't too concerned about the 2nd goal then said...

"Just got to be a bit cuter, a bit cleverer on the ball in the final 3rd."

The bit I've highlighted, I'm not sure what to make of it

Either the managers are giving the wrong instructions, or the players not carrying them out correctly.

It is a little encouraging that judging by that comment, we are looking to play a bit of football, even if yesterdays game contraicts that view.

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 8:22pm
Guest User
Could it be they've said to get the ball quickly into the final 3rd and then play football from there ?

Pretty sure that's what they've said before ?

Maybe what he means is that they gave those instructions and the players carried them out but with hindsight it was the wrong thing to do ?
Reply: 116 - 134
rancido
August 14, 2011, 8:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,662
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from siy2k5

The bit I've highlighted, I'm not sure what to make of it

Either the managers are giving the wrong instructions, or the players not carrying them out correctly.

It is a little encouraging that judging by that comment, we are looking to play a bit of football, even if yesterdays game contraicts that view.

I think that was what Hurst was trying to say - we pumped the ball up too much instead of playing it through the middle.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 8:27pm
Guest User
Im one of the few who thought we did play some good football at times, albeit mostly in midfield and not half as much as I've have liked.
Reply: 118 - 134
siy2k5
August 14, 2011, 8:28pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.86
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from rancido

I think that was what Hurst was trying to say - we pumped the ball up too much instead of playing it through the middle.

I get that, that's what confuses me.  WHY were we hitting it so long?

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.