arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 97

I think two things happened; firstly, opposing forwards started putting Gowling and Toto under pressure when we were trying to play it from the back, and secondly, the high ball to Monkhouse was found out.

Since then, we've stopped playing it from the back, panic has set in, and without Monkhouse there's not a lot of invention.

Although it seems that most on here have already decided Hurst should go, I still think that if he plays a settled team from now on we've got as good as chance as any. We'll see.

That's the big problem, he messed about with the team for the Torquay game and it blew up in his face so you would have thought he would have learned from that, he then does the very same thing for Macclesfield and we lose.

So who is to say he will now try to play with a settled team, sometimes I wonder if he does it just to p!ss off the fans

Private Message
Reply: 130 - 169
Vance Warner
September 2, 2015, 10:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
The Torquay game was undoubtedly a poor selection particularly starting with Arnold up front IMO. It also took far too long to change things when it was obvious from the start we had no outlet up front. However, making changes after playing with ten men in a derby game on a warm day two days before isn't the most ridiculous thing to do. The players that came in should have been good enough to do a job on Macclesfield.

As a separate point I wonder how many Lenny haters are staring to appreciate the job he did in holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our defence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 169
ackomariner
September 2, 2015, 10:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Vance Warner
The Torquay game was undoubtedly a poor selection particularly starting with Arnold up front IMO. It also took far too long to change things when it was obvious from the start we had no outlet up front. However, making changes after playing with ten men in a derby game on a warm day two days before isn't the most ridiculous thing to do. The players that came in should have been good enough to do a job on Macclesfield.

As a separate point I wonder how many Lenny haters are staring to appreciate the job he did in holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our defence.

Your last paragraph .....not bothered Lewis has gone, don't miss him one bit....we've got better forwards this season just left with a manager that keeps messing with things when there's no need

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 11:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
I don't think it's coincidence that we're conceding a lot more without LJL running around like a lunatic up front putting the opposition defences under pressure and generally being a nuisance.

On the other hand, I don't think it is a coincidence that we're scoring more goals and creating more chances without LJL running around like a lunatic up front!  

A balance somewhere between the two would be nice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 169
lowerfindus
September 2, 2015, 11:41am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Vance Warner

Our form has naff all to do with LJL and everything to do with a shaky goalkeeper and too many changes to the team.

Ive often thought Hurst has his favourites but he has dropped Pearson and Disley. Unfortunately the one that should be dropped is McKeown.

As a manager I just dont think he has it, yes he has learnt from some of his mistakes but the underlying stubbornness and lack of real positivity prevents him from winning those key games.

Its unreal how often we faulter just when you think the momentum is with us.

It cannot be all down to bad luck .

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 169
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2015, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,788
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Vance Warner

The thing is though our defence has hardly been under any pressure at all! Between them, Lincoln and Macclesfield hardly had an attack, so it is certainly not down to that. Individual errors and unforced team changes are to blame. Our front two this year are proper strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner

Being a non-fan of Lenny doesn't make you a hater. What a crass phrase!

Being a non-fan of Hurst, I didn't appreciate the fact that he picked him game in, game out despite having runs of games without scoring and giving the rest of the team the 'lump it to Lenny' hoofball mentality.

All of that said, Newport aren't exactly setting League 2 alight are they?
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 12:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from 97

It was in our hands for a couple of games, when we went on a great run last spring. Yes, I appreciate we blew it, but the fact remains that they were caught and had pretty much resigned themselves to the play offs at one point.

It wasn't in our hands; the closest we got was a point behind (effectively 2 with the gd) with 5 games to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31997206

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 12:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being a non-fan of Lenny doesn't make you a hater. What a crass phrase!

It's what da kidz say these days to describe anything they don't like, apparently!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 169
friskneymariner
September 2, 2015, 12:53pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
That was a point I was always making Lenny was too involved in  a defensive role to get the best out of him as a striker.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.