This thread currently has 13,476 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 12:07am
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
corrr id love to see that beat liverpool again amazing!!!

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 134
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2011, 12:08am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,403
Gold Stars: 124
woops the pre season optimism has been squashed. I thought we were dreadful and so far behind them in terms of quality, intelligence and fight it was unreal, their two centre halves  easily coped with everything we had to offer and looked a good paring. They were at us quick whereas we gave them time to play.

I was surprised we did not revert to 3 in the middle because we were painfully outgunned. Garner and Silk had games to forget and elding is a girl private.

We are no better now than we were under woods, we have less quality and play less football, hopefully the fact that we have a team full of triers will make up for that when we play worse teams.

I am far from impressed and we must improve or you cuntts will have tango and cash out before xmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 134
True iron
August 14, 2011, 12:26am
Guest User
Good start!! We done indeed I say
Reply: 82 - 134
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 12:32am
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 1888
Good start!! We done indeed I say

intercourse off back to your shed scunt!

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 12:33am
Guest User
Quoted from headingly_mariner
woops the pre season optimism has been squashed. I thought we were dreadful and so far behind them in terms of quality, intelligence and fight it was unreal, their two centre halves  easily coped with everything we had to offer and looked a good paring. They were at us quick whereas we gave them time to play.

I was surprised we did not revert to 3 in the middle because we were painfully outgunned. Garner and Silk had games to forget and elding is a girl private.

We are no better now than we were under woods, we have less quality and play less football, hopefully the fact that we have a team full of triers will make up for that when we play worse teams.

I am far from impressed and we must improve or you cuntts will have tango and cash out before xmas.

I thought we gave them far too much time to play too(what's happened to closing down from the off we saw vs Barnsley?) but didn't you think there were glimpses of some half decent football ?

Not convinced with this "hit it up to the big man" tactic but amongst all the confusion the ball never managed to fall to anyone to have a decent pop on goal.

Reply: 84 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2011, 12:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,803
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from 1600

Excellent points.
I don't mean to be picky but wouldn't you say Makofo looks most likely to create something out of nothing (i.e. when he picks it up nothing is on but then he goes on a run and creates something) ?

I was actually suprised how many problems we caused them down the flanks when we actually tried - even Coulson beat his player !
Hearn forced a lot of corners out wide too.
Should we have played to just that tactic 2nd half ?
Maybe the dilemma we have is that with the big men, we also invaribaly pump it long from the back, no pretty passing in midfield before spreading it out wide ?

Ahhh football used to be such a simple game - get it to the byline, pull if back with pace and cause even the best defences huge problems defending it...  

Never thought Woods ever really used the width(accept we had huge central midfield problems) - I just hope these can especially with 1 dangerous winger.

I fully agree that word "gameplan" you mention is something we'll need to pay close attention to, think it shows the players are crystal clear about what they're trying to do - a very good sign.

Or is that too unrealistic - were we were just spolied under Buckley ?....  

Wingers?

The one on the left tries hard but ends up nowhere,and the one on the right isnt a winger,never beats his man or delivers a telling cross.

We couldnt even sustain a high tempo,all action performance (obviously devoid of any skill) despite the hype, and I am not sure exactly where we go from here.

Unless the team gels very quickly,we are in big trouble again.On todays showing only,I would say we are suspect at the back due to a lack of pace,lightweight in midfield,and impotent up front,and both "wingers" are no threat whatsoever.

We will obviously beat a lot of the lesser teams in this league but it seems we are as far away as ever from a team that could challenge for the title,even at this lowly level.

I think the crowd were half hearted,as it was plain to see we found it difficult to sustain a period of pressure that remotely looked like we might score.

A very poor showing in my opinion,and I only hope that something clicks very very soon to make todays performance seem a bad dream.

Private Message
Reply: 85 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 1:04am
Guest User
the one on the right isnt a winger,never beats his man or delivers a telling cross.

I've been thinking Coulson is wasted on the wing too but to be fair in actual fact Makofos tipped over the bar effort came about when Coulson beat his man on the wing and crossed the ball to create the opportunity.

Reply: 86 - 134
petethemariner
August 14, 2011, 1:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from AdamHaddock
I hope there was a referees assessor there as that dopey midget and his goofy linesman will be duly transferred to the Zamaretto league by the end of the month. I can't beleive the foulding that was ignored. The most useless referee I've ever seen and there is some real competition for that.

But let's not allow that to mask a feeble performance. We didn't make much use of the ball when we had it. Far too much booting it up in the air without looking up to pick out someone's runs. A few good signs like the fact that we just kept going right until the end. I also liked the was we we're throwing bodies in the way of shots. Apart from that, disappointing.

McKeown 7 Reasonably safe pair of hands but shouldn't have conceded the first goal from that angle .
Silk 5 Poor, gave the ball away and was outpaced. Doesn't get forward and support Coulson
I'anson 8 MOM Won everything in the air and had a good game. I was surprised to see him picked ahead of Peason but he took his chance.
Garner 7 Decent if a bit slow. Unlucky with that overhead kick.
Ridley 6 Far too easily outpaced for the second goal then had a moan at the linesman.
Coulson 7 Worked hard as usual and caused a few problems, just not quite the menace he was at the back end of last season.
Disley 6 Didn't pass the ball around as well as I was expecting. Pretty ineffective
Thanoj 7 Had a decent game and got stuck in.
Makofo 5 I'm sorry but if this guy is a professional footballer then I'm a gingerbreadman. Yes he's a trier and skinned his man a few times but then he just fannies around on the ball until he's ganged up on. Nothing useful actually comes from his boots.
Elding 5 Anonymous. Beaten in the air time and again, not that much better with the ball at his feet.
Hearn 7 Worked hard and, like Coulson, caused problems but was often isolated.

