Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 119 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 61,293 views. Print
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2014, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

You ask for realism and then suggest that Mr Fenty and the others don't know that our position isn't what fans of GTFC expect? The only way to further this club for me IS to have a competitive budget so that we stop (or at least slow down) the reliance on one man for our future. Such things do not happen overnight but will eventually see the club on a much firmer footing. Every season that we rely on the benefices of one person we run the risk of the tap being turned off. If you think it doesn't happen look at some of the clubs who have tried to spend their way to the top , often with the money of one person.
I'm not quite sure what you expect anyone to say to JF that will have any effect on the amount of money he is prepared to spend. Would you be prepared to be told if it were your money?

So why don't you and your colleagues on the trust use your board positions to ask Mr Fenty to write off some of the money that he has put into the club during the past 12 years. This would show that his intention is not to cripple the club financially as it currently appears on the balance sheet.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 340
barralad
July 24, 2014, 10:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from TAGG

I don't live in the past but I as a Town fan for over 40 years is proud of our clubs past which is a totally different thing.
I don't revel in our 'misfortunes' I merely try to point out to people like yourself who is responsible for these 'misfortunes'
I support, follow and love Town and always will do.
I would love to start a season with massive optimism but I cant see any positives. It seems to me that our nearest rivals have there teams together with quality signings ready for the seasons start.
We as fans seem to live on broken promises, fiddling about with trialists and Managements target players that don't want to sign for a great club like Town for whatever reasons that apparently aren't financial so why don't they want to come here???????

As I've said elsewhere...we don't need to be reminded...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 340
lew chaterleys lover
July 24, 2014, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from barralad

I expected a reply along those lines. Disappointing but that's life I suppose. The decision to give Mr Fenty those shares was made by a vote of the membership. It's called democracy.  I'd better leave you to weep, wail and gnash your teeth about how far we've fallen. Nothing was ever improved by continually looking back.

And nothing was ever improved by accepting mediocrity.

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2014, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

I expected a reply along those lines. Disappointing but that's life I suppose. The decision to give Mr Fenty those shares was made by a vote of the membership. It's called democracy.  I'd better leave you to weep, wail and gnash your teeth about how far we've fallen. Nothing was ever improved by continually looking back.

Perfect, make the bloke telling the truth look like the bad guy with a patronising reply, which I am, and you know it.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 340
KingstonMariner
July 24, 2014, 10:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Stockport spring to mind. In the same league as us in 2001/02 now in "Whatever it's Called" North...

Luton's "bounce-back" cannot hide the fact that their "regime" were responsible for their calamitous fall because they didn't know right from wrong...

We all know how far we have fallen under JFs stewardship but some see the need to keep reminding us. Pretty pointless exercise in my opinion. Personally I blame Adolf Hitler. Without WW2 we'd have still been in Division 1.

Jimmy Hill didn't help either. Him and his campaign to end the maximum wage. Bah!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 340
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 24, 2014, 10:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Perfect, make the bloke telling the truth look like the bad guy with a patronising reply, which I am, and you know it.

How come only your opinion is allowed to be the truth, I did not realise you attend all the board meetings and are privy to everything that has gone on behind closed doors for the last 12 years.

The truth is people are sick of the pessimistic drivel you spout at every opportunity, Why not change the record and try support the team you say you love so dearly

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 340
lew chaterleys lover
July 24, 2014, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

How come only your opinion is allowed to be the truth, I did not realise you attend all the board meetings and are privy to everything that has gone on behind closed doors for the last 12 years.

The truth is people are sick of the pessimistic drivel you spout at every opportunity, Why not change the record and try support the team you say you love so dearly

You are mixing up support for the team with valid criticism of the owner.

Two entirely different things.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 340
KingstonMariner
July 24, 2014, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
The grass is always greener. If PH had achieved what he had here (two fourth place finishes, and several good cup/FAT runs) at any other club in the division people of here would be crying out for him to be appointed as manager. He remains the best realistic candidate for the job, and another fourth place finish would be a good return for the season.

Any other club would be happy (except maybe Bristol Rovers). But us? Would you be happy if next season ended like the last 2?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 340
GrimRob
July 24, 2014, 10:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,418
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from TAGG

I would love to start a season with massive optimism but I cant see any positives.

You're not looking very hard! Play-offs the last two years, FA Cup run and FAT successes, most of last season's squad retained, a solid and stable management structure. A board who are putting in more money that they club receive in income. The bookies make us one of the favourites for promotion.

That's far more than most clubs in our division have. Stop moaning and get on with the job of supporting. We haven't played a game yet, there's every reason to be positive!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 108 - 340
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 24, 2014, 11:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Nothing was ever improved by continually looking back.

I'm quoting you but it could just as easily be anyone from the "we are where we are" camp so I apologise if you feel aggrieved.

It is wrong to dwell on the past but equally wrong to accept where we are as some sort of inevitability. The present is part of the continuum but the future can be influenced by the present. If we (JF really I suppose) adopt the non-risk strategy that some are looking for on the grounds that the club could sink further if we don't, then the chances of moving upwards are hammered.

At this point you have to look back to that first season after relegation when the club had money to spend, didn't spend enough and spent some incredibly badly because JF picked the wrong manager and held the purse closed. If we do not learn lessons from that we will be in the Conference or lower for ever.

At some stage every businessman knows they have to speculate to accumulate. My gut feeling on this is that JF is the one who is really living in the past. He got his fingers burned quite badly with Newell and since then has been very reluctant to push the boat out beyond his contingency.

Now, it's his money and he can do with it as he wishes but, if he wants to see something tangible from all those years of financial backing for the club he has in my opinion reached the point of no return. Either he goes for it to attract class acts to the club or he keeps to the same policy and lets it slowly sink into mire with no chance of progress, stadium or anything else.

At the moment JF's choice of manager suits his current policy. Hurst appears to be as lacking in ambition as JF in the way his team plays and the selection of his transfer targets, but it is a bit hard to tell which of JF and PH is the chicken and which is the egg.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 340
35 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.