grimps
August 31, 2015, 4:46pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46
Just give us a break Fenty and pull the trigger now !

Season over in August is a record even by Hursts standards
Logged Offline
Private Message
nightrider
August 31, 2015, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
If they lose on Saturday, your wish may well come true

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 169
August 31, 2015, 4:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimps
Just give us a break Fenty and pull the trigger now !

Season over in August is a record even by Hursts standards

you dont give up do you? wowsers
Reply: 2 - 169
d_mariner84
August 31, 2015, 4:51pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: -25
The season is over after 46 games not 7. There is 39 games to play for, 117 points left to win... get a grip!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 4:53pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from d_mariner84
The season is over after 46 games not 7. There is 39 games to play for, 117 points left to win... get a grip!

And how many of those points do you think we'll pick up with Hurst here ?

There will be 3000 at the next home game so we've lost 2000 fans in less than a month . Well done Hursty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 169
Badger57
August 31, 2015, 4:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
It's just Groundhog day over and over and over again.  Unfortunately,  that means we'll probably win the next three and Hurst will save his skin.....AGAIN!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 169
d_mariner84
August 31, 2015, 4:58pm

Beer Drinker
I'm more than confident we will pick up enough points to be comfortable in the play offs at the end of the season,  that might not of been the initial aim but it's still a way of getting out of this league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:00pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from d_mariner84
I'm more than confident we will pick up enough points to be comfortable in the play offs at the end of the season,  that might not of been the initial aim but it's still a way of getting out of this league!

Most of us would have been happier having that confirmed in March or April . Not the season over in flipping August .
What makes you think this clown would take us up in the play offs anyway ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 169
denni266
August 31, 2015, 5:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
we are looking at relagation with this form   not going up.. hurst must go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 169
Grim74
August 31, 2015, 5:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Enoughs enough tinkerclowns time has got to be up now, please no more excuses how unlucky we are bollox, he's unsettled the team once again how is it Macclesfield played virtually the same team on Saturday.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 169
d_mariner84
August 31, 2015, 5:07pm

Beer Drinker
How is the season over? We have had 3 possibly 4 bad results! (Depending on how you look at it) if we win the next 4 we are back in the mix! Then you go back into your hole until a we loose again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 169
grimsby pete
August 31, 2015, 5:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Too many changes is our problem,

Hurst has to pick his beat 11 players in their right positions and stick with them for a few games,

If after say 5 games and we are doing no better I fear he might be on his way,

On the other hand we might start winning games,

Time is not on his side if we are halfway down the league after 12 games of the season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 169
MarinerGaz
August 31, 2015, 5:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Quoted from d_mariner84
How is the season over? We have had 3 possibly 4 bad results! (Depending on how you look at it) if we win the next 4 we are back in the mix! Then you go back into your hole until a we loose again!

Want to share the optimism, difficult to believe we'll go on a good run when we're giving goals away though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 169
promotion plaice
August 31, 2015, 5:13pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
How we didn't win today is a weird one but looking at the squad we have ( which is pretty good ) i am now starting to wonder if another manager would do better with them than Hurst.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 169
Grim74
August 31, 2015, 5:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
No more pay offs please Fenty I've said before keep him on as chief scout.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 169
MarinerMart
August 31, 2015, 5:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Just a comment, but judging by what I heard some say on the way out the summer feel good factor is slowly disappearing. Yet again our home form is letting us down.  Get the feeling only a win next week will keep the next home gate above 4000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 169
Perkins
August 31, 2015, 5:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I said it last week and I'll say it again. ALWAYS start with your STRONGEST team. If your fit enough to be on the bench, your fit enough to start. STOP BLO*DY TINKERING. The feelgood factor is disappearing rapidly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 169
Madeleymariner
August 31, 2015, 5:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Perkins
I said it last week and I'll say it again. ALWAYS start with your STRONGEST team. If your fit enough to be on the bench, your fit enough to start. STOP BLO*DY TINKERING.

Got it in one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Perkins
I said it last week and I'll say it again. ALWAYS start with your STRONGEST team. If your fit enough to be on the bench, your fit enough to start. STOP BLO*DY TINKERING.

Most of us was saying this three seasons ago , time for this loser to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 169
pontoonlew
August 31, 2015, 5:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
As much as I think 7 games into a season is mental and the rest of the footballing world will think we've just melted down but this is beyond a joke.

To persistently make the same mistakes with no intentions of altering that is flipping infuriating. He'll never change and we'll never go up with him.

He's holding back a very good team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 169
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 31, 2015, 5:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
OH toss off people on your high horse, we have this every season, eventually you have to admit the people calling for his sacking are in the right, how many failed seasons will it take? It doesn't change, we know what he offers, we consistantly have a top 3 quality squad, he sends them out to get results, they just barely get enough results to acheive an acceptable finish, we go forwards and backwards and backwards and forwards. We often still havn't found our true selves come march and april. We've stopped the oversacking of managers, we've built a good squad, now lets give a different manager a go, theres probably a few out there that would look at this job as an easy route to a bit of glory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 169
ginnywings
August 31, 2015, 5:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
I still think we will make the play offs. There are not 5 better sides than us in this league but FFS, can we at least mount a season long challenge for once? It's not too much to ask given our resources is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 169
Neilo83
August 31, 2015, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Yep i agree with this, ive never jumped on the "anti Hurst" brigade before but he can go now for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:28pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I still think we will make the play offs. There are not 5 better sides than us in this league but FFS, can we at least mount a season long challenge for once? It's not too much to ask given our resources is it?

Yeah and what we need for that is someone that's lost  3 times already in the play offs managing us .
Sack now !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:30pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Firstly sacking managers after a few bad games is what got us down here in the first place.  Fair enough Hurst has had a few seasons now but after a busy summer this is a little too soon to be calling for heads!

Secondly Can i ask did all the people calling for Hurst's head donate to operation promotion? If so why? To me it seems insane as fans to say he gave us our club back and pump as much money as we did into the club and then to go "well that sucks, we were wrong!" before August is out.  Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason? Genuinely interested in what people think about that.  

I gave a fair whack of my spare money to operation promotion because I was proud to be a Mariner again in a way I hadn't been for years.  Part of that is down to Hurst, part the players and part the fans.  At the moment parts of that trinity are letting me down (its not the fans btw).  That doesn't mean I am ready to stop believing in them.  

Anyone on here who tries to paint a rosy picture of it being fine as it is only August etc is as deluded as I am when I keep buying Euromillions tickets and imagine how that will turn GTFC into European Superpowers.  

Equally anyone on here saying that Hurst has done nothing for the club needs to get themselves checked out too.  Yes there is clearly something wrong at the club if we keep dominating games and fail to win.  But that is definately better than failing to dominate games and losing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 169
Grim74
August 31, 2015, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.u.....36-detail/story.html

This is the kind of excrement he comes out with to rally the troops lol pathetic time to go heard and seen enough

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 169
Neilo83
August 31, 2015, 5:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Caesar
Firstly sacking managers after a few bad games is what got us down here in the first place.  Fair enough Hurst has had a few seasons now but after a busy summer this is a little too soon to be calling for heads!

Secondly Can i ask did all the people calling for Hurst's head donate to operation promotion? If so why? To me it seems insane as fans to say he gave us our club back and pump as much money as we did into the club and then to go "well that sucks, we were wrong!" before August is out.  Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason? Genuinely interested in what people think about that.  

I gave a fair whack of my spare money to operation promotion because I was proud to be a Mariner again in a way I hadn't been for years.  Part of that is down to Hurst, part the players and part the fans.  At the moment parts of that trinity are letting me down (its not the fans btw).  That doesn't mean I am ready to stop believing in them.  

Anyone on here who tries to paint a rosy picture of it being fine as it is only August etc is as deluded as I am when I keep buying Euromillions tickets and imagine how that will turn GTFC into European Superpowers.  

Equally anyone on here saying that Hurst has done nothing for the club needs to get themselves checked out too.  Yes there is clearly something wrong at the club if we keep dominating games and fail to win.  But that is definately better than failing to dominate games and losing.

