Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 121 Guests

Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

This thread currently has 61,298 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
July 26, 2014, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 75

Haha, quality! The cat is out of the bag! Fair play gents.

You know me BP Vicar we have met many times, Aldershot away for example and many other times with marinerian.  Will you be the judge / mediator.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 340
grimsby pete
July 26, 2014, 10:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Yes we have gone down and down in the last 10 or so years,

BUT

Does anybody think John Fenty is working against the good of the club,

Yes he has made mistakes haven't we all ?

At the end of the day all he has done is try to help the club he loves to the best of his ability,

Maybe you will say , he has done a bad job of it,

However you can not deny he has put many hours and money in trying to make it work,

Lets hope this season is the start of the climb back up the leagues,

Then all this Fenty bashing will stop on here,

Its getting rather boring now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 340
davmariner
July 26, 2014, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Returning to the topic, I think I speak for most people in saying that fans are relatively happy with what we've got so far. Arguably, as experience shows us is that the difference between a good side that can get into the playoffs and a side that will go onto win promotion is a striker that will get you 20-30 goals in a season. The past two seasons have shown us that, and we've just run out of steam at the final hurdle.

Unfortunately, the past two seasons we've been unlucky as the player that could have been the difference was out injured. No disrespect to Ross Hannah, but imagine if we'd had a fully fit Liam Hearn banging in the goals and creating chances on top of what we'd already had? The point is, we've done well without a goalscoring striker but it hasn't been enough to gain promotion. As I understand, we have one of the bigger budgets in the league and we've built a good side so far. But we need to make this count by having that goalscoring striker.

I don't know the facts regarding the Bogle, some people allege that the gap between what Solihull wanted and what we offered was £7/8000. No one knows for sure, for me personally I don't buy that story. For me the problem has been Hurst's transfer policy approach, which hasn't worked with regard to bringing in a striker. It should have been the first transfer he made, because it was one of our biggest problems last season. Waiting and waiting for a striker to drop his demands and come along doesn't necessarily work with good strikers, as it may do with other players in other positions, because they are difficult to find and are in high demand. What I seem to think has happened, is that Hurst (as he said in the Telegraph at the start of the transfer window), believed there to be a pool of high quality players and was happy to wait and be frugal, only to realise that these players have been snapped up, with some having turned us down. He later comes out and says there aren't enough quality strikers in the market. My point is, is that I think Hurst has been slow to tackle the problem and now only has a limited number of options.

If we managed to bring in that striker, I think this team can push for the title. Otherwise, I think it'll be a similar season to the last couple.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 182 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2014, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner
Returning to the topic, I think I speak for most people in saying that fans are relatively happy with what we've got so far. Arguably, as experience shows us is that the difference between a good side that can get into the playoffs and a side that will go onto win promotion is a striker that will get you 20-30 goals in a season. The past two seasons have shown us that, and we've just run out of steam at the final hurdle.

Unfortunately, the past two seasons we've been unlucky as the player that could have been the difference was out injured. No disrespect to Ross Hannah, but imagine if we'd had a fully fit Liam Hearn banging in the goals and creating chances on top of what we'd already had? The point is, we've done well without a goalscoring striker but it hasn't been enough to gain promotion. As I understand, we have one of the bigger budgets in the league and we've built a good side so far. But we need to make this count by having that goalscoring striker.

I don't know the facts regarding the Bogle, some people allege that the gap between what Solihull wanted and what we offered was £7/8000. No one knows for sure, for me personally I don't buy that story. For me the problem has been Hurst's transfer policy approach, which hasn't worked with regard to bringing in a striker. It should have been the first transfer he made, because it was one of our biggest problems last season. Waiting and waiting for a striker to drop his demands and come along doesn't necessarily work with good strikers, as it may do with other players in other positions, because they are difficult to find and are in high demand. What I seem to think has happened, is that Hurst (as he said in the Telegraph at the start of the transfer window), believed there to be a pool of high quality players and was happy to wait and be frugal, only to realise that these players have been snapped up, with some having turned us down. He later comes out and says there aren't enough quality strikers in the market. My point is, is that I think Hurst has been slow to tackle the problem and now only has a limited number of options.

If we managed to bring in that striker, I think this team can push for the title. Otherwise, I think it'll be a similar season to the last couple.

Relatively happy with what? The prospect of Shop and Hannah as our strike force while we are trialling another non scoring striker? You say that we need a striker who will score 20-30 goals this season and we are £8000 out on Bogle, well do the maths. That represents 500 fans on one home gate or 20 fans per home game through a season or less than 0.3% of the clubs debt.
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 340
FishOutOfWater
July 26, 2014, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Relatively happy with what? The prospect of Shop and Hannah as our strike force while we are trialling another non scoring striker? You say that we need a striker who will score 20-30 goals this season and we are £8000 out on Bogle, well do the maths. That represents 500 fans on one home gate or 20 fans per home game through a season or less than 0.3% of the clubs debt.

The thought, "Speculate to accumulate" springs to mind...who dares wins and all that
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 184 - 340
davmariner
July 26, 2014, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

With who we've signed so far in Mackreth, Brown, Nsiala, Arnold and Magnay. If you read my post in full, you'll find that most of it is criticising the fact we don't have a goalscorer.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 185 - 340
brigg_mariner
July 26, 2014, 11:04am

UTM...!!!
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 5
Back the players, support the team and success will come this season.

See you all in Bristol two weeks today.

UTM

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2012 (Part 2)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 186 - 340
Mariner21
July 26, 2014, 11:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
cringeworthy John. cringeworthy
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 340
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2014, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

With who we've signed so far in Mackreth, Brown, Nsiala, Arnold and Magnay. If you read my post in full, you'll find that most of it is criticising the fact we don't have a goalscorer.

Accept that but you can have all the best midfielders in the Conference, our current strikers are not good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 188 - 340
lobsterpot
July 26, 2014, 11:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Anyone fancy a pint?

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for JF to put his money where his mouth is!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.