Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 136 Guests

Time for a change now to save this season

This thread currently has 19,992 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
September 1, 2015, 6:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Whoever we bring in we are pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot with this squad anyway, hurst deserves no praise for previous playoff spots with the budget he gets, it's like asking me to manage Man City with the aim to finish in the top ten, so let's stop messing about get rid and push the boat out for a manager that has got the nous to get us over that final hurdle.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 169
GollyGTFC
September 1, 2015, 6:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Rik e B
I see the cretins have crawled out from under their rocks, people who rarely attend and perversely seem to long for a poor run of results in order to force change. To those who go regularly this isn't pointed at you and your opinion whatever it may be is ten times more valid.

I missed today because of work and Altrincham so perhaps minutely skewiffed view but I'm happy to stick rather than twist based on the rest of the matches played that I have witnessed.

I've been to every game this season. Generally we have played quite well in patches this season, but it's a results industry. Results haven't been good enough and anybody with a remote understanding of football can see why. The Kidderminster game sums up everything that has followed.

Both goals at Kidderminster, the 2nd at Altrincham, both against Torquay, Lincoln's penalty and the first yesterday were all self inflicted. It's not bad luck. If our defending is so bad that we need 3 goals to win a game it's hardly surprising to find ourselves down in 11th after 7 games.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 169
Badger57
September 1, 2015, 7:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Cheers for clarifying bud. I got confused by the bit which said "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?"

In answer to your question, I thought, "well maybe i was wrong, he's got closer to success this time and we just need an extra push." I'm glad I did chip in but I think my original conclusion that he won't get us promoted was probably right.

I think the guy seems to have an eye for a good player but he mucks up too often in team selection. He still seems to fear the opposition too much and tries to counter what they do when we have the wherewithal to f*ck most sides in this league right over, he puts square pegs in round holes when he doesn't need to, he has an idiosyncratic loyalty to some players but equally odd ability to drop players for minor dips in performance, he has a stubbornness about not having a substitute goalie, he persists with loanees who appear to bring no more than squad players already on the books.

Perfectly put.  Nothing has changed. Einstein's oft quoted definition of insanity is doing something over and over again expecting a different result.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 169
Mariner Timsky
September 1, 2015, 7:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
I keep reading 'out of the title race' , , seriously? 39 games are still to play!! And those saying that we are out of the title race and want Hurst out then what's the point!?!?

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 169
BraStrap
September 1, 2015, 7:26am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
If forest green win every game there's nothing else anyone can do. Its just a question of a top 5 finish.

We have switched to a more attacking style this season because people were moaning we were too defensive. They are still moaning. Hurst should go back to what he was doing originally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 169
highcliff mariner
September 1, 2015, 7:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
I keep reading 'out of the title race' , , seriously? 39 games are still to play!! And those saying that we are out of the title race and want Hurst out then what's the point!?!?

1st sentence is spot on 😃
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 169
Grim74
September 1, 2015, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Have you looked at the league table? the point is we want promotion, and we are not goining to get it with the tinkering one. Automatic promotion was the aim even the bookies had us favourites this year but tinker is failing miserably his stubbornness wil be his downfall.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 169
1mickylyons
September 1, 2015, 7:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
In the event Hurst goes who would we fancy coming in? My shout Neil Aspin at Halifax think he has done a good job on a much smaller budget and think with his knowledge of this league he could get us firing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 169
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,524
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1mickylyons
In the event Hurst goes who would we fancy coming in? My shout Neil Aspin at Halifax think he has done a good job on a much smaller budget and think with his knowledge of this league he could get us firing.

I would not want us to play Aspin's style of 'football' as seen at Halifax i.e. kicking chunks out of the opposition, diving and generally cheating. Oh, you may have noticed that Halifax are currently sitting in the relegation spots as well.

I don't think we have any god-given right to be at the top of the table (especially when there are a few teams with bigger budgets than ours), but we should certainly be a lot closer to the top than we are now. But for individual errors, I'd have thought we should have another 4 or 5 points on the board at the very least.

A lot of people point out that Luton kept changing managers until they got it right, but it shouldn't be forgotten that they had a lot more money to spend than us as well. They could effectively afford to keep chopping and changing until they got it right. I don't think we can.

Ultimately, I think changing manager at this point in the season would be pretty ridiculous. If you're going to let a manager sign a number of players over the course of the summer, getting rid after a slow start to the season is just daft. If we haven't clicked and seen a good improvement in form by the end of the month, then maybe you need to think about a change, but after 3 weeks of the season? No.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 169
MarinerGaz
September 1, 2015, 8:21am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Quoted from GrimRob
Every major bookmaker has us as second favourites to get promoted still. Do we really need to save the season?

I would think that's mostly because a lot of money has already been bet on Town to win and the squad is relatively strong, the bookies can't afford the price to go out too far now...if a new manager came in and turned things around they would be cutting their own throats! Of course we can still statistically win the title, that's what we all really want, but the current odds aren't solely reflective of the current situation (i.e. they aren't backing for a PH masterplan)...a title contending team has been built, the formula for the delivery has yet to be realised!...should the current situation continue, punters won't get a payout for midtable come the end of the season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 169
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.