Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 140 Guests

Time for a change now to save this season

This thread currently has 19,991 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Quite witty but you could have highlighted the next bit which goes on to qualify his statement/question  

What you mean the bit where he says: "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?" which strongly suggested he was only asking people who donated.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Caesar

No not at all! I wouldn't want it to be which is why I addedd that I was really interested in responses.  I put in money cos I trusted Hurst to use it well.  So for me it is too soon to change my mind.  Is really not meant to be a barrier to stop people criticising (fairly tbh) Hurst.  Sorry if it read that way!

Cheers for clarifying bud. I got confused by the bit which said "Or did you feel as you were giving money for a different reason?"

In answer to your question, I thought, "well maybe i was wrong, he's got closer to success this time and we just need an extra push." I'm glad I did chip in but I think my original conclusion that he won't get us promoted was probably right.

I think the guy seems to have an eye for a good player but he mucks up too often in team selection. He still seems to fear the opposition too much and tries to counter what they do when we have the wherewithal to f*ck most sides in this league right over, he puts square pegs in round holes when he doesn't need to, he has an idiosyncratic loyalty to some players but equally odd ability to drop players for minor dips in performance, he has a stubbornness about not having a substitute goalie, he persists with loanees who appear to bring no more than squad players already on the books.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 10:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Hurst in. If certain people had of had their way during our lowest point last season I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been one penalty kick away from the Football League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I am not in favour of a knee jerk reaction. Paul has brought some talented players into the squad and they have shown they are capable of playing attractive football. At the present time the goalkeeper is a worry and that needs to be addressed. I am also beginning to feel that we need more of a physical presence in the midfield, someone who can dominate proceedings. We just have never had this in the past few seasons. Ball players are fine but you need a mix in the team and a driving force in the engine room would add that extra steel.

Knee jerk reaction? Come oooooonn! How long's the guy had? If that's a knee jerk reaction your leg probably hasn't twitched in response to that tap with the patella hammer you got five years ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 169
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2015, 10:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Hurst in. If certain people had of had their way during our lowest point last season I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been one penalty kick away from the Football League.

Or we might not needed to have gone to the play offs in the first case.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 169
dapperz fun pub
August 31, 2015, 10:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,947
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Rik e B

We lost rik, that day at Wembley was failure not success
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 169
ginnywings
August 31, 2015, 10:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rik e B

Maybe a new guy would have taken us up. It's all conjecture. My view is that if Hurst had got a striker in sooner, the league was there for the taking. Barnet weren't that good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
I see the cretins have crawled out from under their rocks, people who rarely attend and perversely seem to long for a poor run of results in order to force change. To those who go regularly this isn't pointed at you and your opinion whatever it may be is ten times more valid.

I missed today because of work and Altrincham so perhaps minutely skewiffed view but I'm happy to stick rather than twist based on the rest of the matches played that I have witnessed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 169
MarinerMal
August 31, 2015, 11:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Not a huge Hurst fan and it may well be he isn't the man to take us to the title but I don't think you can totally put the blame on him for today.

The changes were understandable given we played in a local derby on 2 days previously with 10 men in quite high temperatures. That is going to take it out of the players so it is only natural to freshen it up a little.

The changes were fairly sensible unlike the Torquay game and seemed to work fine in the first half. We probably should have scored and seemed in control of the game. Their goal came largely against the run of play IMO and was down to a keeper error, again. Apart from getting another keeper in there is not a lot the manager can do about that. Again, in the second half we started well and created a couple of chances but were hit with another goal against the run of play. That goal was poor and could have been defended better but you naturally take more risks when hunting an equaliser.

I don't think today was a day to blame the manager unlike the Torquay game were I thought he did mess up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 169
Rik e B
August 31, 2015, 11:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Maybe of course ginny, we'll never know, but one penno kick is pretty darn close and we were the best team on the day. Hurst could easily have gone down in folklore but hey its all ifs, buts and maybes but that's football.

Whoever it is I tend to lean towards stability and trying to be positive but that's just me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 169
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.