Bore off with the positivity, its cringey, this man can take us no further
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 169
denni266
August 31, 2015, 5:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from ginnywings

i will have some of what you are sniffing please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Neilo83

Bore off with the positivity, its cringey, this man can take us no further

What positvity? I am fed up and bloody depressed right now! I think those being all positive are deluded as I just said!  I just argued it does not mean we make a knee jerk reaction after trusting Hurst so much over the summer ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:35pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

He'd be getting sacked for continuing to make the same mistakes after four years of trying !
He's had time now I hope he does us all a favour and walks away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 169
grimsby pete
August 31, 2015, 5:36pm

Exile
Quoted from Grim74
http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.u.....36-detail/story.html

This is the kind of excrement he comes out with to rally the troops lol pathetic time to go heard and seen enough

Its a good job we do not have a bigger squad,

Otherwise he would have made 11 changes.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

He'd be getting sacked for continuing to make the same mistakes after four years of trying !
He's had time now I hope he does us all a favour and walks away

I get that but are they not different mistakes? Before we have all been moaning at dull football and him continually playing his favourites.  Now we are moaning at him for constantly changing and being sloppy at the back, surely these are different mistakes?  Can still see why some thing time for him to go but so soon after giving him so much money seems wrong to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 169
brad_gtfc
August 31, 2015, 5:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I must admit I've always stuck by Hurst but I honestly wouldn't mind if he went now.
All the early season optimism seems to have vanished and maybe a change is the only way to save our season.
It's 7 games in and I honestly don't know what to think anymore, which pretty much says it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:43pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

I get that but are they not different mistakes? Before we have all been moaning at dull football and him continually playing his favourites.  Now we are moaning at him for constantly changing and being sloppy at the back, surely these are different mistakes?  Can still see why some thing time for him to go but so soon after giving him so much money seems wrong to me.

Different mistakes ?
Has the name Tinkerman just been invented today ?
His main problem for four and a half years is that he doesn't know what his best team is and if he does he refuses to play it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 169
Grim74
August 31, 2015, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

Where you been we've been banging on about his tinkering for years, thinks he's flipping Morinio

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Different mistakes ?
Has the name Tinkerman just been invented today ?
His main problem for four and a half years is that he doesn't know what his best team is and if he does he refuses to play it

It is only this season I have heard him called it! Forgive me if I have missed him being called it numerous times over the last few seasons but I honestly don't recall it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 169
jonnyboy82
August 31, 2015, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
What i cant understand is why do people still believe he can take us up ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:47pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grim74

Where you been we've been banging on about his tinkering for years, thinks he's flipping Morinio

Have been here but have honestly not seen that criticism over the more numerous dull football complaint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 169
grimsby pete
August 31, 2015, 5:48pm

Exile
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Maybe because he nearly did it last season.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 169
grimsby pete
August 31, 2015, 5:50pm

Exile
We can not sack him until he has had a chance to put things right,

If after 12 games we are sill down here then that's the time to think about it.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 169
promotion plaice
August 31, 2015, 5:50pm

Quoted from jonnyboy82

I thought you had stopped posting on here for a bit.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:52pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Give it a rest Pete , we've heard all this before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 5:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Caesar

Is that another qualification for the right to comment?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 5:54pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I put £120 quid in and I say time to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 5:54pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

12 games? I reckon he's had 132 at least.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 169
Caesar
August 31, 2015, 5:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker

No not at all! I wouldn't want it to be which is why I addedd that I was really interested in responses.  I put in money cos I trusted Hurst to use it well.  So for me it is too soon to change my mind.  Is really not meant to be a barrier to stop people criticising (fairly tbh) Hurst.  Sorry if it read that way!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 169
sydney
August 31, 2015, 5:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Oh Dear
That was woeful, with all the pre-season optimism and support,  I find this result and performance and seemingly endless squad tinkering (probably the best squad assembled for a few seasons) so hard to bear ive broken my own rule of not posting until 24hrs afetr the game.
Where do we go from here?
Remember it was the title we wanted this year.
PH fan or not, he has to take responsibility for these last few results (Lincoln aside)
Come on Town!! we are better than this....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 169
topuphere666
August 31, 2015, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Hurst can get good players in, his signings have largely been good. The issue is he's doesn't seem to motivate them and appears naive tactically. Rotating players (granted 2 games close together takes its toll) is never going to give us the continuity that we need to get a run together.

I think 7 points out he next 9 is needed as minimum. If we can't achieve that a review is needed, Keeping Hurst on but in a scouting role would be ideal. I don't think he would agree though...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 169
August 31, 2015, 6:15pm
Guest User
Difficult to take any positives from the game today, saying that I had great cup of tea at half time. I've never been a fan of the Hurst way of football but it would be good to hear what the Board of directors say, they really need to come out and back him or September could be a long month, 2 weeks and Brodie could be back to inflict another home defeat. Let's hope Hurst get's manager of the month for September, anything less and Sargent  Mullin will fire him.
Reply: 48 - 169
oldun
August 31, 2015, 6:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am not in favour of a knee jerk reaction. Paul has brought some talented players into the squad and they have shown they are capable of playing attractive football. At the present time the goalkeeper is a worry and that needs to be addressed. I am also beginning to feel that we need more of a physical presence in the midfield, someone who can dominate proceedings. We just have never had this in the past few seasons. Ball players are fine but you need a mix in the team and a driving force in the engine room would add that extra steel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 169
Lordgibil
August 31, 2015, 6:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +31
Tired?  Were we not playing 2 or 3 games a week through July pretty much sticking to the same eleven and now the season has started the players are tired and the best players sit on the bench. Who should take responsibility for that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 169
barralad
August 31, 2015, 7:56pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

Quite witty but you could have highlighted the next bit which goes on to qualify his statement/question  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 169
GollyGTFC
August 31, 2015, 8:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,955
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from grimsby pete

He's had 4 and a half years to do the job he was brought in to do- get us back in the Football League. How much time do you want to give him? He's failed. And there is nothing to suggest from the first 7 games that this season will be any different. Nice guy. Done his best. Not good enough though. Time for a change.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 169
Tommy
August 31, 2015, 8:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Our start to the season hasn't changed my opinion that we have the best squad of players we've had since we've been down here. And that's down to Hurst. But is Hurst capable of getting that potential out the squad and turning it into the level of consistency and number of points required?

I'd thought from September/October last season that he wouldn't be capable managing a Championship winning side. The run we had to the end of the season earned him the right to have another go I thought, but we're making the same mistakes and he's showing the same short-comings as in previous years.

It's already looking like another season of inconsistency and getting in the play-offs. Should we change the manager? Who else is there? Would you be confident in Fenty picking a new manager?

I wouldn't be against letting someone else have a go now but I wouldn't be 100% confident we'd get the right man in to replace PH.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 169
August 31, 2015, 8:36pm
Guest User

I don't trust the (non) Chairman to appoint anyone better.
Reply: 54 - 169
promotion plaice
August 31, 2015, 8:38pm

It's a board decision.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 169
Perkins
August 31, 2015, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from 97

I don't trust the (non) Chairman to appoint anyone better.

No, I think it's a fair bet that if Hurst ever did get the sack he would appoint Doig.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 169
ginnywings
August 31, 2015, 8:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He's had 4 and a half years to do the job he was brought in to do- get us back in the Football League. How much time do you want to give him? He's failed. And there is nothing to suggest from the first 7 games that this season will be any different. Nice guy. Done his best. Not good enough though. Time for a change.

In a nutshell. I said yesterday that i'm not a Hurst fan but wasn't asking for him to be replaced. Today just put the tin hat on it and i think it's time for a new direction. I'm willing to bet that if you go back and look at the promoted teams from this league for say the last 5 seasons, that none of those managers took 4.5 years to get there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 169
dapperz fun pub
August 31, 2015, 8:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings

In a nutshell. I said yesterday that i'm not a Hurst fan but wasn't asking for him to be replaced. Today just put the tin hat on it and i think it's time for a new direction. I'm willing to bet that if you go back and look at the promoted teams from this league for say the last 5 seasons, that none of those managers took 4.5 years to get there.

Luton had 2\3 play off failures and I'm pretty sure the managers involved got the boot early the following season due to poor starts. They rolled the dice until they got it right and so should we
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 169
grimps
August 31, 2015, 9:07pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Luton had 2\3 play off failures and I'm pretty sure the managers involved got the boot early the following season due to poor starts. They rolled the dice until they got it right and so should we

I was thinking the same about Luton earlier !
Their fans didn't seem to have the low expectations of some of ours , they knew they was a league club and wouldn't accept anyone managing them who they didn't think had what it took to get them out of this league .
We seem to have plenty on here and maybe dare I say in the board room and fan forums ect that think getting into the play offs every year is some sort of success.
We are as big a club as Luton with probably as rich a history yet we have let this manager waste 4 and a half years of our lives putting up with this dross .
The time has come for change , yeah we might go Sneak a win next week in the way Hurst often has when the axe has been looming but it will still not change the fact that we are out of the title race in August
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Quite witty but you could have highlighted the next bit which goes on to qualify his statement/question  

What you mean the bit where he says: "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?" which strongly suggested he was only asking people who donated.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

No not at all! I wouldn't want it to be which is why I addedd that I was really interested in responses.  I put in money cos I trusted Hurst to use it well.  So for me it is too soon to change my mind.  Is really not meant to be a barrier to stop people criticising (fairly tbh) Hurst.  Sorry if it read that way!

