MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bogle and Amond are lazy players (Amond's movement in particular is excellent when he's playing at his best). I just don't think they are as ridiculously energetic in chasing down the ball as LJL and Hannah. Bogle appears to have a habit of losing concentration from time to time leading to the defenders nipping in and winning balls that they shouldn't but if he can work on that he's got a lot more potential to develop as a striker. I'd like to see him challenging defenders for aerial balls a bit better as well. You don't necessarily need to win too many of the headers, just make sure the defender can't get in a good clearance. Without actually being seen to foul them, obviously.

At non-league level, I don't think you're going to tick every box. In the same way as you talk about strikers, I'd love us to have a progressive midfielder who goes box to box like Cunnington and Groves used to - Disley does it to an extent but a. he's getting on and b. he needs to/gets told to defend
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 169
horsforthmariner
September 2, 2015, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
Okay here is my views.

Hurst has made some mistakes this season.

1. Tinkering with the side - I'm pretty certain the best outfield side is East at RB, Nsiala, Pearson, Robertson (LB) Monkhouse, Disley, Clay, Arnold, Bogle, Amond. In the Buckley MK1 and MK2 era's you could almost turn up to the game knowing the side in advance.  continuity bread confidence and players knew each other's positioning and attributes. If it's not working - say, e.g our famous win against Leicester in the league cup you can change things from the bench.

2. He hasn't made the one change that is necessary - We need Mckeown out the side as he is clearly shot. He needs a few games out the firing line.

3. Bringing Robinson in on loan was a mistake - It has affected Clay (who was playing really well until he came in) and he hasn't added everything.

4. Playing Gowling - Josh is a good player but Pearson and Nsiala have been playing together for a year now and know each other's game inside out. With two new strikers trying to learn how to play together it makes sense to keep it simple at the back.

5. Not "cheating" - going back to the Wembley final when there keeper should have been sent off we didn't make a meal of it. It seems to me that we are too nice. When we have something go against us we need to be in the ref's face continuously. I want to here Paul bitching about bad decisions. It puts pressure on the ref to "even it up". We get the wrong end of decisions too many times and this has to change.

Having said all this the players need to take responsibility for the dreadful mistakes we are making - we try and be a bit to clever sometime - Macca needs to find touch with difficult passbacks rather than trying (an failing to control them).

I'm unconvinced with getting rid of Hurst however for the following reasons.
1. Is there any better alternatives?
2. Would Fenty get the right man even if he was available?
3. Would a new manager take time to bed in causing more instability?

However if we are not even making the playoffs this season it needs to be the end of Hurst as that would be catastrophic failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Would that be Danny Parslow or the bloke that put him on?  

I couldn't possibly say

Private Message
Reply: 152 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:02pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I haven't read most of this thread mainly because I can't be bothered. What I have seen from social media, on here on other threads and with the booing and comments at BP on Monday though borders on ridiculous.

Yes, we have had some disappointing results and the 2-0 defeat against Macclesfield was terrible in terms of the result but anyone who was actually there would be hard pushed to say we didn't play well. The second goal was just quality and the first goal was down to an individual error (McKeown) whose indecision let us down for once.

We did, however, dominate possession, play some decent football and barely got out of Macclesfield's half. On another day we win that match 3-0. We got done by the sucker punch, it happens. People need to remember the bigger picture. Since Hurst has been in sole charge, we have reduced the playing budget (from the board) year on year and we have still improved in league position on the pitch.

We have assembled a good squad and it is still early days. I am not overly concerned about Forest Green - there is always an early pace-setter. I am a little concerned about Wrexham (their second goal on Saturday was class) but I think on any day we are as good as anyone in the division.

Being negative after less than 10 games is both pointless and too shorter time-scale to truly judge a team. Take Lincoln, I expected much more of them on Saturday and thought they were rubbish. Football is a funny old game and things can only get better.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 153 - 169
jonnyboy82
September 2, 2015, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Paris mariner how many more years does fenty want to stick with paul before he thinks it will get better.

Because we are still waiting.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I haven't read most of this thread mainly because I can't be bothered. What I have seen from social media, on here on other threads and with the booing and comments at BP on Monday though borders on ridiculous.

