Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 105 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 61,300 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
July 25, 2014, 1:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126

I'm quoting you but it could just as easily be anyone from the "we are where we are" camp so I apologise if you feel aggrieved.

It is wrong to dwell on the past but equally wrong to accept where we are as some sort of inevitability. The present is part of the continuum but the future can be influenced by the present. If we (JF really I suppose) adopt the non-risk strategy that some are looking for on the grounds that the club could sink further if we don't, then the chances of moving upwards are hammered.

At this point you have to look back to that first season after relegation when the club had money to spend, didn't spend enough and spent some incredibly badly because JF picked the wrong manager and held the purse closed. If we do not learn lessons from that we will be in the Conference or lower for ever.

At some stage every businessman knows they have to speculate to accumulate. My gut feeling on this is that JF is the one who is really living in the past. He got his fingers burned quite badly with Newell and since then has been very reluctant to push the boat out beyond his contingency.

Now, it's his money and he can do with it as he wishes but, if he wants to see something tangible from all those years of financial backing for the club he has in my opinion reached the point of no return. Either he goes for it to attract class acts to the club or he keeps to the same policy and lets it slowly sink into mire with no chance of progress, stadium or anything else.

At the moment JF's choice of manager suits his current policy. Hurst appears to be as lacking in ambition as JF in the way his team plays and the selection of his transfer targets, but it is a bit hard to tell which of JF and PH is the chicken and which is the egg.

Excellent post (not meant as a patronising comment before Codger gets on my back-again). I wouldn't dispute your arguments about mistakes made in that first season of non-league and before and after. I suspect the problem is that those years have told on JFs personal finances and as such he may not be in a position to do other than he currently is doing. My involvement with the Trust is done purely on the basis that I believe that the only way long term that GTFC will survive is to cease our reliance on one man.
The whole thing is far too much a case of Ifs buts and maybes. If Town got promoted and JF wanted to go then would someone be prepared to step in, or would those in the "Fenty must make reparations" camp then be insisting that he bankrolls a campaign to keep us in the league or even get us promoted back to our rightful place in the Championship?
I'm afraid as a club we were at one time very glad of JFs money but those gifts always come at a price. In Town's place it means that he continues to "call the shots".

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 340
barralad
July 25, 2014, 1:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In a democratic vote where someone moved the goalposts halfway through the process as Quagmire eloquently stated earlier this thread

I can only assume you are referring to the bit about JF saying that he might have to sell Liam. Nobody knows whether he would have been forced to carry out that threat. Thankfully common sense prevailed.....

N.B. You seem to call a lot of people patronising. Is that because you cannot come up with another word for people who don't share your jaundiced views?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 340
barralad
July 25, 2014, 1:41pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I don't get the mentality of some posters who seem to think because you criticise the owner/manager/players you are not a proper supporter and should give up following Town. That's a very Stalinist attitude.

Everyone's entitled to express their opinions, even those who believe JF is saving the club  .

And I don't get the mentality that says that you are a bottom licker because you don't advocate the continual retrospective pillorying of JF. Does that make us even?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 340
lew chaterleys lover
July 25, 2014, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from barralad

Yep...you are right. Tonight I'll chain myself to the gates of Blundell Park in a powerful stand against mediocrity. I expect you and  others of a like mind to join me. That will show 'em.

I wont because I don't like friendlies.

But in a nutshell you're right - none of us can do a damned thing about it apart from share our frustrations on here.

He wont go because he wants to get some of his money back (presumably something to do with the new stadium) nobody will come in 'cos he needs paying off, and he wont/can't buy the calibre of player to show intent.

Lets hope we get lucky on the field then.

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 340
headingly_mariner
July 25, 2014, 3:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from barralad

The "Truth" is that the members of the Trust decided to give the shares to JF in a democratic vote. I assume you voted against? Do you take your bat and ball home if the party that you vote for in an election don't get elected?- I genuinely don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that?

Actually I don't think you are a bad guy-don't be so hard on yourself.

It was a vote that never needed to happen, the trust in it's infancy was never going to challange for control of the club, IMO it was quite a cold and ruthless move at the expense of the fans and the scaremongering was uneccessary and honestly classless. I can understand why people voted to give the shares up, they were scared.

I felt extremely sorry for Mike Parker, who actually pumped £1.25 million into the club knowing he would get nothing back, he hasn't saddled the club with any debt, he was put in a position where he would have had to purchase all of the shares in the club, which would cost a small fortune and not improve the finances of the club but that of the other major shareholders. Someone with a wild imagination might think that the share issue was engineered by people looking to recoup losses at Parker's expense, but that would surely be crazy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 340
headingly_mariner
July 25, 2014, 3:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Would you write off your money in his position?

We as fans do not get the season ticket money back if we have a bad season and we don't make the decisions. It's really about the health of the club, nobody is likely to pay upwards of 3 million quid for it, i know of people who have been interested in taking the club on but will not in it's current state. I would like to think that if i had got it so wrong that i would not stand in the way of the club progressing when i had given up trying to make a success of it myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2014, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

N.B. You seem to call a lot of people patronising. Is that because you cannot come up with another word for people who don't share your jaundiced views?

I can think of several other words that describe your 'superior than thou' posts - condescending, demeaning etc.

You may be on the committee of an entity that purports to act on behalf of the fans but it doesn't make you better than anyone else who supports Grimsby Town. As I posted earlier (to try and round this up), we all support the club, we all want to be back in the league, we all believe that 5 years in the 5th tier is too long but we don't all agree on how it is likely to happen or that it is likely to happen at all.

What is clear from this thread is that my views aren't any more jaundiced than yours. One poster has called us buffoons even, for having a view that might just vary from Mr Fentys party line. What will you come up with next?
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2014, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It was a vote that never needed to happen, the trust in it's infancy was never going to challange for control of the club, IMO it was quite a cold and ruthless move at the expense of the fans and the scaremongering was uneccessary and honestly classless. I can understand why people voted to give the shares up, they were scared.

I felt extremely sorry for Mike Parker, who actually pumped £1.25 million into the club knowing he would get nothing back, he hasn't saddled the club with any debt, he was put in a position where he would have had to purchase all of the shares in the club, which would cost a small fortune and not improve the finances of the club but that of the other major shareholders. Someone with a wild imagination might think that the share issue was engineered by people looking to recoup losses at Parker's expense, but that would surely be crazy!

Excellent points in an excellent post!
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 340
Garth
July 25, 2014, 4:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner

We as fans do not get the season ticket money back if we have a bad season and we don't make the decisions. It's really about the health of the club, nobody is likely to pay upwards of 3 million quid for it, i know of people who have been interested in taking the club on but will not in it's current state. I would like to think that if i had got it so wrong that i would not stand in the way of the club progressing when i had given up trying to make a success of it myself.

For the umpteen time within the last four seasons who, name names or we of little knowledge will have to dismiss it as small talk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 340
headingly_mariner
July 25, 2014, 4:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Garth

For the umpteen time within the last four seasons who, name names or we of little knowledge will have to dismiss it as small talk

I couldn't care less if you think it's small talk, i know that my info is kosher without having to name anyone. i'm confident that the club would have a few suitors if it was offered without it's substantial debt and without it's current board. To be fair though, i hope the club is a success on the pitch, we get promoted and the club can be successful again in the football league whoever is in charge, however i won't forget the way that the fans have been treated over the last 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.