Cheers for clarifying bud. I got confused by the bit which said "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?"

In answer to your question, I thought, "well maybe i was wrong, he's got closer to success this time and we just need an extra push." I'm glad I did chip in but I think my original conclusion that he won't get us promoted was probably right.

I think the guy seems to have an eye for a good player but he mucks up too often in team selection. He still seems to fear the opposition too much and tries to counter what they do when we have the wherewithal to f*ck most sides in this league right over, he puts square pegs in round holes when he doesn't need to, he has an idiosyncratic loyalty to some players but equally odd ability to drop players for minor dips in performance, he has a stubbornness about not having a substitute goalie, he persists with loanees who appear to bring no more than squad players already on the books.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 10:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Hurst in. If certain people had of had their way during our lowest point last season I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been one penalty kick away from the Football League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I am not in favour of a knee jerk reaction. Paul has brought some talented players into the squad and they have shown they are capable of playing attractive football. At the present time the goalkeeper is a worry and that needs to be addressed. I am also beginning to feel that we need more of a physical presence in the midfield, someone who can dominate proceedings. We just have never had this in the past few seasons. Ball players are fine but you need a mix in the team and a driving force in the engine room would add that extra steel.

Knee jerk reaction? Come oooooonn! How long's the guy had? If that's a knee jerk reaction your leg probably hasn't twitched in response to that tap with the patella hammer you got five years ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Hurst in. If certain people had of had their way during our lowest point last season I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been one penalty kick away from the Football League.

Or we might not needed to have gone to the play offs in the first case.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 169
dapperz fun pub
August 31, 2015, 10:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

We lost rik, that day at Wembley was failure not success
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 169
ginnywings
August 31, 2015, 10:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rik e B

Maybe a new guy would have taken us up. It's all conjecture. My view is that if Hurst had got a striker in sooner, the league was there for the taking. Barnet weren't that good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
I see the cretins have crawled out from under their rocks, people who rarely attend and perversely seem to long for a poor run of results in order to force change. To those who go regularly this isn't pointed at you and your opinion whatever it may be is ten times more valid.

I missed today because of work and Altrincham so perhaps minutely skewiffed view but I'm happy to stick rather than twist based on the rest of the matches played that I have witnessed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 169
MarinerMal
August 31, 2015, 11:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Not a huge Hurst fan and it may well be he isn't the man to take us to the title but I don't think you can totally put the blame on him for today.

The changes were understandable given we played in a local derby on 2 days previously with 10 men in quite high temperatures. That is going to take it out of the players so it is only natural to freshen it up a little.

The changes were fairly sensible unlike the Torquay game and seemed to work fine in the first half. We probably should have scored and seemed in control of the game. Their goal came largely against the run of play IMO and was down to a keeper error, again. Apart from getting another keeper in there is not a lot the manager can do about that. Again, in the second half we started well and created a couple of chances but were hit with another goal against the run of play. That goal was poor and could have been defended better but you naturally take more risks when hunting an equaliser.

I don't think today was a day to blame the manager unlike the Torquay game were I thought he did mess up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Maybe of course ginny, we'll never know, but one penno kick is pretty darn close and we were the best team on the day. Hurst could easily have gone down in folklore but hey its all ifs, buts and maybes but that's football.

Whoever it is I tend to lean towards stability and trying to be positive but that's just me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 169
ginnywings
August 31, 2015, 11:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rik e B
Maybe of course ginny, we'll never know, but one penno kick is pretty darn close and we were the best team on the day. Hurst could easily have gone down in folklore but hey its all ifs, buts and maybes but that's football.

Whoever it is I tend to lean towards stability and trying to be positive but that's just me.

I respect your view and even yesterday i was saying that i'm not naive enough to think that we could get a better manager just like that but today he totally changed the side yet again and we failed yet again. I'm trying to be positive and i do think there is merit in stability but how long do we give him? Most mangers don't get nigh on 5 years at any club if they fail to do what they are employed for.  Sometimes in life, things just become stale from familiarity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Even Buckley backed Hurst today saying if he had of not changed the team they still couldn't have dominated the start of the game any more than they did, it wasn't the changes that caused the loss. Tondeur added it was those that stayed in that were more culpible and the 'new' guys did well. They had two chances, two goals. He did however say we could have used Disley as Robinson and Clay much of a muchness.

But hey I'm gonna sign off from The Fishy for a while I hate it when it gets like this. Hope no panic buttons pressed just yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
I really don't know either, I see where you're coming from, other side of the coin I guess. Certain little feck ups grate me but also there's factors like I'm pretty sure we would have lost the likes of Arnold and Pearson had a new broom been put in charge last season. I love the way the players generally play with pride and passion for the shirt which has been so long lacking and I've seen us play some great stuff already this Season. We have looked a cut above and capable of steamrolling teams at teams but it's a results business and we've gotta seal the deal.

Only time can tell if whichever direction we take proves to be the wise one, or not. Nobody knows.

I just think bear with it. It's worse because FGR and the likes are absolutely flying, I was kinda hoping no one else would be up to the task but it never quite goes as you hope, all the other challengers are just as hungry.

Winning a title is always difficult, I'm pretty sure we'll be up there again though. Operation Promotion has brought and added expectation and the wise among us all knew there would be a storm to ride at some point, just it's come a bit soon.

My head hurts, signing off for a while to let dust settle...

Peace Fishy people and I hope to can have a reasoned debate without too much mud slinging, I just can't bear to read the tripe from the almost trolling doom bringers who clearly don't even bother going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 169
arryarryarry
August 31, 2015, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Rik e B
I really don't know either, I see where you're coming from, other side of the coin I guess. Certain little feck ups grate me but also there's factors like I'm pretty sure we would have lost the likes of Arnold and Pearson had a new broom been put in charge last season. I love the way the players generally play with pride and passion for the shirt which has been so long lacking and I've seen us play some great stuff already this Season. We have looked a cut above and capable of steamrolling teams at teams but it's a results business and we've gotta seal the deal.

Only time can tell if whichever direction we take proves to be the wise one, or not. Nobody knows.

I just think bear with it. It's worse because FGR and the likes are absolutely flying, I was kinda hoping no one else would be up to the task but it never quite goes as you hope, all the other challengers are just as hungry.

Winning a title is always difficult, I'm pretty sure we'll be up there again though. Operation Promotion has brought and added expectation and the wise among us all knew there would be a storm to ride at some point, just it's come a bit soon.

My head hurts, signing off for a while to let dust settle...

Peace Fishy people and I hope to can have a reasoned debate without too much mud slinging, I just can't bear to read the tripe from the almost trolling doom bringers who clearly don't even bother going.

The problem is, that is the same old blah blah blah we've been hearing for the past 5 seasons.

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 169
RonMariner
September 1, 2015, 12:06am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,672
Gold Stars: 226
The point is that many of us gave to Operation Promotion in order to try and avoid the lottery of the play offs which are riddled with crap refereeing decisions. The point was to get a squad that, unlike previous seasons, wouldn't fall miles behind the leaders and so not be title contenders.

Giving one team a 12 point head start, and several others big leads, means that we already have a mountain to climb. So far we appear to have a leaky defence, a weak midfield, an error prone keeper, ineffective wingers, and poor finishers up front. And all this against very poor opposition. 5 poor results out of 7 games. That is the reality.

I think we will be lucky to make the playoffs, and even if we do we may as well toss a coin to decide if we go up.

I am totally shocked by the situation.   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 169
GrimRob
September 1, 2015, 12:15am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Every major bookmaker has us as second favourites to get promoted still. Do we really need to save the season?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 75 - 169
Abdul19
September 1, 2015, 12:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
I think we'll still make the playoffs. I think we've got too many decent players for the side not to 'click' at some point and go on a decent run.

But a run decent enough to bridge the gap to the ONE automatic spot? I doubt it.