Wood 7 His usual self. Worked hard, supported Coulson well, rattled a few of their players. His trip on Brodie cheered me up.

Agree with some of your assessments and  disagree with others - for me;

McKeown - by no means the finished article, but has potential, good safe hands and kicking,
but a bit slow off his line at times - d'ont blame him for the first goal, he was protecting his near post as all good keepers do and got done at the far.
Silk/Wood -  i d'ont do friendlies, so its the first time i have seen Silk, looked OK , but is he really a better option than Wood?
Ridley - Solid as usual, not far off MOM for me - seems some will not forgive him his Scunny roots!
Centre backs - didnt rate this combination at all - L'anson is one for the future, did some good work, but i saw his inexperience too many times today, Garner was fair but nothing more - we need Kempson back  there IMO.
Midfield - this is STILL where we lack, Disley did a decent job, but offered  very little offensively and Thanoj looked lost all game to me  - he is only young, so time is on his side, but what sort of Midfielder is he going to be? Seemed like a younger version of our ineffective midfielders of last year.
Where is the midfielder to thread a defence splitting through ball?  Still missing I'm afraid.
Coulson looked  lively  at times but i am still sure we are missing a trick with him, this lad is a potential goalscorer, why are we wasting him out wide?
Hearn looked good to me, but unless we give this lad some decent service he will soon lose interest - he will score goals with service IMO.
Elding, sorry, but a slower version of Duffy - do not know why he is here on that performance - d'ont want to make him the next boo boy, but he has to offer more than that.
Makofo, well what can you say? I'sure at times he doesn't know what he is doing, but i thought he  was the only player who ran at Fleetwood and he did cause them problems - hit and miss, but for me MOM.

Subs weren't really given enough time to  form an opinion.

In conclusion,  this is only the first battle of a long war, remember we beat the future Champions on their own patch first game last season, we need to be patient and stick with the team - continue to turn up in numbers and offer the sort of support we did today.

Fleetwood are an absolute disgrace, the worst example of a football team i have EVER seen in 4 deacdes, did the same last year, time waste, feign injury, throw niggles off the ball and gob off to opposing fans - EVERY team they face this season i will support - utter W@ankers.
171 fans as well -  small club like Crawley, supported by a money man.
Lets keep positive though, next May is a long time away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 134
80sglory
August 14, 2011, 1:53am
Guest User
Think you make some very good points Pete.

Ridley played some simple but effective passes into feet that led to some of our best play
I watched most of the friendlies and feel confident to say Wood is a much better right back than Silk.
Just watched the highlights again and spotted a good through ball by someone(think it was Thanoj !!!) to Makofo left side that led to a corner.

Agree about Coulson, bring him central and sign in a genuine right winger so we have attacking threat both sides.  

Longer term, I would maybe look to build a team like this.

...............McKeown
Wood.......CB.....CB......Ridley
...........Disley...Church/Artus
Sign/Bradb..Coulson......Makofo
..................Hearn

Really don't like to say this and not writing anyone off but feel I have to say it (if only for the sake of the club) - got this awful feeling sooner or later we'll realise Silk, Spencer and Elding will all prove surplus to requirements, crap signings and long ball up to the big man just aint the way forward long term.

Sorry I know it's just one game so far but it's my gut feeling.  
Reply: 88 - 134
Lew19
August 14, 2011, 2:21am
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Think you make some very good points Pete.

Ridley played some simple but effective passes into feet that led to some of our best play
I watched most of the friendlies and feel confident to say Wood is a much better right back than Silk.
Just watched the highlights again and spotted a good through ball by someone(think it was Thanoj !!!) to Makofo left side that led to a corner.

Agree about Coulson, bring him central and sign in a genuine right winger so we have attacking threat both sides.  

Longer term, I would maybe look to build a team like this.

...............McKeown
Wood.......CB.....CB......Ridley
...........Disley...Church/Artus
Sign/Bradb..Coulson......Makofo
..................Hearn

Really don't like to say this and not writing anyone off but feel I have to say it (if only for the sake of the club) - got this awful feeling sooner or later we'll realise Silk, Spencer and Elding will all prove surplus to requirements, crap signings and long ball up to the big man just aint the way forward long term.

Sorry I know it's just one game so far but it's my gut feeling.  

i do agree brad is better than silk by far he should get the nod over him everytime im not keen on thanoj fort he had a bad game few mistakes but hes still young and learning was good for him to be in starting 11 i would say I'anson was a stand out performer and i for one think hes cemented his place at cb maybe along side pearson against braintree however i disagree with spencer what i see of him in pre-season was good he constantly wants the ball and makes sure hes on side always looking down the line IMHO i think he would be good up top along side hearn but as we bought elding the managers have to put there trust in him so if 1 of them is to be dropped it will be hearn. i think given time elding will come good he may look lazy and disintrested but hes a poucher in and around the box he like the ball to his feet which yesturday he wasnt getting.

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.