Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:56pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But Monday was just like so many other home games under Hurst's management. Hand on heart, even allowing for an hour with 10 men against Lincoln, would you have changed the complete midfield and left out the Man of The Match from the last home game (East)?

Admittedly, I was surprised with the changes from the Lincoln game on Monday following such a good performance. I would not have dropped Arnold and Disley.

I disagree with arryarryarry in that we were "shite". I maintain on another day we win 3-0 easily with the possession and chances created which were largely blazed over.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 160 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 2:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
There is always an early pace setter. Last season's won the league.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,533
Gold Stars: 185
First half against Macclesfield, I thought we looked decent, were well on top and controlled the game. Should have been a goal or two up before they took the lead. Second half, however, I thought we were pretty poor which was disappointing when we needed to score to get anything out of the game. Despite this, we still managed to miss the target with, what, 4 or 5 decent headed chances?

We came back well against Torquay the other week but never looked like doing much against Macclesfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 169
RonMariner
September 4, 2015, 7:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Abdul19
There is always an early pace setter. Last season's won the league.

As did Fleetwood, and Crawley when they hit the top early. The exceptions were Luton and Mansfield who both went on staggering winning runs.

So  three times in the five seasons we have been in this division, the title has gone to the early pace setters, and none of them as I recall actually won the first 7 as FGR have done. So the portents are looking decidedly bad. Furthermore there are several other good sides with a big lead on us already. Even if FGR slip, one of the other top teams could race well ahead of us.

Personally I think FGR are more likely to increase their lead over us in the coming weeks because we are so flimsy at the back. To get back into the title race would mean that we have to do a Luton, and basically sweep aside all opposition for months on end. At this point that does not appear likely.

So even though we have only played 7 games, my personal opinion is that we are looking at a play off place at best. I sure hope I am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2015, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner

As did Fleetwood, and Crawley when they hit the top early. The exceptions were Luton and Mansfield who both went on staggering winning runs.

So  three times in the five seasons we have been in this division, the title has gone to the early pace setters, and none of them as I recall actually won the first 7 as FGR have done. So the portents are looking decidedly bad. Furthermore there are several other good sides with a big lead on us already. Even if FGR slip, one of the other top teams could race well ahead of us.

Personally I think FGR are more likely to increase their lead over us in the coming weeks because we are so flimsy at the back. To get back into the title race would mean that we have to do a Luton, and basically sweep aside all opposition for months on end. At this point that does not appear likely.

So even though we have only played 7 games, my personal opinion is that we are looking at a play off place at best. I sure hope I am wrong.

I'm so pleased that someone does all this analytical stuff, it's basically like saying that we have never really had a chance because we always start slowly.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 169
Garth
September 4, 2015, 10:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Okay here is my views.

Hurst has made some mistakes this season.

1. Tinkering with the side - I'm pretty certain the best outfield side is East at RB, Nsiala, Pearson, Robertson (LB) Monkhouse, Disley, Clay, Arnold, Bogle, Amond. In the Buckley MK1 and MK2 era's you could almost turn up to the game knowing the side in advance.  continuity bread confidence and players knew each other's positioning and attributes. If it's not working - say, e.g our famous win against Leicester in the league cup you can change things from the bench.

2. He hasn't made the one change that is necessary - We need Mckeown out the side as he is clearly shot. He needs a few games out the firing line.

3. Bringing Robinson in on loan was a mistake - It has affected Clay (who was playing really well until he came in) and he hasn't added everything.

4. Playing Gowling - Josh is a good player but Pearson and Nsiala have been playing together for a year now and know each other's game inside out. With two new strikers trying to learn how to play together it makes sense to keep it simple at the back.

5. Not "cheating" - going back to the Wembley final when there keeper should have been sent off we didn't make a meal of it. It seems to me that we are too nice. When we have something go against us we need to be in the ref's face continuously. I want to here Paul bitching about bad decisions. It puts pressure on the ref to "even it up". We get the wrong end of decisions too many times and this has to change.

Having said all this the players need to take responsibility for the dreadful mistakes we are making - we try and be a bit to clever sometime - Macca needs to find touch with difficult passbacks rather than trying (an failing to control them).

I'm unconvinced with getting rid of Hurst however for the following reasons.
1. Is there any better alternatives?
2. Would Fenty get the right man even if he was available?
3. Would a new manager take time to bed in causing more instability?

However if we are not even making the playoffs this season it needs to be the end of Hurst as that would be catastrophic failure.

Cant argue with any of that, my thoughts exactly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
September 5, 2015, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RonMariner

Looking at the table, I sure hope you are right!

I was/am very optimistic of challenging for the title, but if it was to be the play offs surely we would be in a better position this time round to win them?

Private Message
Reply: 166 - 169
dapperz fun pub
September 5, 2015, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,952
Gold Stars: 82
The team on paper is better but the manager is still the same tactically, for me he over thinks things looking at what could happen rather than what should happen like playing our best players  👏👏👏🐟 interesting that it appears many don't have any faith in fenty picking a replacement so would rather hold on to hurst 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 169
RonMariner
September 5, 2015, 1:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226

Looking at the table, I sure hope you are right!

I was/am very optimistic of challenging for the title, but if it was to be the play offs surely we would be in a better position this time round to win them?

I hope so, but am not very confident. Until we get some solidity at the back we can't approach any games with confidence. In the play offs we would be up against better teams than the last four we have played, none of which we have beaten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 169
rancido
September 5, 2015, 2:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
We need to get back to basics and try to repeat what helped us get to the final. A right-back who is a right-back and a left-back who is a left-back would be a good starting point. Then have Toto and Pearson together as centre-backs - why split a pairing that was so good for us last season. We certainly need to play Dis and Clay together in centre-mid with Marshal and Arnold out wide. I know Mckreth played a lot for us last season out wide but he has never impressed me and certainly doesn't attack his full-back half as much as he does. We have Bogle and Podge up front and should certainly persist with them as a starting pairing so they can develop a good working relationship. If after 60 mins a combination isn't working then adjust from the bench , don't wait until 10 mins from the end and expect someone to be a game changer.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.