Would a new manager be able to bridge that gap? Dunno (obviously!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 169
Mrs Doyle
September 1, 2015, 4:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
To many fannies on here panicking, yeah we all paid into operation Promotion (VOLUNTARY)  that DOES NOT mean we have a god given right to romp this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 169
grimps
September 1, 2015, 4:36am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To many fannies on here panicking, yeah we all paid into operation Promotion (VOLUNTARY)  that DOES NOT mean we have a god given right to romp this league.

No but it dosnt mean we should be out of the title race after 6 games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 169
GollyGTFC
September 1, 2015, 6:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

He got brought in to return us to the Football League. He hasn't done it. I don't see why he earns bonus points for falling short by a slightly narrower margin each season. He's had 4 and a half years to get us over the line and the start of this season suggests it will be more of the same. There comes a point where you have to draw the line and say no more. Time for a change.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 79 - 169
Grim74
September 1, 2015, 6:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Whoever we bring in we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot with this squad anyway, hurst deserves no praise for previous playoff spots with the budget he gets, it's like asking me to manage Man City with the aim to finish in the top ten, so let's stop messing about get rid and push the boat out for a manager that has got the nous to get us over that final hurdle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 169
GollyGTFC
September 1, 2015, 6:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
I see the cretins have crawled out from under their rocks, people who rarely attend and perversely seem to long for a poor run of results in order to force change. To those who go regularly this isn't pointed at you and your opinion whatever it may be is ten times more valid.

I missed today because of work and Altrincham so perhaps minutely skewiffed view but I'm happy to stick rather than twist based on the rest of the matches played that I have witnessed.

I've been to every game this season. Generally we have played quite well in patches this season, but it's a results industry. Results haven't been good enough and anybody with a remote understanding of football can see why. The Kidderminster game sums up everything that has followed.

Both goals at Kidderminster, the 2nd at Altrincham, both against Torquay, Lincoln's penalty and the first yesterday were all self inflicted. It's not bad luck. If our defending is so bad that we need 3 goals to win a game it's hardly surprising to find ourselves down in 11th after 7 games.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 169
Badger57
September 1, 2015, 7:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30

Cheers for clarifying bud. I got confused by the bit which said "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?"

In answer to your question, I thought, "well maybe i was wrong, he's got closer to success this time and we just need an extra push." I'm glad I did chip in but I think my original conclusion that he won't get us promoted was probably right.

I think the guy seems to have an eye for a good player but he mucks up too often in team selection. He still seems to fear the opposition too much and tries to counter what they do when we have the wherewithal to f*ck most sides in this league right over, he puts square pegs in round holes when he doesn't need to, he has an idiosyncratic loyalty to some players but equally odd ability to drop players for minor dips in performance, he has a stubbornness about not having a substitute goalie, he persists with loanees who appear to bring no more than squad players already on the books.

Perfectly put.  Nothing has changed. Einstein's oft quoted definition of insanity is doing something over and over again expecting a different result.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 169
Mariner Timsky
September 1, 2015, 7:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
I keep reading 'out of the title race' , , seriously? 39 games are still to play!! And those saying that we are out of the title race and want Hurst out then what's the point!?!?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 169
BraStrap
September 1, 2015, 7:26am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
If forest green win every game there's nothing else anyone can do. Its just a question of a top 5 finish.

We have switched to a more attacking style this season because people were moaning we were too defensive. They are still moaning. Hurst should go back to what he was doing originally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 169
highcliff mariner
September 1, 2015, 7:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
I keep reading 'out of the title race' , , seriously? 39 games are still to play!! And those saying that we are out of the title race and want Hurst out then what's the point!?!?

1st sentence is spot on 😃
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 169
Grim74
September 1, 2015, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Have you looked at the league table? the point is we want promotion, and we are not goining to get it with the tinkering one. Automatic promotion was the aim even the bookies had us favourites this year but tinker is failing miserably his stubbornness wil be his downfall.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 169
1mickylyons
September 1, 2015, 7:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
In the event Hurst goes who would we fancy coming in? My shout Neil Aspin at Halifax think he has done a good job on a much smaller budget and think with his knowledge of this league he could get us firing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 169
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1mickylyons
In the event Hurst goes who would we fancy coming in? My shout Neil Aspin at Halifax think he has done a good job on a much smaller budget and think with his knowledge of this league he could get us firing.

I would not want us to play Aspin's style of 'football' as seen at Halifax i.e. kicking chunks out of the opposition, diving and generally cheating. Oh, you may have noticed that Halifax are currently sitting in the relegation spots as well.

I don't think we have any god-given right to be at the top of the table (especially when there are a few teams with bigger budgets than ours), but we should certainly be a lot closer to the top than we are now. But for individual errors, I'd have thought we should have another 4 or 5 points on the board at the very least.

A lot of people point out that Luton kept changing managers until they got it right, but it shouldn't be forgotten that they had a lot more money to spend than us as well. They could effectively afford to keep chopping and changing until they got it right. I don't think we can.

Ultimately, I think changing manager at this point in the season would be pretty ridiculous. If you're going to let a manager sign a number of players over the course of the summer, getting rid after a slow start to the season is just daft. If we haven't clicked and seen a good improvement in form by the end of the month, then maybe you need to think about a change, but after 3 weeks of the season? No.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 169
MarinerGaz
September 1, 2015, 8:21am

Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +399
Quoted from GrimRob
Every major bookmaker has us as second favourites to get promoted still. Do we really need to save the season?

I would think that's mostly because a lot of money has already been bet on Town to win and the squad is relatively strong, the bookies can't afford the price to go out too far now...if a new manager came in and turned things around they would be cutting their own throats! Of course we can still statistically win the title, that's what we all really want, but the current odds aren't solely reflective of the current situation (i.e. they aren't backing for a PH masterplan)...a title contending team has been built, the formula for the delivery has yet to be realised!...should the current situation continue, punters won't get a payout for midtable come the end of the season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 169
arryarryarry
September 1, 2015, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BraStrap
If forest green win every game there's nothing else anyone can do. Its just a question of a top 5 finish.

We have switched to a more attacking style this season because people were moaning we were too defensive. They are still moaning. Hurst should go back to what he was doing originally.

You mean failing to get us promoted?

Private Message
Reply: 90 - 169
ROKERITE
September 1, 2015, 9:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Quoted from Maringer

I would not want us to play Aspin's style of 'football' as seen at Halifax i.e. kicking chunks out of the opposition, diving and generally cheating. Oh, you may have noticed that Halifax are currently sitting in the relegation spots as well.

I don't think we have any god-given right to be at the top of the table (especially when there are a few teams with bigger budgets than ours), but we should certainly be a lot closer to the top than we are now. But for individual errors, I'd have thought we should have another 4 or 5 points on the board at the very least.

A lot of people point out that Luton kept changing managers until they got it right, but it shouldn't be forgotten that they had a lot more money to spend than us as well. They could effectively afford to keep chopping and changing until they got it right. I don't think we can.

Ultimately, I think changing manager at this point in the season would be pretty ridiculous. If you're going to let a manager sign a number of players over the course of the summer, getting rid after a slow start to the season is just daft. If we haven't clicked and seen a good improvement in form by the end of the month, then maybe you need to think about a change, but after 3 weeks of the season? No.

I agree with 1mickylyons. Yes, Aspin has a reputation for "industrial" football but he's done a remarkable job with Halifax even though his resources have been limited and they remain part-time. They're struggling right now but that's just a snapshot, not the bigger picture.. If Hurst goes then I can't think of a better realistic replacement than Aspin.
However, I also agree that it's too soon to sack a man who took Grimsby close last season and has been allowed to oversee a major squad overhaul this Summer; but if there isn't a turnaround very soon then a change should be made. The pattern so far is all too familiar.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 169
arryarryarry
September 1, 2015, 9:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

So you later post about moaners who according to you didn't even go to the game :-

Peace Fishy people and I hope to can have a reasoned debate without too much mud slinging, I just can't bear to read the tripe from the almost trolling doom bringers who clearly don't even bother going

And now it turns out you didn't even go to the game, or Altrincham or how many others, so who is the cretin now?
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 169
September 1, 2015, 9:38am
Guest User
Quoted from ROKERITE

If Hurst goes then I can't think of a better realistic replacement than Aspin.