Yes, we have had some disappointing results and the 2-0 defeat against Macclesfield was terrible in terms of the result but anyone who was actually there would be hard pushed to say we didn't play well. The second goal was just quality and the first goal was down to an individual error (McKeown) whose indecision let us down for once.

We did, however, dominate possession, play some decent football and barely got out of Macclesfield's half. On another day we win that match 3-0. We got done by the sucker punch, it happens. People need to remember the bigger picture. Since Hurst has been in sole charge, we have reduced the playing budget (from the board) year on year and we have still improved in league position on the pitch.

We have assembled a good squad and it is still early days. I am not overly concerned about Forest Green - there is always an early pace-setter. I am a little concerned about Wrexham (their second goal on Saturday was class) but I think on any day we are as good as anyone in the division.

Being negative after less than 10 games is both pointless and too shorter time-scale to truly judge a team. Take Lincoln, I expected much more of them on Saturday and thought they were rubbish. Football is a funny old game and things can only get better.

But Monday was just like so many other home games under Hurst's management. Hand on heart, even allowing for an hour with 10 men against Lincoln, would you have changed the complete midfield and left out the Man of The Match from the last home game (East)?
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:33pm
Main Stander
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Paris mariner how many more years does fenty want to stick with paul before he thinks it will get better.

Because we are still waiting.

As I stated - we have improved year on year despite a reduced budget under the Fenty - Hurst regime.Those are the facts - it is difficult to argue with that. We got a club record points total last season FFS. I expect us, despite a slow start, to do the same this year.

People have to remember and finally accept we are no longer a Championship club. We are non-league and a good non-league side at that. Yes, we have great support and would slot in nicely back to League 2 off the pitch but on it we are where we are and we have players befitting of that level. They make mistakes, they don't always hit the target and this is representative of our status.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 156 - 169
Paris Mariner
September 2, 2015, 2:35pm
Main Stander
Further to this, Fenty tried the quick hire and fire method early in his chairmanship with drastic results. Credit where it's due, the ship has been steadied and we are seemingly back on an upward curve again. One or two matches are a microcosm of a season and people need to realise that before the bash out on their keyboards some of the moronic drivel seen on here.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 157 - 169
September 2, 2015, 2:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Okay here is my views.

Hurst has made some mistakes this season.

1. Tinkering with the side - I'm pretty certain the best outfield side is East at RB, Nsiala, Pearson, Robertson (LB) Monkhouse, Disley, Clay, Arnold, Bogle, Amond. In the Buckley MK1 and MK2 era's you could almost turn up to the game knowing the side in advance.  continuity bread confidence and players knew each other's positioning and attributes. If it's not working - say, e.g our famous win against Leicester in the league cup you can change things from the bench.

2. He hasn't made the one change that is necessary - We need Mckeown out the side as he is clearly shot. He needs a few games out the firing line.

3. Bringing Robinson in on loan was a mistake - It has affected Clay (who was playing really well until he came in) and he hasn't added everything.

4. Playing Gowling - Josh is a good player but Pearson and Nsiala have been playing together for a year now and know each other's game inside out. With two new strikers trying to learn how to play together it makes sense to keep it simple at the back.

5. Not "cheating" - going back to the Wembley final when there keeper should have been sent off we didn't make a meal of it. It seems to me that we are too nice. When we have something go against us we need to be in the ref's face continuously. I want to here Paul bitching about bad decisions. It puts pressure on the ref to "even it up". We get the wrong end of decisions too many times and this has to change.

Having said all this the players need to take responsibility for the dreadful mistakes we are making - we try and be a bit to clever sometime - Macca needs to find touch with difficult passbacks rather than trying (an failing to control them).

I'm unconvinced with getting rid of Hurst however for the following reasons.
1. Is there any better alternatives?
2. Would Fenty get the right man even if he was available?
3. Would a new manager take time to bed in causing more instability?

However if we are not even making the playoffs this season it needs to be the end of Hurst as that would be catastrophic failure.

Yes. All of this.
Reply: 158 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I was there and although we created some chances we didn't play well and did their keeper have that many saves to make and second half we were to put it bluntly shite.
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.