And there we have it. This is the reality folks. That being the case, and given our past record regarding appointments, my gut feeling is that we have to stick with Hurst.
Reply: 93 - 169
September 1, 2015, 10:06am
Guest User
Heh at the red crosses. Do you really trust our current leadership to appoint anyone better?
Reply: 94 - 169
headingly_mariner
September 1, 2015, 10:07am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Way too soon for me, not happy with yesterday but wouldn't consider a sacking yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 169
GrimRob
September 1, 2015, 10:13am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Hurst is months away from getting the sack after his consistent record since he's been here for which the recent attendances are testimony. I don't know why people can't support the team rather than waste their time speculating about something that is never going to happen.

If he were to go we'd be handing one of our best assets away to one of the other teams in the division and it would make it even harder to go up

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 169
Neilo83
September 1, 2015, 10:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Hurst is months away from getting the sack after his consistent record since he's been here for which the recent attendances are testimony. I don't know why people can't support the team rather than waste their time speculating about something that is never going to happen.

If he were to go we'd be handing one of our best assets away to one of the other teams in the division and it would make it even harder to go up

Why would it make it harder? We're not exactly a force at the minute are we when teams like Macclesfield are coming here and beating us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 169
cannylad68
September 1, 2015, 10:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
For everyone's views whether PH should go or stay, only one counts, that is the board's, ( or should I say JF).
I have stated quite a few times on this board, that I am firmly of the opinion that JF likes to be a 'big fish in a small pond'.
Excuse the pun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 169
arryarryarry
September 1, 2015, 10:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
The only thing that Hurst has proved so far is that he cannot get us promoted.

I have always said he wouldn't do it although this season I changed my mind with the squad he has assembled, however seeing every game so far this season I have gone back to my original thinking.

My question is, just how many seasons do we give him?
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 169
ackomariner
September 1, 2015, 10:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Quoted from GrimRob

Think you'll find the attendance's are dropping rob, and will drop even further after yesterday..... What's that telling you

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 169
grimps
September 1, 2015, 10:50am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
We have so called fan representation on the board now , how would we go about calling for a vote of no confidence in him ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 169
September 1, 2015, 11:25am
Guest User
Quoted from Neilo83

Why would it make it harder? We're not exactly a force at the minute are we when teams like Macclesfield are coming here and beating us.

Macclesfield always beat us. This is not new.
Reply: 102 - 169
LookBackInAngers
September 1, 2015, 3:39pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
We have had some poor results recently but we will be in contention soon.Many respected managers claim not to even look at league tables until ten or so games have been played so have a bit of patience.We backed the guy with extra funds a few weeks ago so support him and see what happens.FGR will not keep this pace up much longer.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2015, 3:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
We have had some poor results recently but we will be in contention soon.Many respected managers claim not to even look at league tables until ten or so games have been played so have a bit of patience.We backed the guy with extra funds a few weeks ago so support him and see what happens.FGR will not keep this pace up much longer.UTM

We've backed the guy (and his mate) for long enough now. And with what authority can you say FGR won't keep up the pace? We've just taken 2 points in 4 games against teams in 12th, 16th,17th and 19th place in the table - I bet FGR are quaking in their boots.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 169
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 3:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Aspin has gained 3 promotions with Halifax, taking them from the Northern Premier League. Not advocating him as manager but just shows that there are managers out there that can do the biz, even with a shoestring budget. It's not that difficult a job to get us into the play-offs and any half decent manager would probably achieve it with our resources. What we need is someone who gets that bit extra out of a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 169
oldun
September 1, 2015, 4:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
I am in the NO tribe regarding dismissing Hurst. As for Aspin, I cannot see many of our squad being capable of playing the Aspin way or the fans being happy with it. I do however think that fans just want wins regardless of how that is achieved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 169
September 1, 2015, 4:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Aspin has gained 3 promotions with Halifax, taking them from the Northern Premier League. Not advocating him as manager but just shows that there are managers out there that can do the biz, even with a shoestring budget. It's not that difficult a job to get us into the play-offs and any half decent manager would probably achieve it with our resources. What we need is someone who gets that bit extra out of a team.

My issue is that I currently have less confidence in GTFC's recruitment procedures than I do Paul Hurst. If they make another in a long line of mostly dreadful appointments it'll be the final nail in the coffin. I'm not sure it's worth the risk at the moment. Ask me again in December.
Reply: 107 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2015, 4:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 97

My issue is that I currently have less confidence in GTFC's recruitment procedures than I do Paul Hurst. If they make another in a long line of mostly dreadful appointments it'll be the final nail in the coffin. I'm not sure it's worth the risk at the moment. Ask me again in December.

By December will be too late. The way we start our games is too slow, the way we start our season is too slow, the way our manager reacts to situations is too slow, the process for building a stadium is too slow. Everything we do is reactive not proactive. You don't need to look too far down the road to see what can be done on a very similar, if not smaller fanbase.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 169
HighamMariner
September 1, 2015, 4:48pm
More to life than sucking fentys meglomaniac behind
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -64
The club will dither, the team will probably pick up a couple of wins and the board will see that as justification for the dithering.  The fishy elders will go into 'I told you so' mode as we somehow manage to claw our way back into contention.  We'll manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the play-offs and start next season in the same division.  A summer of almosts followed by a couple of, on paper, decent signings and the whole merry-go-round starts again.  Repeat each season until PH gets offered a job at Rovrum.

Seriously, JF and the board, like many on here I'm in my early 50's.  Before I shake a seven I'd love to see us promoted back into the football league, that isn't going to happen while PH remains manager.

Be back when fenty felicitations off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 169
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 5:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

By December will be too late. The way we start our games is too slow, the way we start our season is too slow, the way our manager reacts to situations is too slow, the process for building a stadium is too slow. Everything we do is reactive not proactive. You don't need to look too far down the road to see what can be done on a very similar, if not smaller fanbase.

That's exactly my feeling. There never seems to be any urgency or drive about the place. How many managers last for 4.5 years in football today without achieving their objectives? He was brought in to get us back into the league and he has failed/is failing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 169
Vance Warner
September 1, 2015, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,800
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from grimps
We have so called fan representation on the board now , how would we go about calling for a vote of no confidence in him ?

The point of fan representation is to represent fans views. Just because people get their knickers in a twist on here and start poo stirring after every bad result doesn't mean the majority of fans feel that way. I don't pretend to know the view of the majority of fans and neither should you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 169
HighamMariner
September 1, 2015, 7:31pm
More to life than sucking fentys meglomaniac behind
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -64
Quoted from Vance Warner

The point of fan representation is to represent fans views. Just because people get their knickers in a twist on here and start poo stirring after every bad result doesn't mean the majority of fans feel that way. I don't pretend to know the view of the majority of fans and neither should you.

How was the fan representation gained again?  Was it something along the lines of....

'Sign all your shares over to me or I pull the funding from the club'

Oh okay then.

Twelve months later a position on the board for someone representing a group with no voting rights.  So what is the point?  If I were really cynical I'd suggest that a confidentiality agreement had to be signed before the individual was co-opted........but I'm sure that's not the case  

Be back when fenty felicitations off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 169
Vance Warner
September 1, 2015, 9:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HighamMariner

How was the fan representation gained again?  Was it something along the lines of....

'Sign all your shares over to me or I pull the funding from the club'

Oh okay then.

Twelve months later a position on the board for someone representing a group with no voting rights.  So what is the point?  If I were really cynical I'd suggest that a confidentiality agreement had to be signed before the individual was co-opted........but I'm sure that's not the case  

I completely agree that the fans should have some 'voting rights' but was objecting to the assumption that the majority of fans want a change of manager. A voting system among Trust members would increase membership and avoid the voices of those who shout loudest being heard above others. Having said that you can't expect to have a vote on changing manager after every defeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 12:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

I completely agree that the fans should have some 'voting rights' but was objecting to the assumption that the majority of fans want a change of manager. A voting system among Trust members would increase membership and avoid the voices of those who shout loudest being heard above others. Having said that you can't expect to have a vote on changing manager after every defeat.

Did you go to the game on Monday, of the fans that were actually left in the stadium as the ref blew his whistle a fair number of them were booing showing their displeasure, how many expected that so early in the season.

Many more results like that and the board will definitely be looking at Paul Hurst's position as according to a very good source from within the club, they were looking last season after our poor start then.

Private Message
Reply: 114 - 169
Harry Haddock
September 2, 2015, 2:57am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you go to the game on Monday, of the fans that were actually left in the stadium as the ref blew his whistle a fair number of them were booing showing their displeasure, how many expected that so early in the season.

Many more results like that and the board will definitely be looking at Paul Hurst's position as according to a very good source from within the club, they were looking last season after our poor start then.

You dont need anybody in the club to tell you that

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 169
oldun
September 2, 2015, 7:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Reading these posts is like reading the fishy this time last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 169
jonnyboy82
September 2, 2015, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
And the year before that the year before that and oh yes the year before that too...

What does that tell you ? It tells me nowt has changed and that the common denominator is a certain mr hurst.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 169
big al
September 2, 2015, 8:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from jonnyboy82
And the year before that the year before that and oh yes the year before that too...

What does that tell you ? It tells me nowt has changed and that the common denominator is a certain mr hurst.

or..... the common denominator is that this league is bloody hard to get out of. Last May we were a hairs breadth away from achieving that. Other teams have done it with money or with a style of football that I wouldn't want to be associated with.

What disappoints me is that a lot of fans have clearly moved into that mindset which states 'who cares what the football is like as long as we're winning' - I for one would care. I have always been proud to be a Town fan because our best managers have wanted to play football.

I think all Town fans (pro and anti PH) share the simple truth that we feel frustrated that we are down in this league when history would suggest we should be somewhere much higher up the pile. But we're not. Change Hurst now and we could be down here for many more seasons playing hoofball.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 169
jonnyboy82
September 2, 2015, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Jesus , paul hardly has us playing like barca does he !

And if it meant promotion i couldnt give a toss if it was booted 80 yards with 85 headers before it went in the back of the net.

The myth that we play football went out the window more than ten years ago , we dont and we havent since buckleys proper stints in charge.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 169
grimsby pete
September 2, 2015, 8:41am

Exile
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Jesus , paul hardly has us playing like barca does he !

And if it meant promotion i couldnt give a toss if it was booted 80 yards with 85 headers before it went in the back of the net.

The myth that we play football went out the window more than ten years ago , we dont and we havent since buckleys proper stints in charge.

We have non league  players trying to play good football jonnyboy,

No we are not Barcelona but if we were that good we would not be non league would we ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 169
jonnyboy82
September 2, 2015, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
It was tongue in cheek pete  

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 169
Caesar
September 2, 2015, 8:51am

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from big al

or..... the common denominator is that this league is bloody hard to get out of. Last May we were a hairs breadth away from achieving that. Other teams have done it with money or with a style of football that I wouldn't want to be associated with.

What disappoints me is that a lot of fans have clearly moved into that mindset which states 'who cares what the football is like as long as we're winning' - I for one would care. I have always been proud to be a Town fan because our best managers have wanted to play football.

I think all Town fans (pro and anti PH) share the simple truth that we feel frustrated that we are down in this league when history would suggest we should be somewhere much higher up the pile. But we're not. Change Hurst now and we could be down here for many more seasons playing hoofball.

We are certainly frustrated, I think at the end of the day whatever we do is a gamble.  You think sticking with Hurst is a better bet at getting us promoted.  It seems the majority on here think we need to make a change to have a better chance of getting promoted.  Nobody actually knows which is the better choice and their are arguments on both sides.

I can understand why people are fed up with Hurst after so many years down here.  Rovers came down and got out straight away, Barnet came down and after a couple of years had also found their way out, while we have stuck with the same man for that time and right now seem as far away as ever, this to me suggests that PH is a good manager but possibly not good enough, a concerm I have raised before.  Also as great as Operation Promotion was this kind of feels like last chance for me, we are never going to raise 110 grand next year if we are still down here are we?

Personally I feel we have a better chance of going up this season by giving the man who got what we all seem to think is an excellent team together time to get them performing to their peaks.  Last year Hurst showed that he can develop an excellent team spirit amongst players and get them to want to play for him, the number who stayed with us tells me that he is a popular choice with the players, but boy do I hope I am right as am sue we are going to stick with Hurst for a while yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 9:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Harry Haddock

You dont need anybody in the club to tell you that

According to some on here there is no chance they would get rid.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LookBackInAngers

Many kept saying the same about Barnet, they did have some poor results as all teams will do but please remind us all what League are they in now.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 9:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from big al

Some of our football last season was cr@p. I actually thought he had changed our style of play for this season with the friendlies and two 4-1 home wins and was really looking forward to this season but Altrincham showed how to combat that style as did Macclesfield to some extent.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 169
September 2, 2015, 9:42am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Many kept saying the same about Barnet, they did have some poor results as all teams will do but please remind us all what League are they in now.

It was in our hands for a couple of games, when we went on a great run last spring. Yes, I appreciate we blew it, but the fact remains that they were caught and had pretty much resigned themselves to the play offs at one point.
Reply: 126 - 169
September 2, 2015, 9:47am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Some of our football last season was cr@p. I actually thought he had changed our style of play for this season with the friendlies and two 4-1 home wins and was really looking forward to this season but Altrincham showed how to combat that style as did Macclesfield to some extent.

I think two things happened; firstly, opposing forwards started putting Gowling and Toto under pressure when we were trying to play it from the back, and secondly, the high ball to Monkhouse was found out.

Since then, we've stopped playing it from the back, panic has set in, and without Monkhouse there's not a lot of invention.

Although it seems that most on here have already decided Hurst should go, I still think that if he plays a settled team from now on we've got as good as chance as any. We'll see.
Reply: 127 - 169
ackomariner
September 2, 2015, 9:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from 97

It was in our hands for a couple of games, when we went on a great run last spring. Yes, I appreciate we blew it, but the fact remains that they were caught and had pretty much resigned themselves to the play offs at one point.

That's what people are getting at WLM, we get there and blow it....Hurst a good manager , but not good enough to get us out of this league

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 169
September 2, 2015, 10:00am
Guest User
Quoted from ackomariner

That's what people are getting at WLM, we get there and blow it....Hurst a good manager , but not good enough to get us out of this league

I'm as frustrated as anyone. I still think it's too early. Only 4 weeks ago, it was pretty unanimous we were going to do well and 99% were behind Hurst.

Anyway, all this is purely academic. You know we'll get a good win on Saturday (given it's away) and probably go on a run.
Reply: 129 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 97

I think two things happened; firstly, opposing forwards started putting Gowling and Toto under pressure when we were trying to play it from the back, and secondly, the high ball to Monkhouse was found out.

Since then, we've stopped playing it from the back, panic has set in, and without Monkhouse there's not a lot of invention.

Although it seems that most on here have already decided Hurst should go, I still think that if he plays a settled team from now on we've got as good as chance as any. We'll see.

That's the big problem, he messed about with the team for the Torquay game and it blew up in his face so you would have thought he would have learned from that, he then does the very same thing for Macclesfield and we lose.

So who is to say he will now try to play with a settled team, sometimes I wonder if he does it just to p!ss off the fans

Private Message
Reply: 130 - 169
Vance Warner
September 2, 2015, 10:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Torquay game was undoubtedly a poor selection particularly starting with Arnold up front IMO. It also took far too long to change things when it was obvious from the start we had no outlet up front. However, making changes after playing with ten men in a derby game on a warm day two days before isn't the most ridiculous thing to do. The players that came in should have been good enough to do a job on Macclesfield.

As a separate point I wonder how many Lenny haters are staring to appreciate the job he did in holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our defence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 169
ackomariner
September 2, 2015, 10:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
The Torquay game was undoubtedly a poor selection particularly starting with Arnold up front IMO. It also took far too long to change things when it was obvious from the start we had no outlet up front. However, making changes after playing with ten men in a derby game on a warm day two days before isn't the most ridiculous thing to do. The players that came in should have been good enough to do a job on Macclesfield.

As a separate point I wonder how many Lenny haters are staring to appreciate the job he did in holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our defence.

Your last paragraph .....not bothered Lewis has gone, don't miss him one bit....we've got better forwards this season just left with a manager that keeps messing with things when there's no need

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think it's coincidence that we're conceding a lot more without LJL running around like a lunatic up front putting the opposition defences under pressure and generally being a nuisance.

On the other hand, I don't think it is a coincidence that we're scoring more goals and creating more chances without LJL running around like a lunatic up front!  

A balance somewhere between the two would be nice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 169
lowerfindus
September 2, 2015, 11:41am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Vance Warner

Our form has naff all to do with LJL and everything to do with a shaky goalkeeper and too many changes to the team.

Ive often thought Hurst has his favourites but he has dropped Pearson and Disley. Unfortunately the one that should be dropped is McKeown.

As a manager I just dont think he has it, yes he has learnt from some of his mistakes but the underlying stubbornness and lack of real positivity prevents him from winning those key games.

Its unreal how often we faulter just when you think the momentum is with us.

It cannot be all down to bad luck .

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2015, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

The thing is though our defence has hardly been under any pressure at all! Between them, Lincoln and Macclesfield hardly had an attack, so it is certainly not down to that. Individual errors and unforced team changes are to blame. Our front two this year are proper strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Being a non-fan of Lenny doesn't make you a hater. What a crass phrase!

Being a non-fan of Hurst, I didn't appreciate the fact that he picked him game in, game out despite having runs of games without scoring and giving the rest of the team the 'lump it to Lenny' hoofball mentality.

All of that said, Newport aren't exactly setting League 2 alight are they?
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 12:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from 97

It wasn't in our hands; the closest we got was a point behind (effectively 2 with the gd) with 5 games to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31997206

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 12:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being a non-fan of Lenny doesn't make you a hater. What a crass phrase!

It's what da kidz say these days to describe anything they don't like, apparently!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 169
friskneymariner
September 2, 2015, 12:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
That was a point I was always making Lenny was too involved in  a defensive role to get the best out of him as a striker.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think the point is more a case that LJL (and Hannah) absolutely worked their socks off when playing up front, undoubtedly to the detriment of their attacking play.

Though not exactly shirkers, I don't think you could ever accuse Amond and Bogle of running their socks off, at least not in the games that I've seen.

When you add in the fact that Arnold and Mackreth tended to be deployed quite defensively last season and have been playing further forward this year, it's no surprise that we don't look as compact at the back. That said, most of the goals we have conceded have been really soft and should have been stopped.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 169
TownSNAFU5
September 2, 2015, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
Many/most goals conceded this season were the result of "avoidable errors".  

The trick is to avoid making the same errors in the future. Surely we can do this?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 169
essexexile
September 2, 2015, 1:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
We have to cos I reckon words got round we've got a flappy keeper and a back line that can't defend far post crosses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 169
SamTheMariner
September 2, 2015, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Approval: -101
Quoted from Abdul19

It wasn't in our hands; the closest we got was a point behind (effectively 2 with the gd) with 5 games to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31997206

If we'd won at Chester it would have been in our hands at that point.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 169
Mariner_09
September 2, 2015, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Maringer
I think the point is more a case that LJL (and Hannah) absolutely worked their socks off when playing up front, undoubtedly to the detriment of their attacking play.

Though not exactly shirkers, I don't think you could ever accuse Amond and Bogle of running their socks off, at least not in the games that I've seen.

When you add in the fact that Arnold and Mackreth tended to be deployed quite defensively last season and have been playing further forward this year, it's no surprise that we don't look as compact at the back. That said, most of the goals we have conceded have been really soft and should have been stopped.

Hannah wasn't good enough for a promotion chasing side IMO but Lenny was, and I'd disagree about Bogle and Amond, Bogle closes the play down well and Amond makes very intelligent runs creating space for others.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from SamTheMariner

And we know who to blame for that

Private Message
Reply: 145 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

And we know who to blame for that

Would that be Danny Parslow or the bloke that put him on?  
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 1:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from SamTheMariner

So if we'd won at Chester it would've been in our hands 2 weeks later if the subsequent results had gone the same way?

Any team can pick out games they should've won (and we had enough of them!) What if Barnet hadn't have drawn at Alfreton? What if Telford had won 25 more games?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 169
ska face
September 2, 2015, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hannah wasn't good enough for a promotion chasing side IMO but Lenny was, and I'd disagree about Bogle and Amond, Bogle closes the play down well and Amond makes very intelligent runs creating space for others.

Aye.

Bogle seemed largely ineffectual on Saturday because of a complete lack of support from midfield. Bogle's being played as an outlet, getting the ball with his back to goal, mainly laying it off, or turning on the rare occasion he gets some space. This worked well at the start of the season as support was there from the midfield two and the wingers, and the passing was sharp and accurate.

On Saturday, balls were getting pinged into him at chest height or 3-4 yards wide of where he's stood, he had a defender up his bottom every single time and nobody else wanted to know. The midfield two were happy to just potter about in front of our back 4, Marshall was stuck out on the bye-line and Mackreth offered frig all.

It's easy to defend against that & I hope its addressed before Bogle gets all his potential ground of him and turned into LJL MKII.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bogle and Amond are lazy players (Amond's movement in particular is excellent when he's playing at his best). I just don't think they are as ridiculously energetic in chasing down the ball as LJL and Hannah. Bogle appears to have a habit of losing concentration from time to time leading to the defenders nipping in and winning balls that they shouldn't but if he can work on that he's got a lot more potential to develop as a striker. I'd like to see him challenging defenders for aerial balls a bit better as well. You don't necessarily need to win too many of the headers, just make sure the defender can't get in a good clearance. Without actually being seen to foul them, obviously.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bogle and Amond are lazy players (Amond's movement in particular is excellent when he's playing at his best). I just don't think they are as ridiculously energetic in chasing down the ball as LJL and Hannah. Bogle appears to have a habit of losing concentration from time to time leading to the defenders nipping in and winning balls that they shouldn't but if he can work on that he's got a lot more potential to develop as a striker. I'd like to see him challenging defenders for aerial balls a bit better as well. You don't necessarily need to win too many of the headers, just make sure the defender can't get in a good clearance. Without actually being seen to foul them, obviously.

At non-league level, I don't think you're going to tick every box. In the same way as you talk about strikers, I'd love us to have a progressive midfielder who goes box to box like Cunnington and Groves used to - Disley does it to an extent but a. he's getting on and b. he needs to/gets told to defend
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 169
horsforthmariner
September 2, 2015, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,619
Gold Stars: 9
Okay here is my views.

Hurst has made some mistakes this season.

1. Tinkering with the side - I'm pretty certain the best outfield side is East at RB, Nsiala, Pearson, Robertson (LB) Monkhouse, Disley, Clay, Arnold, Bogle, Amond. In the Buckley MK1 and MK2 era's you could almost turn up to the game knowing the side in advance.  continuity bread confidence and players knew each other's positioning and attributes. If it's not working - say, e.g our famous win against Leicester in the league cup you can change things from the bench.

2. He hasn't made the one change that is necessary - We need Mckeown out the side as he is clearly shot. He needs a few games out the firing line.

3. Bringing Robinson in on loan was a mistake - It has affected Clay (who was playing really well until he came in) and he hasn't added everything.

4. Playing Gowling - Josh is a good player but Pearson and Nsiala have been playing together for a year now and know each other's game inside out. With two new strikers trying to learn how to play together it makes sense to keep it simple at the back.

5. Not "cheating" - going back to the Wembley final when there keeper should have been sent off we didn't make a meal of it. It seems to me that we are too nice. When we have something go against us we need to be in the ref's face continuously. I want to here Paul bitching about bad decisions. It puts pressure on the ref to "even it up". We get the wrong end of decisions too many times and this has to change.

Having said all this the players need to take responsibility for the dreadful mistakes we are making - we try and be a bit to clever sometime - Macca needs to find touch with difficult passbacks rather than trying (an failing to control them).

I'm unconvinced with getting rid of Hurst however for the following reasons.
1. Is there any better alternatives?
2. Would Fenty get the right man even if he was available?
3. Would a new manager take time to bed in causing more instability?

However if we are not even making the playoffs this season it needs to be the end of Hurst as that would be catastrophic failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Would that be Danny Parslow or the bloke that put him on?  

I couldn't possibly say

Private Message
Reply: 152 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:02pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I haven't read most of this thread mainly because I can't be bothered. What I have seen from social media, on here on other threads and with the booing and comments at BP on Monday though borders on ridiculous.

Yes, we have had some disappointing results and the 2-0 defeat against Macclesfield was terrible in terms of the result but anyone who was actually there would be hard pushed to say we didn't play well. The second goal was just quality and the first goal was down to an individual error (McKeown) whose indecision let us down for once.

We did, however, dominate possession, play some decent football and barely got out of Macclesfield's half. On another day we win that match 3-0. We got done by the sucker punch, it happens. People need to remember the bigger picture. Since Hurst has been in sole charge, we have reduced the playing budget (from the board) year on year and we have still improved in league position on the pitch.

We have assembled a good squad and it is still early days. I am not overly concerned about Forest Green - there is always an early pace-setter. I am a little concerned about Wrexham (their second goal on Saturday was class) but I think on any day we are as good as anyone in the division.

Being negative after less than 10 games is both pointless and too shorter time-scale to truly judge a team. Take Lincoln, I expected much more of them on Saturday and thought they were rubbish. Football is a funny old game and things can only get better.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 153 - 169
jonnyboy82
September 2, 2015, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Paris mariner how many more years does fenty want to stick with paul before he thinks it will get better.

Because we are still waiting.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I haven't read most of this thread mainly because I can't be bothered. What I have seen from social media, on here on other threads and with the booing and comments at BP on Monday though borders on ridiculous.

Yes, we have had some disappointing results and the 2-0 defeat against Macclesfield was terrible in terms of the result but anyone who was actually there would be hard pushed to say we didn't play well. The second goal was just quality and the first goal was down to an individual error (McKeown) whose indecision let us down for once.

We did, however, dominate possession, play some decent football and barely got out of Macclesfield's half. On another day we win that match 3-0. We got done by the sucker punch, it happens. People need to remember the bigger picture. Since Hurst has been in sole charge, we have reduced the playing budget (from the board) year on year and we have still improved in league position on the pitch.

We have assembled a good squad and it is still early days. I am not overly concerned about Forest Green - there is always an early pace-setter. I am a little concerned about Wrexham (their second goal on Saturday was class) but I think on any day we are as good as anyone in the division.

Being negative after less than 10 games is both pointless and too shorter time-scale to truly judge a team. Take Lincoln, I expected much more of them on Saturday and thought they were rubbish. Football is a funny old game and things can only get better.

But Monday was just like so many other home games under Hurst's management. Hand on heart, even allowing for an hour with 10 men against Lincoln, would you have changed the complete midfield and left out the Man of The Match from the last home game (East)?
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:33pm
Main Stander
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Paris mariner how many more years does fenty want to stick with paul before he thinks it will get better.

Because we are still waiting.

As I stated - we have improved year on year despite a reduced budget under the Fenty - Hurst regime.Those are the facts - it is difficult to argue with that. We got a club record points total last season FFS. I expect us, despite a slow start, to do the same this year.

People have to remember and finally accept we are no longer a Championship club. We are non-league and a good non-league side at that. Yes, we have great support and would slot in nicely back to League 2 off the pitch but on it we are where we are and we have players befitting of that level. They make mistakes, they don't always hit the target and this is representative of our status.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 156 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:35pm
Main Stander
Further to this, Fenty tried the quick hire and fire method early in his chairmanship with drastic results. Credit where it's due, the ship has been steadied and we are seemingly back on an upward curve again. One or two matches are a microcosm of a season and people need to realise that before the bash out on their keyboards some of the moronic drivel seen on here.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 157 - 169
September 2, 2015, 2:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Okay here is my views.

1. Tinkering with the side - I'm pretty certain the best outfield side is East at RB, Nsiala, Pearson, Robertson (LB) Monkhouse, Disley, Clay, Arnold, Bogle, Amond. In the Buckley MK1 and MK2 era's you could almost turn up to the game knowing the side in advance.  continuity bread confidence and players knew each other's positioning and attributes. If it's not working - say, e.g our famous win against Leicester in the league cup you can change things from the bench.

2. He hasn't made the one change that is necessary - We need Mckeown out the side as he is clearly shot. He needs a few games out the firing line.

3. Bringing Robinson in on loan was a mistake - It has affected Clay (who was playing really well until he came in) and he hasn't added everything.

4. Playing Gowling - Josh is a good player but Pearson and Nsiala have been playing together for a year now and know each other's game inside out. With two new strikers trying to learn how to play together it makes sense to keep it simple at the back.

5. Not "cheating" - going back to the Wembley final when there keeper should have been sent off we didn't make a meal of it. It seems to me that we are too nice. When we have something go against us we need to be in the ref's face continuously. I want to here Paul bitching about bad decisions. It puts pressure on the ref to "even it up". We get the wrong end of decisions too many times and this has to change.

Having said all this the players need to take responsibility for the dreadful mistakes we are making - we try and be a bit to clever sometime - Macca needs to find touch with difficult passbacks rather than trying (an failing to control them).

However if we are not even making the playoffs this season it needs to be the end of Hurst as that would be catastrophic failure.

Yes. All of this.
Reply: 158 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I was there and although we created some chances we didn't play well and did their keeper have that many saves to make and second half we were to put it bluntly shite.
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:56pm
Main Stander
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But Monday was just like so many other home games under Hurst's management. Hand on heart, even allowing for an hour with 10 men against Lincoln, would you have changed the complete midfield and left out the Man of The Match from the last home game (East)?

Admittedly, I was surprised with the changes from the Lincoln game on Monday following such a good performance. I would not have dropped Arnold and Disley.

I disagree with arryarryarry in that we were "shite". I maintain on another day we win 3-0 easily with the possession and chances created which were largely blazed over.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 160 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 2:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
There is always an early pace setter. Last season's won the league.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
First half against Macclesfield, I thought we looked decent, were well on top and controlled the game. Should have been a goal or two up before they took the lead. Second half, however, I thought we were pretty poor which was disappointing when we needed to score to get anything out of the game. Despite this, we still managed to miss the target with, what, 4 or 5 decent headed chances?

We came back well against Torquay the other week but never looked like doing much against Macclesfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 169
RonMariner
September 4, 2015, 7:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
There is always an early pace setter. Last season's won the league.

As did Fleetwood, and Crawley when they hit the top early. The exceptions were Luton and Mansfield who both went on staggering winning runs.

So  three times in the five seasons we have been in this division, the title has gone to the early pace setters, and none of them as I recall actually won the first 7 as FGR have done. So the portents are looking decidedly bad. Furthermore there are several other good sides with a big lead on us already. Even if FGR slip, one of the other top teams could race well ahead of us.

Personally I think FGR are more likely to increase their lead over us in the coming weeks because we are so flimsy at the back. To get back into the title race would mean that we have to do a Luton, and basically sweep aside all opposition for months on end. At this point that does not appear likely.

So even though we have only played 7 games, my personal opinion is that we are looking at a play off place at best. I sure hope I am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2015, 7:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

As did Fleetwood, and Crawley when they hit the top early. The exceptions were Luton and Mansfield who both went on staggering winning runs.

So  three times in the five seasons we have been in this division, the title has gone to the early pace setters, and none of them as I recall actually won the first 7 as FGR have done. So the portents are looking decidedly bad. Furthermore there are several other good sides with a big lead on us already. Even if FGR slip, one of the other top teams could race well ahead of us.

Personally I think FGR are more likely to increase their lead over us in the coming weeks because we are so flimsy at the back. To get back into the title race would mean that we have to do a Luton, and basically sweep aside all opposition for months on end. At this point that does not appear likely.

So even though we have only played 7 games, my personal opinion is that we are looking at a play off place at best. I sure hope I am wrong.

I'm so pleased that someone does all this analytical stuff, it's basically like saying that we have never really had a chance because we always start slowly.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 169
Garth
September 4, 2015, 10:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Okay here is my views.

Cant argue with any of that, my thoughts exactly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
September 5, 2015, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RonMariner

Looking at the table, I sure hope you are right!

I was/am very optimistic of challenging for the title, but if it was to be the play offs surely we would be in a better position this time round to win them?

Private Message
Reply: 166 - 169
dapperz fun pub
September 5, 2015, 8:12am
Special Brew Drinker
The team on paper is better but the manager is still the same tactically, for me he over thinks things looking at what could happen rather than what should happen like playing our best players  👏👏👏🐟 interesting that it appears many don't have any faith in fenty picking a replacement so would rather hold on to hurst 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 169
RonMariner
September 5, 2015, 1:22pm

Special Brew Drinker

Looking at the table, I sure hope you are right!

I was/am very optimistic of challenging for the title, but if it was to be the play offs surely we would be in a better position this time round to win them?

I hope so, but am not very confident. Until we get some solidity at the back we can't approach any games with confidence. In the play offs we would be up against better teams than the last four we have played, none of which we have beaten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 169
rancido
September 5, 2015, 2:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
We need to get back to basics and try to repeat what helped us get to the final. A right-back who is a right-back and a left-back who is a left-back would be a good starting point. Then have Toto and Pearson together as centre-backs - why split a pairing that was so good for us last season. We certainly need to play Dis and Clay together in centre-mid with Marshal and Arnold out wide. I know Mckreth played a lot for us last season out wide but he has never impressed me and certainly doesn't attack his full-back half as much as he does. We have Bogle and Podge up front and should certainly persist with them as a starting pairing so they can develop a good working relationship. If after 60 mins a combination isn't working then adjust from the bench , don't wait until 10 mins from the end and expect someone to be a game changer.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 169
17 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.